Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:18 PM

285 posts, read 534,141 times

Advertisements

B. It would be understandable and at least they would (I'm assuming) be good at their job. A didn't really have the knowledge and would be found out pretty quickly when they had no idea what was going on. Both would likely come out during the hiring process either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 05:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
It's not worth the risk to ignore our written policy, which is termination for anyone being caught in a lie on the application, resume, or interview. Exaggeration is normal, especially on something subjective. For example, if someone rates their ability on something like Sharepoint 9 of 10, and they turn out to be 4-5, it could affect their performance review and their ability to pass probation. flat-out lie will mean immediate termination. So to answer the question, it makes no difference, both are fatal to their employment

Old 09-24-2014, 05:45 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,551 times
I wouldn't be happy about either, but if I had a gun-to-my-head and had to hire either A or B, I'd go with B. While both are unethical, at least B is going to be competent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I find the bias against over qualification stupid. Who would not want an overqualified airline pilot, surgeon, lawyer, or babysitter over a barely competent one?
It's great, until that overqualified new employee finds a "real" job - i.e., one that pays better, is actually in their field, and is appropriate for their level of experience and knowledge. And you're forced to recruit and hire all over again.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:46 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,555 times
B.

With B, they can do the job successfully and they will be a grateful employee.

A wasted my time, is useless, and is costing the company time and money.

B didn't lie, B marketed themselves to the audience. A outright lied.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:10 PM

6,384 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I can't imagine either scenario.

A is an outright lie, and I'd fire you, and B would never happen, because you'd have already submitted a resume with holes in it.
I see you have not had a lot of experience being rejected for being over qualified through no fault of your own. Congratulations.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:11 PM

6,384 posts, read 6,271,884 times
I think most people can relate to B more because it is not a blatant excuse to "get ahead." It's someone merely trying to survive.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:49 PM

416 posts, read 871,277 times
I'd prefer B if someone had a gun to my head.

However, as a hiring manager, I'd go with a candidate that didn't lie to begin with.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
I find the bias against over qualification stupid. Who would not want an overqualified airline pilot, surgeon, lawyer, or babysitter over a barely competent one?

Because they know the candidate is going to jump ship as soon as a better offer comes along.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:08 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
B is "lying by omission" which in some circles, doesn't count if the "rate yourself scale" is interpreted as "if you have a certain minimum level"?

I'd be more comfy with B. For those HM that want to catch these, you do need to outright ask them on the app or interview stuff like "what's your highest level of education" if you're concerned a new hire will quit sooner than later for new, better job.

Quote:
Several reasons....

1) You typically have to pay for the experience level and skills you're getting.
If you get a senior level person to do a junior level's job, your budget may only be $40K per year, but the senior person may want an $80K salary.

2) that senior person gets bored, or is concerned there's no career development and jumps ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search