Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:53 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,964,896 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the job and the industry. I have had jobs where all of my work history and education has been verified. But I have yet to have a personal reference contacted in over 30 years in healthcare. The most in depth was pharmaceuticals where I know they called all of my past employers, verified my degree and transcript, did a DMV and legal background check, and a credit check. But they never contacted my personal references. When I asked HR about it they said a prospective employee will always give a reference list that will only give a positive report of you, so why would they waste their time. Instea they were interested in the dates of employment and job titles, that my degree was real and not from a fly-by-night online curriculum, and that I did not have a criminal record.

In a small industry or a small town, I can see where background checks might be more precarious. If everyone knows each other in the industry or town...you pretty much have to be grateful for your employment until the day you leave, give notice every time, and stay on good professional terms with all involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 03:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
Granted, I've only worked for 4 separate employers in the last 15 years, 2 being in the last 18 months, ALL of my employers (including my most recent one) have done IN DEPTH reference and background checks.
In my case it was 5 years ago, but they spoke to 2 of my references for over 30 minutes each. A reference is not verification of employment, which is normally handled by the previous employer's HR department and with minimal information given. References should only be given when the reference has agreed to cooperate and you know it will be positive because any refusal to discuss you in detail is taken as negative (if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search