Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 AM

34,943 posts, read 31,079,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I recommend you get rid of whoever your using to recruit employees. A posting on Monster, Career Builder, Dice or Indeed.com will yield you hundreds of applications. Especially for entry level positions.
I think the site lead was originally prohibited from using one at all. I found the job through an Indeed search of the metro area. It wasn't difficult. I'm truly surprised that no one is applying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 AM

7,915 posts, read 7,775,284 times
Indeed was good for applicants awhile ago but now since everyone knows about it some do not bother looking.

Have you tried trade publications/associations. How about local universities?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I think the site lead was originally prohibited from using one at all. I found the job through a search of the metro area. It wasn't difficult. I'm truly surprised that no one is applying.
Wait, was this posted last week? The week before a holiday, and usually the week of a holiday, is never a good time to post. You may see more activity by the end of the week.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 AM

172 posts, read 180,382 times
Silly but it might be wise to check that all the communications incoming are working properly. Years ago when I was doing hiring I asked the IT guy to create a gethired@company.com address so that I wouldn't have to give out my actual address. The emails were supposed to be routed to my main inbox. We placed an ad for weeks and received no responses, like zero. I switched to other recruiting methods and we found out a few months later that the created email had never been routed to me and all the responses were just sitting in an inbox that wasn't connected to anybody. If the applicants are routed through a website they might be caught up in a spam filter. I know I have to check mine every now and again because the filters will randomly start catching emails that I need.

My husband sounds like he is in a similar field (maybe, just when I think I understand he tells me I have it all wrong ) and he takes part in interviews a lot and you would be surprised at how crappy the applicant pool is. For every 10 that makes it to the phone interview stage, 2 maybe move on to the next interview. He sometimes works from home and I overhear the phone interviews and even I, with zero knowledge of anything technical, can tell that these people have no clue what they are talking about. And this is a national financial institution, you would think they would get more qualified applicants.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,551,275 times
Quote:
Has anyone seen this recently?
I just spent about an hour today doing a job site survey. Judging by the mess I found you don't want any applicants that use those methods for job searching. Anyone who can't immediately see those are a mess isn't someone you want to hire.

Why didn't you post the company contact information here? I saw one person saying they want to apply.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I just spent about an hour today doing a job site survey. Judging by the mess I found you don't want any applicants that use those methods for job searching. Anyone who can't immediately see those are a mess isn't someone you want to hire.

Why didn't you post the company contact information here? I saw one person saying they want to apply.

OP probably doesn't want info out there that could identify him.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:09 AM

34,943 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Wait, was this posted last week? The week before a holiday, and usually the week of a holiday, is never a good time to post. You may see more activity by the end of the week.
I found my own job on indeed. The jobs were posted way before the holidays.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:15 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,551,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaPig View Post
Silly but...
So there ya' go a prime example of why things aren't going well in the job markets. Companies don't want to take phone calls and talk to people. So it backfires on them!

It's my opinion that companies have the right to handle recruiting any way they want as long as it's legal. We'll put these moral issues aside: email is impersonal and leaves the applicant feeling unsatisfied, companies dropping the ball on their end so that applicants don't know what is going on with the job, using recruiters that mistreat applicants thus giving the company a bad name, etc.

I've been saying for about three years now that people need to rethink their recruiting methods. Automating recruiting with email or database systems or not handling it internally with care is not good. In the knowledge worker age we live in today people are a company's greatest asset. It's just amazing to me how they will handle hiring in such inappropriate and lackluster ways then complain that they can't find people or can't find good people. It's the recruiting methods they use! Why can't companies see that?

It's a vicious cycle. Companies use methods that find poor applicants. Which makes them not want to deal with applicants so they use more methods that find even worse applicants.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,355,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post

Yes, OP, I have seen at least two people here ask you about this position. At the very least, DM those folks and give them a chance.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I found my own job on indeed. The jobs were posted way before the holidays.

We've had the most success with Indeed and CL. We had NO success with CareerBuilder or Monster.

I recently learned two younger people I know found jobs on Twitter. They just did a search for the city + job and found listings that came up that weren't posted anywhere else. If your company has a twitter account try posting there.

And do try Craigslist because the 20 and 30-somethings look for jobs there at all levels. At $25, it's a steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search