Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 02:24 AM

4 posts, read 4,133 times

Advertisements

I had an interview and responded to a question about my previous employer's performance level in the industry. I mixed up the numbers for this performance level. Should I follow up when writing thank you letter to clarify the data? What are my chances that am still in the running for this interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 02:54 AM

310 posts, read 685,782 times
If you said that your previous company did 72M in sales and they only did 27M then that's not nearly as big of a deal as saying that you did 72M and you actually only did 27M.

Unless your previous employer's performance data is critical to you getting the position I wouldn't sweat it. Also, is it ethical/legal for you to disclose your previous employer's performance data in the first place?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:07 AM

Thanks. It is a general information that can be seen from a federal and state regulation data base so this information can be discussed with out the specifics in regards to if it is legal.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 AM

310 posts, read 685,782 times
In my opinion, unless those numbers are somehow a direct reflection of the work you did I wouldn't email a correction. Odds are the interviewer(s) have already forgotten the numbers anyway.

If the numbers are one of your direct performance indicators then you may want to correct them if what you said was way low/high. If what you said was still in the same ballpark I wouldn't correct either.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
If your previous employer was a private company, this could have been a test of ethics to see if you would disclose proprietary information. And if it was a private company, you failed.

It's perfectly acceptable to tell anyone you interview with that you are sorry, but you cannot disclose proprietary information. If it's a publicly held company, however, the information is out there and it doesn't matter if you tell them.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I have used a follow-up note to clarify a question in the interview. I got that job. I thanked them for their time and so on and then explained my answer to one of the questions in more detail.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 AM

This is great! I may look into trying this option.
**Company is public owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search