Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 AM

58 posts, read 165,856 times

Advertisements

So I had a phone interview with company X, a company and location I would be interested in. About a month later, they want me now for a in person interview.

I am happy to oblige, however due to a few things if I receive an offer and accept it, I would not be able to leave my current employer until the end of December or more likely sometime in January.

This is due to:

1. I need to have surgery with a doctor here and need to plan it for december, which requires a week or two off work. So basically I dont want to wait to do the whole process for this particular surgery with a new employer.

2. I am actually in the process of getting my background checked for a different job, a process that will take another 3-4 months to complete, and it is a job I would prefer over this job which the post is about. It is not a sure thing I would actually end up passing and getting an offer Id accept (obviously this is something Id keep to myself)

Basically, I have two options

1. Go to interview, and only bring up my dilemma for start date after I receive a hypothetical offer. IE "I like the offer but I would be unable to start until January..."

2. Offer to come to interview, but bring up dilemma on surgery now "I would love to come interview, but you should know about this conflict which would postpone a potential start date until X..."

They had asked if their timeline matches my circumstances in the phone interview, but now circumstances have changed so I think it is important to bring up the reason.

Which would be more likely to make them happy and potentially allow me the potential to still work at this employer? (IE not burn bridges).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:41 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
We certainly wouldn't hold a position open for that long. I imagine a lot of employers feel the same way. Personally, I think you are wasting everyone's time unless they tell you a January start date is acceptable.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Let them tell you no, do not voluntarily dismiss yourself from the hiring process.

After the offer, negotiate the start date. They either will be fine with it or not.

Is the surgery really that important? I know surgery generally is important, but given the long time before it is to happen, it does not seem like an emergency; is it really needed to the point of not obtaining the position over?

Depending on your skill and industry, 3-4 months really is not that long of a time, and you have not even interviewed yet, they could not even come to a decision for a while after, making it where you need a start date of only 1-2 months from the offer.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 AM

58 posts, read 165,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Let them tell you no, do not voluntarily dismiss yourself from the hiring process.

After the offer, negotiate the start date. They either will be fine with it or not.

Is the surgery really that important? I know surgery generally is important, but given the long time before it is to happen, it does not seem like an emergency; is it really needed to the point of not obtaining the position over?

Depending on your skill and industry, 3-4 months really is not that long of a time, and you have not even interviewed yet, they could not even come to a decision for a while after, making it where you need a start date of only 1-2 months from the offer.
It isnt an emergency, but I dont want to move, start a new job, find a new doctor, etc. and then take 1-2 weeks off a new job right after I start. I also cant leave my current job in October or November because of how bad it would be for the current company in terms of workload and because of vacations etc. scheduled.

Also, it is also serves as a good reason to wait as I want to see my other job background check through to see if I get the final offer, of which I would prefer over this job I am deciding whether to interview for. So I wouldnt know for 3-4 months if I will have that job or not.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
While there are fewer jobs listed from Thanksgiving until late February, I wouldn't start looking until you get closer to your surgery date. Your current employer knows you and is apt to have more patience about needing time off. Not knowing what you'll be like post-op, or how long it will take to heal, you're taking a risk by starting a new job shortly after surgery.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
I think you need to be upfront with these people, you mention moving so are they flying you in for this in person interview? I would tell them now to save you both the time and trouble if they're looking to fill a position sooner than January 2015.

And unless you hold some rare skill set for a position that is hard to place, there are going to be other candidates who can and will offered this position, give their two weeks notice and start the job.

As much I don't care for the way job seekers are treated these days by many employers, the job seeker also has to be realistic and realize that the company is trying to fill a position.

They also tend to favor employees who are "problem free", by that I mean the relationship doesn't start off with situations like this.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:47 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
As long as you negotiate everything upfront about your plans, and if they agree to it, then you're in the clear.

So in your situation, say they offer you the position, you have two options,

Say, I'll accept it, but I wouldn't be able to start until January 1st. If they agree, then you're in the clear.

Or,

Say I'll accept it, but I'll need these dates off in x month, and likely a few follow up days off the month after. If they agree, then you're good to go.

I had a friend that started a new job, and then part of the negotiations he said that he had a prepaid 'vacation' where he would be going away for 4 months doing whatever, and he was there for less than a year and was taking 4 months off and the employer was ok with it because they agreed to it up front.

Also,

in regards to not leaving for a few months because of your current employer's workload or anything like that increasing... Sucks. I'm sure if they needed to make some cuts they wouldn't think about how you have a surgery coming up and would need to have your insurance benefits in a couple of months. Just do you.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:51 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamius View Post
I also cant leave my current job in October or November because of how bad it would be for the current company in terms of workload and because of vacations etc. scheduled.
This is a nice sentiment. It's also not your problem. It's management's issue.

However, it CAN be a good excuse to show your loyalty. This company has taken a month to schedule an interview. It may take another month to make a decision. At that point, you tell them you are really sorry, but you can't quit this particular month because it is the busiest time of the year for your current employer. You had hoped to have a job earlier so they could fill your position, now it's too late, you really need to give longer notice, and start in early December.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 AM

310 posts, read 685,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamius View Post
I am actually in the process of getting my background checked for a different job, a process that will take another 3-4 months to complete, and it is a job I would prefer over this job which the post is about. It is not a sure thing I would actually end up passing and getting an offer Id accept (obviously this is something Id keep to myself)
The only background checks I know of that take 3-4 months are security clearances or various levels. So is the job you are interviewing for a clearance job as well? If so then it too can take a long time to actually have the contract letter signed.

If it isn't a clearance job and they are expecting you to start in September/October, then you need to bring up that you won't be able to start till January. I would keep the surgery story to myself, no one wants to hire employees with medical conditions, no matter how minor they are.

Since you previously agreed to a timeline that you can now no longer keep you should IMHO disclose that.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Do the interview and ask about their timeline. If they say i need someone yesterday then gracefully drop out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search