Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Hired a couple, have a firm conviction that our society craps on them, have watched petty men of the most worthless character and low-rent ability fancy themselves 'better' than someone who has some trivial criminal record, but the fact remains, every single thing you typed is incorrect.

Real world, objectively wrong. Bad facts. You pretended you knew what you were talking about, but you demonstrated that you do not. Its OK to be wrong, nobody is right all the time, but its really stupid and obnoxious when you're wrong in the context of feigning knowledge.

Its so funny, what people who know nothing about the finance world think the finance world is. They think it's 'academics'. All I can do is LOL and pat them on the head.
Your posts hardly make any sense; exactly what am I incorrect about? You cannot even point that one out.

I have been working in the financial industry for years, so I have a pretty good understanding in my area of it, unlike you who obviously never has, nor has ever even part of a hiring process for any company.

You have an obvious stigma about the hiring of felons, your posts on here are not helping out their cause at all because your posts are way off base and rather outlandish, a poor representation of people with criminal convictions. You have demonstrated your disdain towards people without criminal records, all the while holding felons on a pedestal.

You also have poor reading comprehension, I can tell by your constant "academics" reference, as you seem to purposely skip over the post I was even responding to that mentioned "academics". This leads me to believe you have a stigma with academics being a gatekeeper to many jobs.

Now, we can turn to academics, fact is, the financial industry heavily relies on academics for the finance side of the house, many companies will only recruit from certain schools, my own company paid for my MBA from UNC, and many companies have minimum requirements for education to even get in the door. Sure, you can find a few here and there that bypassed all of this, but this is exceedingly rare, and they demonstrated other values that got their foot in the door, including even starting their own company up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 PM

741 posts, read 914,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Your posts hardly make any sense; exactly what am I incorrect about? You cannot even point that one out.

I have been working in the financial industry for years, so I have a pretty good understanding in my area of it, unlike you who obviously never has, nor has ever even part of a hiring process for any company.

You have an obvious stigma about the hiring of felons, your posts on here are not helping out their cause at all because your posts are way off base and rather outlandish, a poor representation of people with criminal convictions. You have demonstrated your disdain towards people without criminal records, all the while holding felons on a pedestal.

You also have poor reading comprehension, I can tell by your constant "academics" reference, as you seem to purposely skip over the post I was even responding to that mentioned "academics". This leads me to believe you have a stigma with academics being a gatekeeper to many jobs.

Now, we can turn to academics, fact is, the financial industry heavily relies on academics for the finance side of the house, many companies will only recruit from certain schools, my own company paid for my MBA from UNC, and many companies have minimum requirements for education to even get in the door. Sure, you can find a few here and there that bypassed all of this, but this is exceedingly rare, and they demonstrated other values that got their foot in the door, including even starting their own company up.
If my post doesn't 'make sense', then you should get a refund on that MBA from University of North Carolina. (I only have a lowly BS from University of Chicago, so I bow to your academic achievements at such a prestigious school!)

You might want to learn what the word 'stigma' means, too, while we're at it, since you just made a 6th grade vocabulary failure.

A "disdain" for people without criminal records? "Holding felons on a pedestal"?
You're a fountain of stupid nonsense. For example "this leads me to believe you have a "stigma" (<- LOL) with academics being a gatekeeper to many jobs"

Protip, little boy. *I* am the gatekeeper to many jobs. Now, go look up the word 'stigma' and make a desperate, pathetic, disjointed 'case' about how it was accurate and not a complete embarrassment and demonstration that you're over your head in this discussion.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
If my post doesn't 'make sense', then you should get a refund on that MBA from University of North Carolina. (I only have a lowly BS from University of Chicago, so I bow to your academic achievements at such a prestigious school!)
I do not care where you went to school, I pointed out UNC because that is who my employer sends people to, which is a T-25 ranked B-school; it was a demonstration about employers recruiting from specific schools. I am sorry you are so insecure, you only saw it as flaunting credentials.

