Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:42 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I

Speaking from on that spent years in the corporate world in management positions let me remark on what happened to you.

You just assumed that there were two appointments at one time. Did you consider that the other person had to wait for a period of time as the HM was not available till time for your appointment.

Did you consider, the HM was running late due to a real emergency related to normal duties that had to be taken care of before they could interview you or the person that went in for interview before you. The problem is, a HM has full time duties, and must schedule interviews around normal duties. When an emergency hits, they have no choice but to handle their regular duties, and the interview will have to wait for a while. An emergency may involve something that is holding up several employees from being able to do their duties, and that is the most important thing for the HM to take care of at that time.

As you were taken to someone else's office to be interviewed, apparently something happened that they had to get you interviewed by a different HM, reinforcing the idea that an emergency was going on. They were handling it the best way they could under the circumstances. You made the choice to just walk out, figuring they hired the other person, and did not give you them the chance to get an appropriate person to interview you. That could take a little time under difficult circumstances that you would not know about.

When a corporation has something of this type happen, they usually give the person having to wait a little extra consideration in the interview to make up for it. But you chose to just walk out, and not give them a chance to even interview you. That may have been a big mistake, if you really wanted that job.

Next time something like this happens, realize that appointments sometimes do not start on time. How often have you gone to a doctors office, and find the doctor was running behind. I recently had to wait for nearly an hour after the scheduled doctors appointment. Came to find out the doctor was called over to the emergency room on the other side of the medical facility for a serious medical emergency. Someone needed his care, a lot more than I did when I was only having a routine appointment. Someone had been seriously injured, and the doctor had to take care of them more than I needed his attention.
Apparently you didn't read all the op's posts. The op added the hr woman stated 11:00am or nothing when she called to schedule the interview with boosane. Further the hr woman stated she had to leave by 12:00pm. It was 11:40am and the op was still waiting while overhearing laughter from the interview room. The op was not going to be interviewed that day if at all. Beyond egregious ignorance the hr woman clear possesses no time management skills whatsoever. When you tell someone 11am or nothing and you have to leave by 12pm but at 11:40am are still sitting in the interview room joking and laughing then this is not an accident or a mistake. She didn't even acknowledge that the op was there. The secretary told her the op was there and still the hr woman refused to acknowledge the op. I feel bad for the Secretary as well because she clearly had no choice but to lie to the op regarding wait time periods to cover the hr woman's ignorance. Blindly excusing poor and ignorant behavior is why this country is now inundated with it.

Last edited by jma501; 09-12-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If she apologized, I'd be on HER side. She didn't. Every single action an employee in a position of power makes reflects on the employer. Employers should be JUDGED, just as candidates are JUDGED.

She failed to rectify her horrible behavior, and no one sane would not connect her actions with her employer, as that is the best sign one can get. 1st impressions matter-both employer and employee get just one. Use it wisely. Fail to, and your competitor will no doubt get the best candidates, while you get the scraps.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Does anyone else wonder why this particular OP always gets these bad scenarios?

Old 09-12-2014, 07:45 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know the back story about having another job and all, so I'm just commenting on the OP.

I think it's incredibly rude and tacky what the hiring manager did.

No acknowledgement, no apologies, nothing.

The way I look at it, I wouldn't want to work for someone like that.

8 Signs You Might Not Want to Take the Job
You're right, what that hiring manager did was quite rude & tacky. I wouldn't want to work for anyone with that sort of nature either. Sometimes, hiring managers already have their mind made up before you even enter the office for the interview.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Does anyone else wonder why this particular OP always gets these bad scenarios?
Not really I've had more bad/obnoxious/sociopathic interviewers than I can count. It seems to be an epidemic.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I

. They were handling it the best way they could under the circumstances.

How is not showing basic courtesy via simple acknowledgement at the scheduled time of a delay and the estimated length of delay the "best way"?

PS: I have NEVER left someone waiting, delayed, w/o explaining those same things (reason and length) PERSONALLY, at the scheduled time. That included a morning appointment where I had just gotten back from a family emergency. My problems do NOT reduce my responsibility to show basic courtesy. Whether having a good or bad day, when we interview, we represent our employers, and our actions should be judged.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:14 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post

. Blindly excusing poor and ignorant behavior is why this country is now inundated with it.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Not really I've had more bad/obnoxious/sociopathic interviewers than I can count. It seems to be an epidemic.
Maybe I have just been very lucky.

I have had bad/obnoxious, but they were more isolated instances than an aggregate trend of EVERY interview I went on.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:43 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
My problems do NOT reduce my responsibility to show basic courtesy.

That is the gist of it all bobtn! There is no excuse. Period.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I'll deal with a late HR person every time if the company pays well, has career tracks I can tap into, has a good benifiets plan, etc. etc. etc.

The HR person was running late, got it. The HR person could have handled it better, got it. That does not transalate to the company sucks and management is unprofesional.

Let's say she got a call this morning that her dad has cancer with less than 6 months to live, and spent a half hour (unscheduled) on the phone with her distraught mother. She is trying to recoup that time and still meet with prospective employees before heading to the hospital for a very long night with family.

Does the company suck, or are you being just a little pissy that your EXTREMELY important (but unemployed) time was wasted? Just asking, because while we don't want any potential employer to judge us without the full story, posters in this thread sure seem willing to do it to a company when HR folks handle a situation poorly.
I'm sorry, but if that happened to me, I would make sure to LET THE PERSON KNOW rather than ignoring them and acting all cheery with the other person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search