Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,560,017 times

Advertisements

It's people like him and the 1-2% is causing people to not stay or last more than 2 years at a job. Layoffs are common these days, unfortunately most people have little control of that even if they are doing their jobs you still can get let go.

The pitchforks are coming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 11:09 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,401,566 times
This is an old dog from a private equity firm who shouldn't even be looking at resumes at his level in the organization. His "advice" completely flies in the face of the corporate policies of most Wallstreet traded corporations. Employers like diversity. I can find you 1,000,000 employees with 10 years of experience doing the same thing day in and day out. Theyre really good at the little picture that they do know. However its the guys who've worked in ops, accounting, finance, treasury etc and can put all of the pieces together that make great project managers.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,786,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The comments were the best part of this article

Mark Patterson OneWire Interview Two - Business Insider

So a "job hopper" who is *moving ahead* and seeking promotion is a bad thing?

Damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Grrr....

Old 09-22-2014, 11:30 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,549,284 times
Quote:
The comments...
The best thing for a company is to have good people that stick around. But he sounds a bit disconnected. People don't always have control over how long they stay at a company.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:31 AM

223 posts, read 299,168 times
I agree with him, although sometimes people just plain work in an intolerable place or a place where there is no room for advancement. No one wants to stay at a deadend job.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,359,483 times
Quote:
The comments were the best part of this article

Mark Patterson OneWire Interview Two - Business Insider

I've heard this before but that's the only way to get a substantial raise these days. So...

Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 AM

235 posts, read 297,895 times
As far as job hopping, let's say someone works at a company for three years, is laid off and takes a "survival" job for two years to get the bills paid. He then leaves when he finds an opportunity in his original field. I don't consider that scenario to mean someone is an irresponsible or flaky employee. Sometimes circumstances dictate that you move around.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:35 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,594,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
That's fine, but you have to realize that perspectives can vary radically from place to place.

One guy I know, who is involved with a very successful hedge fund, said his ideal analyst candidate is felon with an IQ over 130, an strong academic background and at least *some* time in prison. This comes after decades of hiring Ivy League MBAs.

He realizes the sorts of insights he wants and needs very rarely originate with kids who've never left the cul de sac. Here's a guy talking about six figure positions (seven with bonuses if they really start hitting homeruns) wanting to hire a guy that a grocery tore might instantly disqualify to be a bag boy with no other considerations.

Once you get a pool of candidates who, on paper, appear otherwise qualified to do the job, the art of hiring them becomes about finding the right fit. That guy in the article values stability and loyalty. We all do, but he's probably in a position to offer jobs that lure people away from long time positions and can demand that. Not everyone is in that situation. The tech industry is a perfect example where everyone is constantly shuffling around.
Why does he want felons?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,560,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownGirl19 View Post
As far as job hopping, let's say someone works at a company for three years, is laid off and takes a "survival" job for two years to get the bills paid. He then leaves when he finds an opportunity in his original field. I don't consider that scenario to mean someone is an irresponsible or flaky employee. Sometimes circumstances dictate that you move around.
In the past 5 years, increasingly that many people are required to take temp jobs or consulting gigs just to stay employed and relevant. It is these companies such as the article based on that instituted these drastic cuts to headcounts and rely more on temp workers.

How does anyone in this economy maintain a solid work history when you can be let go simply when your salary grew above what the company is willing to pay for.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:38 PM

5,186 posts, read 4,639,201 times
Of course there are always many exceptions to the rule but I have worked with 2 hoppers in my career and true to form, both of them proved to be all talk. The most recent one is an MBA graduate from Columbia with great credentials. But if you look into his work history, he hasn't stayed more than 7 months at any recent position. I work with complex IT systems which hundreds of people. Seven months on the job really isn't enough to make any meaningful impact. However, seven months is enough time for your managers to realize you don't really know what you are doing, giving you the incentive to leave. I'm sure he interviews very well so he is able to hop. But from what I have seen, that is his strongest skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search