Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Patience is a virtue. For my current company, I was made to wait 30+ minutes with each interview. And for every interview, I made sure nothing else was going on that day.

There's no such thing as dignity. Just pride. Swallow it if you really want a job.
The OP has one Monday.

There is nothing virtuous about swallowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Sometimes people are running late for some reason. She was running late. She didn't schedule two people at the same time, she was just running that late.

At my previous company one of the Managers discovered she had a flat tire when she went out to leave for work. She called in immediately, but communication being what it was there, the earlybirds got the message but the receptionist did not. The 9:00 applicant came in for the interview and left at 9:25 saying she would not waste any more of her time. At 9:28 the Manager walked in.

It was a great company to work for and the Manager was ready to offer the applicant 30% more in salary to take the job because the person had nearly all the experience she was looking for. The applicant missed out on working for a great place and getting a nice increase in salary.

How was the candidate hired relative to the one who walked out? Did the company do as well? Or would it have been better to try to reschedule with the candidate who had waited 25 minutes without explanation?

Old 09-10-2014, 01:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
How was the candidate hired relative to the one who walked out? Did the company do as well? Or would it have been better to try to reschedule with the candidate who had waited 25 minutes without explanation?
Couldn't tell you because mine was one of a number of positions eliminated the following week.

I agreed with the manager, however. Had the applicant gone up and said something like, "I am leaving. Please have her call me if she wishes to reschedule", she would have done so. If Boosane had suggested the hiring manager contact him to reschedule, he more than likely would have heard from her.

The manager I'm referencing is very responsible, by the way. She called in good faith, assuming the message would be sent out on an all company email and someone dropped the ball and only sent it to the manager's boss. The receptionist didn't get the message. This kind of thing is one of the reasons I always tell my team AND the receptionist when I schedule someone to come in, but not everyone does that.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:53 PM

158 posts, read 305,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Having re-read the OPs post, I agree that the interviewer should have at least acknowledged him in the waiting area and acknowledge the delay in getting the interview started.
I know if it were me in that situation it would have at least changed my point of view about the situation from that of feeling disrespected/my time doesn't matter to just realizing I was a victim of circumstance, not intention. I then could have waited for the interview to play out with a better attitude concerning the professionalism of the company via its employees.
That's just me though!

Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

There is nothing virtuous about swallowing.
I respectfully disagree...

Old 09-10-2014, 02:52 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robou View Post
I know if it were me in that situation it would have at least changed my point of view about the situation from that of feeling disrespected/my time doesn't matter to just realizing I was a victim of circumstance, not intention. I then could have waited for the interview to play out with a better attitude concerning the professionalism of the company via its employees.
That's just me though!
Great post! Agreed fully!

Now the OP will continue to live their life assuming it was an awful company and they are better off anyway. However for me, I would go on wondering what could have been. At least if they had stayed they could have made a well informed decision. If the hiring manager never mentioned the double booking or never apologized well then you know you made the right decision taking the other job. But the OP never even gave them a chance.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:55 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robou View Post
That's just me though!
Spot on. Everyone is a victim of scheduling at times. It's how you recover that matters.

Last edited by mikeyyc; 09-10-2014 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: me fail English? - that's unpossible

Old 09-10-2014, 03:20 PM

435 posts, read 635,548 times
Yes, its an employer's market, that's for sure.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:05 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
I'm going to give you a bit of career advice at this point. Do yourself a giant favor and commit to something. You have a job starting Monday - own that.

If you're not committed out of the gate, you will fail. You'll blame a number of other factors, but in the end it will be that you don't know how to commit and learn. Not everything will be perfect and fun - live with it. Learn. Stick to it. Adjust.

Hey, look....He's not the one who can't make and keep a commitment, it was the hiring manager ! OP made it to the interview and was left sitting there like some POS!

Job hunting is demoralizing at best, but there's only so much one can take. OP, keep that experience in your memory bank, the day you stood up for yourself, the day you told the world they crossed a line, you took your dignity and left, good for you!

Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
[/b]

Hey, look....He's not the one who can't make and keep a commitment, it was the hiring manager ! OP made it to the interview and was left sitting there like some POS!

Job hunting is demoralizing at best, but there's only so much one can take. OP, keep that experience in your memory bank, the day you stood up for yourself, the day you told the world they crossed a line, you took your dignity and left, good for you!
I think you misunderstood Road Warrior's post. He didn't reference what happened in the interview at all, but was talking about continuing to interview when you're due to start a new job on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search