Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM

615 posts, read 726,043 times

Advertisements

One thing I've realized about staffing agencies is that once you get fully trained onto the client company's team, and if your manager at the client company likes you, then you're in a position of power over your staffing agency. Feel free to ignore them, ***** at them, make demands, etc. What's the worst they can do to you? Fire you? They won't, because the client company would be unhappy if they lost a worker who they liked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
The staffing agency probably won't fire you but if the client company really valued you they would hire you directly. Companies that use staffing agencies rarely do that and see workers as disposable commodities. If you cause any trouble they won't hesitate to dump you. Also they can contest your unemployment and never work with you again.

Typically once you are hired you have little contact with the staffing agency. They just deal with payroll stuff.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The staffing agency probably won't fire you but if the client company really valued you they would hire you directly. Companies that use staffing agencies rarely do that and see workers as disposable commodities. If you cause any trouble they won't hesitate to dump you. Also they can contest your unemployment and never work with you again.

Typically once you are hired you have little contact with the staffing agency. They just deal with payroll stuff.
Precisely, though I wouldn't bet on the agency not firing you.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:24 PM

615 posts, read 726,043 times
Quote:
The staffing agency probably won't fire you but if the client company really valued you they would hire you directly.
Not in my contract situation. The rules are drawn up so that it's nearly impossible to go from Vendor to FTE.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
As I said if they really valued their workers they wouldn't work so hard to keep them on the outside of the company. It has become a real plague on my profession with the companies not hiring chemists and working with agencies to bleep them over. It is becoming harder to find experienced and competent analytical chemists now as many of the best either don't go into the field at all or leave within 5 years so all that is left are fresh grads who work for a few years at most and leave the profession.

I know I will rather than ever work for those scumbags pimps again.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:12 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
One thing I've realized about staffing agencies is that once you get fully trained onto the client company's team, and if your manager at the client company likes you, then you're in a position of power over your staffing agency. Feel free to ignore them, ***** at them, make demands, etc. What's the worst they can do to you? Fire you? They won't, because the client company would be unhappy if they lost a worker who they liked.
Glad to see that's still true. I worked for one, briefly, in high tech many years ago (1990s) as I've alluded-to in previous posts.

The money was actually quite good, though I suppose in a sense I was in a tenuous position by-definition. But as mentioned above, there was plenty of work at that time and I wasn't worried about finding something else on fairly short notice. Always have a Plan B.

It didn't take long before a few peers of mine and I figured out what you did, and we started gently testing those boundaries.

Highlight (or lowlight) was when I self-nominated for "Employee of the Month" in a certain group of several hundred. I supplied evidence, testimonials, and etc., most-notably from the client. I "won" it (sort of like "winning" an eBay auction?) and parlayed that into more money via facts, logic, and more than a bit of pressure because the client adored me.

Of course, fall out of favor and they'll freeze you out pretty fast, too. But that should only be expected.

I have little animosity for those people, many years later. It's a game, and you're on the inside or the outside. Don't be on the outside for very long.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:03 PM

435 posts, read 635,548 times
Quote:

This is very true, and its why I quit temping years ago. If the company REALLY likes you, they would hire you, but sometimes they won't even IF they think you are a great worker. And "causing trouble" could mean something as simple as asking "could I ever get a permanent job here?"

Temps are frequently let go for asking about permanent employment. I've read this time and again online and also on this forum. Once you inquire about perm employment, your days are numbered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search