Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 06:34 PM

49 posts, read 73,321 times

Advertisements

Hello I received my diploma at the age of 16 and attended college for a year and a half but I dropped out due to family issues and a lack of money.

I am 19 and applying for a account exec job it prefers a college education but doesn't require it.

Do I just write down my high school under education and mention I took courses in marketning or do I write down the university I attended?

Will they ask for proof?

Honestly I want to look good and I don't mind "doctoring" anything up so please help me out and let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Well first off, who in their right mind (especially in this economy) would consider a 19 year old who's only been out of high school for 3 years and hasn't yet earned a college degree for an "Account Executive" position?

Is this a Sales/Commission-based gig by chance?

And if it is a Sales-based job, they probably wouldn't care much about your experience and education level (since they're only paying you a Commission if you sale something). They'll hire just about anyone to help with getting their product/services sold...

Old 09-27-2014, 06:49 PM

49 posts, read 73,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Well first off, who in their right mind (especially in this economy) would consider a 19 year old who's only been out of high school for 3 years and hasn't yet earned a college degree for an "Account Executive" position?

Is this a Sales/Commission-based gig by chance?

And if it is a Sales-based job, they probably wouldn't care much about your experience and education level (since they're only paying you a Commission if you sale something). They'll hire just about anyone to help with getting their product/services sold...

Yes it's sales and it's base salary + commision. However, you did not answer my questions instead you're being a "wise-guy" which is unnecessary.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezygotdoe View Post
Hello I received my diploma at the age of 16 and attended college for a year and a half but I dropped out due to family issues and a lack of money.

I am 19 and applying for a account exec job it prefers a college education but doesn't require it.

Do I just write down my high school under education and mention I took courses in marketning or do I write down the university I attended?

Will they ask for proof?

Honestly I want to look good and I don't mind "doctoring" anything up so please help me out and let me know.
No need to doctor anything.

Just write the name of the college and the years you attended.

I doubt they will ask for proof.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezygotdoe View Post
Yes it's sales and it's base salary + commision. However, you did not answer my questions instead you're being a "wise-guy" which is unnecessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
When I first entered the workforce post-graduation, no one ever did a background check on my high school diploma or requested to do so. A HS Diploma or GED is such a common thing for everyone to have these days, so many places don't even waste their time and resources to verify you legitimately earned one.

I imagine this would especially be the case with a Sales-based job, where they're only paying you a relatively low base pay rate or just straight commission.

As far as a college education, if it's merely a preference and not a requirement, they may not check that at all either if you never earned a degree. But it wouldn't hurt to list how many credits you earned and how long you attended.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
You could put the university name down and the years attended on your resume, but then you risk confusing them. They may think you're still in college and won't consider you for a full time job.

Instead of putting it on your resume, mention it in your cover letter instead. Write that you attended XXXX University for x period of time but left due to financial reasons and are now looking for full time employment.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search