Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:54 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,747 times

Advertisements

Yep and the FBI check was a guy taking digital fingerprints (takes about 2 min) and then they run them through the database. I can't imagine that it would cost that much or that a school district wouldn't have a bulk account since they have to run this on everyone. Just cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 04:59 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
Well, the one friend did confirm he had to do that when he was a substitute teacher. So, next paycheck, I'll pay for one. I know sub teachers sit in a room and wait to be called when they're needed... I wonder if it's the same for a sub attendance clerk and I guess you don't get paid to wait either. I've never subbed, but I assume it's like temping (I don;t have a teaching certificate... just a Writing degree with office experience... that's why I am looking at this position).

Old 10-02-2014, 05:01 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,747 times
I never subbed either so I couldn't tell you. Good luck, I hope you get hired.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
In many states, background checks are required for anyone who would come in contact with minors, whether that's via an educational institution, a charity, community sports, etc. They're especially trying to ferret out people with any history of sexual improprieties or physical abuse. Most school districts these days won't hire people without having their finger prints on file. The price being charged is to cover the fees required for law enforcement to do the paperwork.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:25 PM

That makes sense. I guess I'm unsure because I know when my friend's mom did this (she was the one who sent me this...said it'd be good experience for when I do finally move) didn't get called that often. However, she was at my former high school and I work with that attendance clerk at the library and she's very healthy. Though, I guess with a sub attendance clerk, you could be placed at any school (we have 1 high school, 1 middle school, 4 elementary schools), so it might depend. I'll see what the two others cost (I believe the child abuse one is a clearance) and go from there. I know I'm safe and good to go. It's just seeing what the other costs are.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:42 PM

235 posts, read 298,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You mean to tell me that you have to hand over money to a potential employer to investigate you, all for 10 dollars an hour?!!
Right?! What's next, employers are going to charge you for the privilege of working in their establishment?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:03 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,065 times
Most states actually have laws that prohibit prospective employers from charging applicants for background investigations. Contact you state's Department of Labor.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Most states actually have laws that prohibit prospective employers from charging applicants for background investigations. Contact you state's Department of Labor.
I think I will. My teacher friends had to pay, but they thought it sounded a bit extreme for a clerk being only paid $10/hour and is temp/sub. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:14 PM

310 posts, read 685,948 times
Any employer that wants money from you for the chance to get hired can go and **** themselves.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
Any employer that wants money from you for the chance to get hired can go and **** themselves.
I agree with this, even if it is for school aged children. The EMPLOYER should pay for it THEMSELVES. What if you don't have the money, then what?

I remember applying for work with a legit work at home company (I forget the name now) and they said you would have to pay for your own background check (which was $45, I think), in addition to purchasing equipment to work for them. They only paid a couple of dollars above minimum wage and I was like "no thanks". Not worth it.

How will I know if they ran the background check on me or not after I give them the $45?

How do I know they're not "holding" my money in an interest bearing account somewhere?

It's not like this money is refundable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search