Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 11:51 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times

Advertisements

Had a phone interview. Didn't get the job, and frankly, I was a bit confused as it wasn't quite the one I applied for . However, the folks liked me enough that my point of contact passed my resume to another department so I can interview for a more suitable position.

I got calls/emails from 2 different people at the same company. They appear to be working on the same project (although I won't know for sure until the times are set up, or perhaps finally interview with time), but it seems like for different departments?

Should I mention to both of them that someone else from the company is also setting up/has set up an interview slot? I'm thinking no because it doesn't sound like these jobs are identical enough, so I'd like to interview for both positions to increase my shots. What's the business etiquette here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 AM

41 posts, read 86,717 times
I think you should mention it. If you're qualified for either of them that will work itself out, but it might help them streamline things a bit if they don't have to interview you twice, and maybe can have folks from the two different depts involved in a single initial interview.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
I agree you should mention it.

For future reference, if the person interviewing you is discussing a job that is not the one you applied for, you should simply say, "Is this the xxxx job you're talking about? I just want to be sure."

I had a phone interview one time with some guy who asked me questions that were relevant, but more geared toward a position he thought I was applying for. When he discovered his mistake, he apologized and started over.

Another time, the interviewer said he had my resume in front of him and had read it and was really impressed with it. Then he said, "But can you give me any examples of something really spectacular that you might have done, like XXXXXXXXXXX?" I said, "I did do that. It's on my resume." He said, "Oh it is? I must have missed it."

I don't know if they're multi-tasking or just not paying attention, but they do make mistakes sometimes.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
If they have the same HR contact, they will find out eventually. No use surprising them.

I had a friend lose out on both offers, after 2 hiring managers at the same company wanted him. Both were surprised at the last minute. What a mess. Both managers were upset at the candidate and HR for not informing them. To keep the peace, HR said that no offer would be approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search