Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 15,540 times

Advertisements

Just a word of warning if you are friends with someone & think that they will give you a reference.

I worked with someone two years ago briefly. We were friends before & after I left the place. Then we kind of drifted apart. We'd talked on the phone a lot, traded emails, and discussed many aspects of our personal lives, including she even talked to me about her bad marriage and sex life - everything. She would even call me at home late at night (after 11 p.m.) She would tell me all her problems and talk about how mean people had been to her, and about her divorce. I gave her lots of advice that she asked for. Even though we drifted apart, we had one more conversation and talked about a lot of things and wished each other well.

I am applying somewhere for a job now and they want a lot of references. I thought I could ask her to be a reference. I had not spoken to her in one year. I thought she knew my work ethic/work reputation when I worked there, even though we did not work on the same hall, and felt she'd put in a good word for me. But of course, I decided to text her first to see if she would be willing to give a reference.

When I heard back from her, she lashed out at me. Accused me of being "dishonest" and said that since she hadn't been my "supervisor", she couldn't pretend to know about my work habits. I'd never asked her to pretend to be my supervisor! Then she went on to say that she "didn't really know me that well". I texted her back and said, well okay, whatever, that it was fine if she did not want to give me a reference. She then called and left a voicemail and texted me again with more lashing out stuff: said she'd tried to call me last year but I had never returned her calls. And that she just regarded me as an acquaintance now, nothing more. (It is probably true that she called me & I didn't return her calls, but we were having lots of problems with our telephone system around that time last year).

I am not going to defend my asking her to be a reference, I realize now it was a mistake. What I don't like it all the lashing out/toxic stuff that's come out of it. I haven't texted her back or returned her voicemails, and I've actually blocked her number now from both my cell and home phone. I just wasn't expecting all this drama to arise out of a request for reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,561,198 times
Why did you mix personal/professional life with co-worker relationship? That normally isn't a good idea. If you get along, invite them out to eat and talk and call it a day and each go own way... But still seems immature to cut ties like that, you just don't do that in professional life, AKA don't burn the bridge...

Old 08-31-2014, 01:56 PM

Don't burn bridges is right.

She may find herself in my position some day - needing a reference. And she will know not to ask me for one.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:06 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,008,157 times
She must have misunderstood and not realized that you wanted her to be a coworker/peer reference and not a "pretend" supervisor reference. Did you make that clear?

Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
She must have misunderstood and not realized that you wanted her to be a coworker/peer reference and not a "pretend" supervisor reference. Did you make that clear?
I clarified it when I realized she misunderstood, but I think she just didn't listen. She went off on this tangent instead and wouldn't stop. I think there is something clearly wrong with her anyway. Probably bi polar or personality disordered.
I will be more careful from now on about people who use me as a shoulder to cry on. That doesn't mean they are my friend, or that we have a friendship.

I knew there was something wrong with her when she told me that she wanted all this free money from the government (she wanted full grants for her tuition plus money for living expenses) and also had gone around to different churches asking them for a handout. She would get angry when they did not give her money or call her back. She also lashed out at a friend of mine about a year ago. She seems to have a lot of anger and bitterness. All these things should have been red flags. In fact she is so emotionally unstable that I am kind of scared of her now; I should have let sleeping dogs lie.

Last edited by kassiopeia; 08-31-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 02:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,068,865 times
Good you found out now. Not the kind of person you would want to use as a reference anyway!

Old 08-31-2014, 04:46 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,456,526 times
At least she was up front with you. The ones who smile and agree then bash you behind your back are the most insidious ones.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,112,128 times
She sounds crazy. MSchemist80 makes a good point though - at least you found out she was crazy before you listed her as a reference. Good call in just blocking her number and moving on!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:11 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
I would not have ignored the texts, nor do you have to explain yourself. I would have responded with something like, "I was asking for a reference as a coworker but, based on your response, there is no reason for us to have any more contact with each other."

Old 08-31-2014, 06:17 PM

921 posts, read 1,133,343 times
Now you know the truth about her. She sounds like she's holding a grudge or something. I would pray a prayer of forgiveness for her & just leave her alone from this day forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search