Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Not much you can do though I wish they would make that sort of BS illegal. If it is any consolation working for big companies that abuse the temp system is a terrible experience.
Blaming Coca Cola or not is not really a big deal. I don't see why it's worth making it illegal. The reality is, the OP would not have a job based on her CR. Who made the decision does not matter, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
I wish I could answer, but I also do not understand hiring decisions based on a credit report. I know that its used a lot in the financial services industries, they want to run credit checks on their employees to see if they are "responsible with money". But even that is unfair because a person's ex-wife or ex-husband could have completely destroyed their credit. I know a woman who has bankrupted both of her ex-husbands due to bad spending habits.
Research has consistently shown that behavior extends across multiple contexts. For example, if you are friendly to your neighbor, you are more likely to be friendly to your coworkers or even a waitress. If you excessively clean your bathroom, you are more likely to also excessively clean your kitchen. If you worked hard in school, you are more likely to work hard at work. If you have good oral hygiene, you are likely to eat healthy foods as well. If you let irresponsible people into your life and trust them with your credit, it's a sign of bad judgment on your part and you're more likely to do the same again than someone who knows better.

The same applies to all sorts of other behavior. If one is careless with their liabilities, who knows what else they are careless with. It's risky to trust your business with a careless individual.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:36 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If this person is a company sales person why isn't the company booking the flights, rental cars and hotels?
Because not everyone work for a big company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
An employee can bring all sorts of drama to the workplace, whether he/she has credit problems or not. That's because employees are human, just like bosses are. Employees (and bosses) get divorced, have child custody/support battles, have deaths in the family, and all sorts of problems that have nothing to do with credit issues. Employees are not robots. The boss cannot predict what a person will go through in his/her personal life, not the boss him/herself. Qualified candidates who are not criminals should be allowed a fair chance, especially when there is a good possibility cerdit problems were not the fault of these candidates in the first place.
It sound nice and all, but the fact is there are lot more people looking for jobs than people are willing to hire. This is a simple way to weed out people with potential issues.

Agree or not agree, I am just giving you folks what the owner/management mentality is. Just because it is not right doesn't mean it is not happening.

This is business and it is still tough out there to make a buck.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM

80 posts, read 128,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Research has consistently shown that behavior extends across multiple contexts. For example, if you are friendly to your neighbor, you are more likely to be friendly to your coworkers or even a waitress. If you excessively clean your bathroom, you are more likely to also excessively clean your kitchen. If you worked hard in school, you are more likely to work hard at work. If you have good oral hygiene, you are likely to eat healthy foods as well. If you let irresponsible people into your life and trust them with your credit, it's a sign of bad judgment on your part and you're more likely to do the same again than someone who knows better.

The same applies to all sorts of other behavior. If one is careless with their liabilities, who knows what else they are careless with. It's risky to trust your business with a careless individual.
While I certainly appreciate everyone expressing their opinion, I can honestly say that I didn't choose this situation for myself or my daughter. When I got married, I certainly never viewed my now ex husband as a potential liability down the road. IMO to say that past behavior is indicative of future behavior is false. Yes I filed BR because of a divorce but I have learned from my mistake and will not make the same mistake twice! As for companies using credit as a way to weed out people with "baggage", I will say that there have been plenty of employees with stellar credit, no previous criminal convictions, etc who ultimately embezzled thousands of dollars from the organization. Please keep in mind that these were employees who didn't exhibit stereotypical behavior like being distracted, having credit issues, etc. I've also been the one to reconcile P-card transactions and I can't begin to tell you the number of honest employees without "baggage" who were using these company cards to pay for personal expenses. The point I'm making is that just because someone has had PAST credit issues doesn't make them any more of a risk than the person who has stellar credit yet embezzles from the company. You are taking a risk with any employee that you hire!!

Old 08-31-2014, 01:23 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
In this situation, I would have a couple of thoughts:

1) I wouldn't place the blame on the recruiter as some had because unlike typical HR, an agency like Randstad has a vested interest if the employee is placed.

2) If you ARE paranoid about the recruiter, this is why getting your interviewer's contact information is a good idea. Since the offer has already been rescinded, you have nothing to lose by sending an apologetic email to the interviewer with a couple of sentences explaining that you had credit issues due to a bankruptcy.

For all the hiring manager knows, the recruiter could have done something in the process and not tell the manager the reason WHY you weren't placed. Its possible the hiring manager has juice to override this, but who knows how the process goes.

Of course, that issue then turns into the hiring manager going "WTF" to the recruiter.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:38 PM

15 posts, read 15,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg9779 View Post
You are taking a risk with any employee that you hire!!

This is so true, its a risk with anyone! You employers could hire someone, they could walk in the first day of the job, trip and fall and sue for mega $$$$ for their injuries.

There is a risk with anyone. And no, hiring contractors and temporaries is not a way to completely eliminate the risk.

Besides, someone can have bad credit because of identity theft.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Research shows that 96% of claims about "research" are made up on the spot.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:40 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
And what of all the businesses that declared bankruptcy? Most of the major airlines two of the big three car companies. Are they all a bunch of irresponsible morons and should be socially ostracised? Or were they a victim of bad circumstances that needed a chance to regroup? Quite the double standard.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:13 PM

80 posts, read 128,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
And what of all the businesses that declared bankruptcy? Most of the major airlines two of the big three car companies. Are they all a bunch of irresponsible morons and should be socially ostracised? Or were they a victim of bad circumstances that needed a chance to regroup? Quite the double standard.
I'm so glad that you said this. We certainly haven't stopped doing business with these companies who filed for bankruptcy. Don't even get me started in the Big Bank bailouts. From what I can tell, a lot of the CFO's who didn't handle the company business appropriately are still in power. There's definitely a double standard!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digg9779 View Post
While I certainly appreciate everyone expressing their opinion, I can honestly say that I didn't choose this situation for myself or my daughter. When I got married, I certainly never viewed my now ex husband as a potential liability down the road. IMO to say that past behavior is indicative of future behavior is false. Yes I filed BR because of a divorce but I have learned from my mistake and will not make the same mistake twice! As for companies using credit as a way to weed out people with "baggage", I will say that there have been plenty of employees with stellar credit, no previous criminal convictions, etc who ultimately embezzled thousands of dollars from the organization. Please keep in mind that these were employees who didn't exhibit stereotypical behavior like being distracted, having credit issues, etc. I've also been the one to reconcile P-card transactions and I can't begin to tell you the number of honest employees without "baggage" who were using these company cards to pay for personal expenses. The point I'm making is that just because someone has had PAST credit issues doesn't make them any more of a risk than the person who has stellar credit yet embezzles from the company. You are taking a risk with any employee that you hire!!
I wasn't saying anything about your specific situation. I was giving a general explanation.

You're absolutely right that an employer is taking a risk with each and every employee they hire. It is in the employer's best interest to mitigate that risk. Choosing the candidate with the better history, out of two or more otherwise equal candidates, just makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search