Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many pages is your resume?
One page only 20 37.74%
One and one half page 4 7.55%
Two pages 25 47.17%
More than two pages 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:35 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of work experience but switched fields from media to legal 10 years ago. None of the jobs I am now applying for require more than my legal experience, skills and education. I cut mine down from two pages as all of the feedback I have received from HR resume readers is keep it short, concise and relevant.

There are so many resumes being sent out these days that recruiters and HR will not take a lot of time to peruse each paragraph of even a two-page resume. I also once briefly worked for an agency that placed IT personnel is jobs. The long resumes were not appreciated.

What you really need is several resumes tailored to specific jobs you are applying for. Leave out the irrelevant experience, community activities, hobbies, etc.

How Long Is Too Long for a Résumé? - US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:36 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
If someone handed me a resume that was 100 pages long I wouldn't even look at it.

One company I worked for they were interviewing internal candidates for a managerial position. That resume was 7 pages long. Way too much information was given. Each position was listed on it's own page with dozens of bullet points, no accomplishments. Longer does not equal better.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:37 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,659 times
Mine has two pages, but I keep the qualifications and work experience to the first page and put education and references on the second page. I figure if your qualifications and experience haven't sold them on you they won't even get to the bottom of the first page let alone the second.

In 25+ years of working many jobs I have had 1 potential employer check a reference (that I know of anyway). Usually you know, but it's possible there were 2-3. You have to have them, and they have to be good (and know that they could be asked to give you a reference), but they rarely get a call.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:31 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,788 times
Resume should be viewed as an amuse-bouche. A little preview of what is to come. As far as I am concerned, anything over half a page is an overkill.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:45 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Resume should be viewed as an amuse-bouche. A little preview of what is to come. As far as I am concerned, anything over half a page is an overkill.
A person who only has a half a page of skills/experience is probably only qualified for an entry level position. Either that, or they're seriously leaving out significant details.

While I think we can all agree that the 100 page encyclopedia was excessive and even things like 10 pages are unlikely to be read, there are a lot of people that will pass on you entirely if they don't see at least something of interest in your resume.

If over the past 10 years, you can only fill out 20 lines of experience/skills, then you really are either selling yourself short or haven't accomplished anything.

2 pages is pretty much the perfect length since it can still fit on a single double sided piece of paper.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
A person who only has a half a page of skills/experience is probably only qualified for an entry level position. Either that, or they're seriously leaving out significant details.

While I think we can all agree that the 100 page encyclopedia was excessive and even things like 10 pages are unlikely to be read, there are a lot of people that will pass on you entirely if they don't see at least something of interest in your resume.

If over the past 10 years, you can only fill out 20 lines of experience/skills, then you really are either selling yourself short or haven't accomplished anything.

2 pages is pretty much the perfect length since it can still fit on a single double sided piece of paper.
If you honestly think that anyone doing the hiring outside of legal or government entity reads the entire CV, I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:14 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
100 pages long??? How is that possible? Do these resumes start with kindergarten? "Participated in Nap Time, Story Time, and other group activities. Learned to tell time on an analog clock. Blew bubbles in milk."
Professional writers / editors.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:18 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
Quote:
If you honestly think that anyone doing the hiring outside of legal or government entity reads the entire CV, I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska.
Where did I say that I did? I said even a 10 page one is unlikely to be read.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If someone handed me a resume that was 100 pages long I wouldn't even look at it.

One company I worked for they were interviewing internal candidates for a managerial position. That resume was 7 pages long. Way too much information was given. Each position was listed on it's own page with dozens of bullet points, no accomplishments. Longer does not equal better.
Funny, I looked through one of them and I did not see any military experience. Many applicants had that so that person wasn't even considered for the job.

In each case I alerted the supervisor what I found. The look on her face was one of amazement but she has seen that before.

7 pages was about normal what I saw for a federal government position. These were high paying jobs, over 100K per.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Half page?

As a government contractor who has worked on many different federal projects that would be impossible. Mine is slightly over 2 pages. I would be selling myself short if it was any shorter.

I imagine it would be very hard for any older adult to keep it to a half page, unless stuck in one position doing the same thing year after year.

The whole time I worked in HR for that federal agency I rarely saw a one page resume and all except one were college student interns. Seldom did I see a resume less than 3 pages. As I mentioned most were in the 7 page range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search