Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 01:33 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not so. it means you incurred debt you did not intend to pay or did not have the capacity to pay even though you agreed to the debt. either way bad judgement and the employer is right to take note. you will find if you do start working, you are far more willing to overlook your faults than your superiors.
So people who lost their jobs and had good credit before are responsible for something out of their control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 01:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Why does credit score matter in regards to employment? So bad credit means you cant get job to pay your bills to increase your credit score which makes your credit worse....see the cycle?
You don't want a business relationship with someone who can't manage their personal finances. You don't get bad credit from being broke, you get bad credit from welshing on debt.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
YEP! Because "employers" are not familiar with the concept that you need money to maintain good credit, and pay your bills. Thank Republicans for this one too. I am waiting for the day when "credit" will be required when buying toilet paper too!

Your "Credit" should ONLY matter to a job if that job has any financial involvement on your part. Meaning, where you are required to physically handle large amounts of money. Even though, if you're an honest person who never abused credit in the first place, you should be given the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty.
You have bad credit because you think you are entitled to a lifestyle you can't afford. Instead for earning the money and paying for cash, you took the easy way and borrowed it. You got your "benefit of the doubt" when you borrowed the money. Your poor performance with debt is public record, and you have been proven guilty.

If you want to erase that, do what you have to do to pay your bills. If that means living in someone's spare room where you can take the bus to work, then do it. If that means no TV, no movies, no beer and beans 6 days a week, then live that way. You already spent that money. Just seven years of making all your payments on time will clear your credit record. Start digging.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Not to mention student loan debt was a decision made by the potential employee. If the loans are unable to be repaid, then the person had no plan in place to pay those loans back, which was poor pre-planning. If you really look for the root cause of every action you will see that many of these bad credit situations were from a lack of planning. Employers know this.
OK and let's for argument sake take the case of a college graduate who graduated in August 2008 through May 2010 so that's six graduation dates. At this point student loans REGARDLESS of the major was considered "good debt" by most experts (though now it's not the case and people point to tech, engineering and nursing.) These graduates were taught that say Underwater Basket weaving could get them a job and invested three/four years in before the fall happened and most were pretty set in their course and would actually have to take longer to finish their degree to get a major IF the programs weren't capped. This would also increase their loan or max it out to a point it would come from their parents or even their own dime. They planned for getting any job but then come out and have no opportunities because just about everyone had a hiring freeze and those that didn't raised their preferred requirements to five years of specific experience with a degree in that specific field (or if not a fairly close field.) My question to you, how could they have planned for that without going back to high school and suggesting a better major and not increase their student loan debt?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
The ignorance of some posters on this board is amazing to me. What I bolded ranks towards the top.

Here is an article for you to read, something I thought everyone knew because it is common knowledge:

Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies - CNN.com
Your article is over 5 years old, and was written before implementation of the Affordable Care Act. One of the results of everyone having medical insurance is that they no longer will be dumping the expense on everyone else.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
So people who lost their jobs and had good credit before are responsible for something out of their control.
Depends. We can't control let's say getting cancer and the costs that go with it (testing, treatment, post-care, etc.) but car loans and mortgages we could have gotten less expensive homes or automobiles or had higher down payments to offset monthly installments.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The best predictor of future performance is past performance. Your credit history and driving record are two good indicators of future performance.

People lose opportunity all the time - and usually they have no idea why they lost it.
Lol what? You can't equate a credit score with job performance.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:00 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Depends. We can't control let's say getting cancer and the costs that go with it (testing, treatment, post-care, etc.) but car loans and mortgages we could have gotten less expensive homes or automobiles or had higher down payments to offset monthly installments.

Nope.... but they could control the savings they had. I think I've said this on the forum until I'm turning blue. You have to find the root cause. Getting sick wasn't the root cause of bad credit. Not having an emergency fund or backup plan was.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Lol what? You can't equate a credit score with job performance.
Actually you can and the results may surprise you. Click this for an APA for a study by Laura Koppes Bryan of the University of West Florida and Jerry K. Palmer of Eastern Kentucky University. The used the hypothesis that many of us follow, that late payment (bad credit) is an accurate prediction of poor workers. The results of their study proved the hypothesis FALSE and that they were actually better workers and more likely to have a positive and even better first performance evaluation than those who pay on time.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
OK and let's for argument sake take the case of a college graduate who graduated in August 2008 through May 2010 so that's six graduation dates. At this point student loans REGARDLESS of the major was considered "good debt" by most experts (though now it's not the case and people point to tech, engineering and nursing.) These graduates were taught that say Underwater Basket weaving could get them a job and invested three/four years in before the fall happened and most were pretty set in their course and would actually have to take longer to finish their degree to get a major IF the programs weren't capped. This would also increase their loan or max it out to a point it would come from their parents or even their own dime. They planned for getting any job but then come out and have no opportunities because just about everyone had a hiring freeze and those that didn't raised their preferred requirements to five years of specific experience with a degree in that specific field (or if not a fairly close field.) My question to you, how could they have planned for that without going back to high school and suggesting a better major and not increase their student loan debt?

Sure.

It's debt. Doesn't matter if it was good or bad, it is still debt that can turn volatile very quickly. There's no such thing as good debt. There's debt in good standing, and delinquent debt. But at the end of the day, it is still debt hanging over your head.

If students were taught that underwater basket weaving would land them a job, it was their decision not to investigate that for themselves and figure out if that were true or not. They should have researched the fields that they showed an interest in, researched average salaries, and trends to determine if that job market was stable. (For instance, my Associate's is in IT, but after researching I found that our area is saturated with IT personnel so I changed my major to Business Administration for my Bachelor's). I saw the saturation and chose to avoid it.

They may have planned for taking any job, but they did not plan to have to go without a job. (See how the root cause thing works?)

Planning starts very early in life. It starts with parents teaching their kids financial management. Then once they get older, it's bought experience. If you get into a hole, dig yourself out. Problem solving skills are necessary. You can't just throw your hands up and say you're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search