Quote:
You might want to learn what the word 'stigma' means, too, while we're at it, since you just made a 6th grade vocabulary failure.
Stigma - "a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person", not sure what the issue is.

Quote:
A "disdain" for people without criminal records? "Holding felons on a pedestal"?
You're a fountain of stupid nonsense. For example "this leads me to believe you have a "stigma" (<- LOL) with academics being a gatekeeper to many jobs"
Yes, I have seen your other posts on other threads about the hiring of people with a criminal record, you have clearly shown your views on this matter.

Quote:
Protip, little boy. *I* am the gatekeeper to many jobs. Now, go look up the word 'stigma' and make a desperate, pathetic, disjointed 'case' about how it was accurate and not a complete embarrassment and demonstration that you're over your head in this discussion.
I am pretty sure you are not a gatekeeper, and you are probably nothing, other than someone who is angry at the world that you, or a family member, cannot get employed at anything past a tire shop due to a criminal conviction.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Lots of stupid fail here.

Just to hold your hand and take this real slow, his preference isn't for hiring people who first and foremost have some criminal background, then as an afterthought, a high IQ.

You (and other) morons who keep babbling that its impossible for someone to have a criminal background and a high IQ without the criminal background being 'white collar' are naive. Clueless. Factually ignorant. You think you have a grasp on things but all you have are dumb preconceptions and a big dose of inexperience.

If you think someone who manages, say, a major drug operation has a 'low IQ cuz dey a kriminal!', then you're someone who has an opinion on something you don't understand.

As noted, the guy in question is picking outliers. He wants intelligence and ruthlessness. He has found it since last time I checked, he was absolutely crushing his target sectors.
The fail is on your side. It is obvious you have a personal stake in promoting the hiring of people with criminal records, so you craft every response is support of this.

I do agree with you that people with a high IQ can have a criminal record in something that is not white collar. However, this perception from you, given your statements in this thread and other threads, it seems either you, or a family member, falls into this category.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:16 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Lots of stupid fail here.

Just to hold your hand and take this real slow, his preference isn't for hiring people who first and foremost have some criminal background, then as an afterthought, a high IQ.

You (and other) morons who keep babbling that its impossible for someone to have a criminal background and a high IQ without the criminal background being 'white collar' are naive. Clueless. Factually ignorant. You think you have a grasp on things but all you have are dumb preconceptions and a big dose of inexperience.

If you think someone who manages, say, a major drug operation has a 'low IQ cuz dey a kriminal!', then you're someone who has an opinion on something you don't understand.

As noted, the guy in question is picking outliers. He wants intelligence and ruthlessness. He has found it since last time I checked, he was absolutely crushing his target sectors.
Wow, you have issues! What is the matter, your boyfriend/girlfriend is a drug dealing criminal that cannot get a job? Your posts are all wrong, totally wrong, you are babbling on and on about nothing, not even properly responding to any of the other posters.

I agree, you are full of fail.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Frankly there are many professions where they would not even think of hiring anyone that has spent time in prison..some even attempted to not hire anyone arrested but there was push back from that.

"Don't try to engage in a deep-detail discussion with shallow knowledge as a pretend internet expert. You can only Wiki-Fake your way through the conversation for so long and you never know when you're talking to someone who has deep-knowledge that sees right through you. "

Faking a way? Well who bailed who out again? Ironically it is hard for wall st to take it seriously when the largest potential market does not allow foreigners to buy in (China). Once that opens up I'm afraid the luster will be lost just as it was with London long ago. Heck remember BCCI?

"As tempted as I am to break down and explain something like "The vast majority of stock trading is automatic. It does not involve people for the most part", I don't think I could do so without being waaaaaaaaay condescending, so I'll just suggest you swim in your own end of the pool."

