Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 06:00 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You chose her. I doubt she changed much. Few people do. So if you made a bad romantic choice, the fault is yours. Correct?
Thanks a lot for kickng me when I am down.

Feel like a better man now?

She was diagnosed with bipolar disorder shortly after we broke up so you are in fact dead wrong. She wasn't like that when we got married.

Your post is pathetic and appalling but fitting for the cold and heartless who post on this board.

My point went right over your head. To dumb it down a divorce and/or a spouse's health issues can cause unexpected financial hardship and damage ones once good credit.

Off to Ignore you go...

Last edited by John13; 10-15-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:09 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Thanks a lot for kickng me when I am down.

Feel like a better man now?

She was diagnosed with bipolar disorder shortly after we broke up so you are in fact dead wrong. She wasn't like that when we got married.

Your post is pathetic and appalling but fitting for the cold and heartless who post on this board.

My point went right over your head. To dumb it down a divorce and/or a spouse's health issues can cause unexpected financial hardship and damage ones once good credit.

Off to Ignore you go...
Oh stop getting so melodramatic.

Such damage is temporary and a credit rating can be repaired in fairly short order. The bottom line is the bills still should be paid regardless of divorce. Of course if two people each hire lawyers and irrationally try to destroy each other, which is what often happens, then of course there will be financial hardship. But that is literally a choice, and a bad one. Not saying you did that, but it is very common. There is really no reason for it, just split up the assets and move on. But you see it all the time. With both halves destroying their credit while trying to destroy each other.

So if I am an employer, due I want to hire somebody with a 500 FICO who just spent all his or her time and money trying to destroying his or her spouse in a nasty divorce? Probably not. Perhaps in a few years when stability returns and that person is back to paying their bills and the FICO is back up to 750, I might reconsider. But in this case, the FICO might protect you from hiring someone who is destabilized financially and emotionally and who will probably be distracted and incapable of being a good employee.

As an employer I would want to hire people who do what they say they are going to do. People who don't pay their bills are departing from that, and the credit score exposes that tendency. It's not universal, there are contrary anecdotes. But they are exceptions. Most people with bad credit scores that persist over decades are unreliable people that you would not want to hire.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Oh stop getting so melodramatic.

Such damage is temporary and a credit rating can be repaired in fairly short order. The bottom line is the bills still should be paid regardless of divorce. Of course if two people each hire lawyers and irrationally try to destroy each other, which is what often happens, then of course there will be financial hardship. But that is literally a choice, and a bad one. Not saying you did that, but it is very common. There is really no reason for it, just split up the assets and move on. But you see it all the time. With both halves destroying their credit while trying to destroy each other.

So if I am an employer, due I want to hire somebody with a 500 FICO who just spent all his or her time and money trying to destroying his or her spouse in a nasty divorce? Probably not. Perhaps in a few years when stability returns and that person is back to paying their bills and the FICO is back up to 750, I might reconsider. But in this case, the FICO might protect you from hiring someone who is destabilized financially and emotionally and who will probably be distracted and incapable of being a good employee.

As an employer I would want to hire people who do what they say they are going to do. People who don't pay their bills are departing from that, and the credit score exposes that tendency. It's not universal, there are contrary anecdotes. But they are exceptions. Most people with bad credit scores that persist over decades are unreliable people that you would not want to hire.
I don't think there is a such thing as a perfect employee

Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I don't think there is a such thing as a perfect employee
Or a perfect human, or we wouldn't need FICO scores at all.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Or a perfect human, or we wouldn't need FICO scores at all.

I would think a job would help someone improve their FICO score

Old 10-15-2014, 10:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I would think a job would help someone improve their FICO score
Or at the very least the the chance to improve.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:43 AM

This message is hidden because Marc Paolella is on your ignore list.

I have no use for the cold, heartless, and ignorant. I have more but I better leave it at that. Too bad one can still see Ignored posters posts when someone else quotss them but I'll still pass right on by without reading. I'll take the feature, it's better than not having it at all.

Last edited by John13; 10-16-2014 at 02:53 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Or at the very least the the chance to improve.
With the competition for jobs in today's economy I can easily see that getting a chance to improve a credit score is either near impossible or will take many years.

I cited many reasons / sources that most of the time it is not due to wreckless spending and one ignoring their obligations.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:45 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
With the competition for jobs in today's economy I can easily see that getting a chance to improve a credit score is either near impossible or will take many years.

I cited many reasons / sources that most of the time it is not due to wreckless spending and one ignoring their obligations.
You can be the most responsible person in the world, but if your debts exceed your income your credit is going to be bad. Most of the time, people with bad credit have a problem with lack of income, not lack of responsibility. I've lived it.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
You can be the most responsible person in the world, but if your debts exceed your income your credit is going to be bad. Most of the time, people with bad credit have a problem with lack of income, not lack of responsibility. I've lived it.

So I guess my question would be, how did the debt to income ratio sway so heavily to the debt side? Let's just say for the sake of argument, someone had a very low debt/income ratio, had a nest egg built up, and then got extremely sick, or lost their job for a year or two. Their DIR has swayed the other way because of these issues.

Eventually, they will get better, find a decent job, and can begin to pay down that DIR and rebuild that nest egg. It's not that some people never have problems. We ALL do. The point is that you can choose how to prevent problems to the best of your abilities, and how to respond to them when they do happen. While down, is when you need to be planning how to get back up. Not wallowing in sorrow.

Don't take my posts as criticism or snarky. I mean every one of these in the most positive way that I can. My goal is and always has been to get people to see that you CAN do whatever you put your mind to, if you can get out of that self pity party and persevere. People joke on the bootstrap phrase, but it absolutely works if you believe it will. Those that scoff at it are usually the ones who stick their hands out and always have an excuse. Excuses are no good. Life sucks sometimes. But if you want it to get better, it absolutely can.

To get the thread back on topic, I used to have a few employees who had financial problems. They were the most unreliable people I had. I had a guy miss work for a few days once and call me to tell me he was in an accident and was in the hospital.

Another employee had me check the sheriff department website to see that he had been arrested for failing to pay child support. I had a guy that used to call in sick because he didn't have gas money to get to work by the end of the week. Eventually he just flat out told me that his wages are garnished so heavily from a bankruptcy that he just couldn't afford to drive to work. BUT..... when he was at work, he ate out every day, always had $2-3 energy drinks, and always had cigarettes. He also had a pretty nice vehicle.

I had to come in one night to work to finish up some paperwork. I lived close by so I went home to eat dinner with my family. When I got back to work, I noticed one of my employees cars by the loading dock and he was carrying a bucket to and from the trunk of his car. When I approached him, I noticed he had the bucket loaded with dull carbide drill bits. He was attempting to steal over $800 of carbide bits to sell for scrap so that he could pay his overdue car note before his car was repossessed.

Every one of these guys interviewed well, and did a good job while they were working. But had we ran credit checks at the time, we could have potentially avoided hiring a few folks who were irresponsible with their finances, which eventually led to them being unreliable at work. I also realize that not every case is like this, but sadly enough it happens more than most companies want to deal with.

Last edited by Nlambert; 10-16-2014 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search