Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:19 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times

Advertisements

So if anyone remembers my previous thread/posts I desperately need a job, behind on all bills you can possibly think of. I don't have many options as I have only halfway completed my degree and don't have any experience other than managing a BK for a year. I do need a job.

But. It's shady. It's at a gas station as a late night attendant. My city is not very safe, especially after dark. In fact, this gas station has been robbed twice and the attendant on duty got shot 2 years ago at 11:45PM.

I don't know if it's worth the risk. Nothing has happened since December 2012, but that certainly does not mean it won't happen again.

Would you just risk it and hope for the best? The gas station is not in a good side of town or bad side of town, fairly neutral but it is right off a main road and highway entrance/exit.

Here is a news article about it...the location would be the one on Yadkin Rd.

Article:
Police seek Fayetteville convenience store robbers :: WRAL.com

Video:
String of shootings disturbs convenience store clerks :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 02:22 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Personally if I were desperate for money and behind on bills, I would take the job - but I would definitely keep looking for a different and safer job.

FWIW, I was held up at work with a co-worker one night many years ago, when I worked at a grocery store. Very scary indeed - just remember that it's not your money, the company is insured; if you are ever held up, just give them what they want and keep yourself safe.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:27 PM

I think I will take it (assuming I even make the cut after the interview) and keep applying as you said. Just nerveracking, cause it is rinky dink ya know....bars on the windows and whatnot. I will absolutely comply if I ever get robbed. Not my money!! People are crazy, though...

Anyone else?

Old 09-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Oh I get it, y'all too good and make too much money to give advice to a pesky, measly little gas station attendant ;] with your 82k "underpaid" IT jobs and **** lmfao!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Oh I get it, y'all too good and make too much money to give advice to a pesky, measly little gas station attendant ;] with your 82k "underpaid" IT jobs and **** lmfao!

LOL.

It's not that serious.

My mother worked an identical job for 2 or three years. I hated seeing her in that store so late at night.

Myself and my sister took turns waiting outside for her to close up the store (closed around 1 am).

She was safe, but in the back of my mind I always worried.

If I were you I would try to either find another shift to work or see if one of your family members, friends, or companion could periodically swing by the store to check on you.

Best of luck either way.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,478 times
I'm guessing they don't have those bulletproof glasses to protect you? I personally wouldn't take the job. It's too risky and I'd be sweating bullets every time I hear the door open.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I'm guessing they don't have those bulletproof glasses to protect you? I personally wouldn't take the job. It's too risky and I'd be sweating bullets every time I hear the door open.
I've only honestly seen that at a Gas Station or one convenience store in a Florida. I worked at one without it but still had some issues at close with people wanting to come in for various reasons at close (getting change, changing a baby) that I couldn't let them in. I would agree with the bulletproof glass because there's too many idiots out there now. Sure it seems like a bank, BUT it gives you the fuzzy feeling of being protecting.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 PM

310 posts, read 685,948 times
I swear I see "Now Hiring!" signs at pretty much any grocery store I drive by. I can't imagine that it's so tough to find a job that's stocking shelves in some big box store at night?

If you need the money now then you have to take the job regardless, but I'd look for a safer work environment.

Also, saying that you aren't done with a degree doesn't really mean anything. Unless you are getting vocational training the degree doesn't actually translate to any real world job skills. If you want a job other than the one you will get now then find something you want to do, then find someone who needs whatever it is you want to do, and start solving their problems. Eventually they will start paying you for it.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
Normally I'd concur that you should take any job, but I draw the line at safety. If your gut tells you it's not safe then I would listen...there are some people who don't mind/are better suited to a job like that and I think it's better to leave it to them. Maybe you could see if they can find you a day shift instead?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
I swear I see "Now Hiring!" signs at pretty much any grocery store I drive by. I can't imagine that it's so tough to find a job that's stocking shelves in some big box store at night?

If you need the money now then you have to take the job regardless, but I'd look for a safer work environment.

Also, saying that you aren't done with a degree doesn't really mean anything. Unless you are getting vocational training the degree doesn't actually translate to any real world job skills. If you want a job other than the one you will get now then find something you want to do, then find someone who needs whatever it is you want to do, and start solving their problems. Eventually they will start paying you for it.
Where exactly is "by you." Remember the job market is static by where you live. The OP has their location as Fayetteville and a town in Arkansas so they may not have the demand at the supermarkets. I don't see much"now hiring" in suburban Phoenix except if they are opening the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search