Post 2008 finance and business are not seen as "cool" anymore. I am afraid they cannot cry wolf once again and act as if we are all going down a cliff. So Wall St wants regulations out and yet they cling to patents, trademarks, copyrights and licenses. That coupled with a lack of voting, not paying taxes, not hiring people and not producing much it is gradually becoming irrelevant. I can get double insured investments that outperform the market locally any day of the week.
Well like it or not it *is* true. Read the book for yourself or watch the 60 minutes part on it. If the world really needed wall st traders don't you think they would have been hiring by now? Frankly what major preference would there be to a human broker given that people can simply set up a system automatically anyway? Sounds more like a financial travel agent if you ask me. Sure if you want something large scale around the world that's fine but if you are going a few hours on a flight why bother?

http://fortune.com/2013/05/29/a-day-...-floor-trader/
"Still, electronic trading accounts for 79% of stock trading volume in the U.S. Polcari is losing the battle. He seems resigned to the transformation. “I’m not saying I’m depressed about it. You change with the environment,” he says, getting ready for a television interview from the floor of the exchange before heading home for the weekend. But, he says, all this change has eaten away at the old pit that so electrified him when he first got into the business — an atmosphere that seemed like it was built just for people like him. “You talk to one of the younger kids today, who just came here two or three years ago, they don’t understand.” He added ““It’s almost like technology destroyed the personality.”

79%...ouch. Well if you want to work in a dying industry by all means do. I still know a few places that repair typewriters. In all due respect I cannot fathom another profession with such a high stress level.

Last edited by mdovell; 09-23-2014 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: adding more

Old 09-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure you are not a gatekeeper, and you are probably nothing, other than someone who is angry at the world that you, or a family member, cannot get employed at anything past a tire shop due to a criminal conviction.
Are you a betting man by any chance?

(PS- Seriously. You failed hard on "stigma". One doesn't 'have a stigma' about an issue they otherwise support. And please, for the love of god, spare everyone those obnoxious multiquote posts with everything dissected into a schizophrenic quid-pro-quo disaster and make a cogent, fluid reply. The more you type, the more I'm convinced you couldn't get hired on as an insurance company mail clerk, so there's a great deal of irony you're talking to a guy who more than likely shreds your resume with a chuckle, saying that he's the one working for a tire shop)

Last edited by Zaba; 09-23-2014 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
The fail is on your side. It is obvious you have a personal stake in promoting the hiring of people with criminal records, so you craft every response is support of this.

I do agree with you that people with a high IQ can have a criminal record in something that is not white collar. However, this perception from you, given your statements in this thread and other threads, it seems either you, or a family member, falls into this category.
I do have a personal stake insofar as I strongly believe ex offender reentry is important. A few people I've met have really changed my mind on the issue and opened my eyes to how appallingly we handle that issue in this country. That I make no secret of. It's not applicable to me insofar as I've never been arrested for anything.

Unfortunately, in the field I work in, I don't get too many chances to hire people from that world but whenever I can, I do.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:58 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
Sorry but he sounds out of touch. In this day and age where the employer has little respect for the worker, it should be no surprise that job hopping has become the norm. Pensions are becoming a thing in the past and employers will lay workers off whenever it is convenient for them. And wages are stagnant. I have been in the work force for overall five years and have gone from minimum wage to making almost twice as much. If I had stayed at Mickey D for all those years, I would have missed out on job growth and opportunities.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:17 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Certainly there are those that have committed minor crimes that could be rehabilitated. However that is not always a risk willing to be taken by many employers. Even if non violent there can be a risk. I once worked at a place that hired a women that came out of a halfway house. She could not stand for more then ten minutes (it was retail). Apparently she was addicted to pain medications.

The power of compounding cannot be ignored. Those that cannot find work and have a criminal record might go back to doing what they did before and then the cycle does not stop. I would argue that it would be better to reform various crimes to prevent incarceration to begin with. Technically although marijuana is legal in Washington and Colorado employers still have the ability to drug test just as they can use anything within at will employment.

The other issue is there is so much in the way of financial information that it can block those with bad finances from working there. Social security numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers are just some of what can be used. It can be argued if someone is in significant debt that they might take advantage of a situation like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search