Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:02 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times

Advertisements

Yes, absolutely. It is inherent in some types of job search. In my last job search most of my interviews were 2-3 day affairs. The hiring organization will have 1-2 interviews/week for 2-3 weeks, then take a week or two for reference checks and decisionmaking. Even if you are the last person interviewed it will take 7-10 days to hear back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I've gotten an offer anywhere from 3 hours after the interview, to 2 months. My average is around 2-3 days after the final interview.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Has to be a joke, you are saying you had to wait 3 weeks from your final interview before you hear back on whether you got the job or not? Don't even know how they remember you a month later...
Every place has their own process and hoops to jump through. Background investigation, candidate ranking, EEOC compliance check, sign offs by dept head, VP and HR, etc. Depending on the position, 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:02 PM

128 posts, read 112,899 times
i had an interview via phone this past monday.

was told that by friday (now/today) i'd hear an update of any news. my question is that is it best for me to wait for the phone call or initiate the call to hr recruiter (note not the hiring manager) to inquire about the status of my application.

i used to work for them some ~9 years ago, and if this pulls thru, I'd be a 'come-back kid'

tia,
tdredi

Old 10-09-2014, 10:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdredi View Post
i had an interview via phone this past monday.

was told that by friday (now/today) i'd hear an update of any news. my question is that is it best for me to wait for the phone call or initiate the call to hr recruiter (note not the hiring manager) to inquire about the status of my application.

i used to work for them some ~9 years ago, and if this pulls thru, I'd be a 'come-back kid'

tia,
tdredi

Please don't call and decrease your appeal as an job applicant. They said Friday so If you don't hear anything email on Monday Morning and then wait for a response by the end of next week by email or phone. Then if you don't hear anything by next Thursday you can call after business hours so you can leave a voicemail about the update on the hiring status.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Many people, including me, post about the horrible black out period of waiting. I understand typically you should hear back within 2/3 days of final interview whether you got the job or not.

My question - has anyone actually gotten the job and waited OVER a week? If yes, why did you have to wait so long?

From my personal experience, the answer is no. All of the job offers I've gotten in my life I received at least a verbal within 3 days (I understand written offer can take a bit longer). If I had to wait longer, I did not get it. I also asked some of my friends this same question and their responses are similar to mine. However, I had one friend said she had to wait over a week cause there was a last minute change in HR personnel. I had another friend say he had to wait 2 weeks cause they were interviewing other people and in the end he won. Besides these 2 reasons and 2 people, I don't know anyone that has gotten a job offer who had to wait a week+
I don't know who you've been talking to, but it's not typical that you hear back within 2/3 days of the final interview. You may hear that soon, but in many cases, they're still interviewing and it could take weeks as others have suggested.

Have patience and keep looking. When you continue looking, it makes it easier for the weeks to pass because you're busy and not waiting to hear from one company.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I have always gotten a job offer within days after the interview. And accepted within 2-3 days later.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
You have to consider the following:

1: They may take as long as 2 to 3 weeks to do all the interviews. Depending on their workload which include duties other than just interviewing people. Especially busy HM managers with heavy duty schedules. They are not putting all their time just interviewing and making hiring decisions.

2: You may not be their first choice, and after their first choice turns down an offer, and maybe the second choice does the same, they finally get around to making you an offer. This all takes time to do.

3: They are replacing a person that they really don't want to leave. They wait till that person finally leaves after 2 weeks to a month's notice and when the job becomes officially open they make you an offer.

4: They know they need someone, and start the hiring process including interviews, but cannot make an offer till they get final budget approval to do so. Big corps especially.

5: There may be several people involved in making the final decision who to hire. If some of them are involved in travel on business, an emergency comes up and one or some of them will not be available for a decision, or someone is missing due to illness or vacation for a period, the hiring process can take weeks or even months longer than you think it will.

These are just a few, of the many reasons it often takes time, before they employer makes you an offer or officially rejects you.

Remember that for you, you need a job and getting an offer is of high priority. However, the employer except for an emergency replacement for a high priority spot, hiring the new person has to be around the schedule of the HM and or committee making the final hiring decision. Hiring you is not their first priority, and they must fit in hiring as their schedules permit. The more important and higher paying the position, the longer it usually takes for the final offer.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Many people, including me, post about the horrible black out period of waiting. I understand typically you should hear back within 2/3 days of final interview whether you got the job or not.
You've never interviewed for a government position, have you? 2/3 weeks is considered speedy.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search