Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many pages is your resume?
One page only 20 37.74%
One and one half page 4 7.55%
Two pages 25 47.17%
More than two pages 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:29 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Professional writers / editors.
Wouldn't it make sense to submit writing samples as separate items? My sister was a copywriter for many years, and I'm pretty sure her resume is only 2 pages. I can see submitting a normal-length resume, and then, if asked, submitting writing samples separately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM

131 posts, read 182,658 times
I went to the library and looked at the many resume books designed for the college educated professional and 90% of the example resumes were 2 pages long. I also went to Monster.com which has a great section on job hunting and about a hundred resume examples and 90% of their resume examples were two pages.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:11 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
Wouldn't it make sense to submit writing samples as separate items? My sister was a copywriter for many years, and I'm pretty sure her resume is only 2 pages. I can see submitting a normal-length resume, and then, if asked, submitting writing samples separately.
They were submittted as part of the "resume." It was part of my job to print off if that was the way the applicant sent it in. There was only two 100+ page resumes that I saw and I remember the samples and resumes was not submitted separately in those cases. Possibly that is the reason why it wasn't. If it's part of the resume it will be together. I wasn't to download samples, same for colllege transcripts and other documents. In the case of one of those two it was a complete waste of time because the applicant never served in the military. I do not remember the other one. I may not have looked too close in that case.

But everything regarding the military had to be together with the resume. That is the way the federal government is hiring today. I did not include that when mentioning actual resume pages that were sent in. The average was around 6-7 pages.
As a side note college summer interns had to have at least a 3.0 grade average or above to be considered. That was different. Those were pretty much the only one page resumes that I saw.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:25 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,326 times
As a Hiring Manager for s/w engineers, quality engineers, etc., I never read beyond the second page. I am interested in discussing what you did in the last five years. I am not offering you a JAVA position if your only experience with JAVA was ten years ago and listed on page 4 of your resume!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
One page resume is only for someone who has just graduated college not someone working for 10 years or more

Old 10-18-2014, 03:18 AM

131 posts, read 182,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
One page resume is only for someone who has just graduated college not someone working for 10 years or more
One page resumes are for people with less than two jobs on their resume and little if any skills or accomplishments they want to promote.

I have seen young people with comprehensive two page resumes but only 5-6 years of experience. Young professionals move around to a different job every year and may have four or five jobs in the last five to six years they want to promote. One page is not going to do it!

Old 10-18-2014, 02:23 PM

285 posts, read 534,249 times
Mine is two pages. I don't really understand how anyone could fit everything onto one page, unless they're a recent grad or don't add in keywords/accomplishments etc. I have a few different certifications so my education field is longer than it would be if I just had a bachelors... The whole thing is more like a page and a half, but I throw in some volunteer/membership info at the end just to even out the page. I would not exceed 2 pages, though.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
One page resumes are for people with less than two jobs on their resume and little if any skills or accomplishments they want to promote.

I have seen young people with comprehensive two page resumes but only 5-6 years of experience. Young professionals move around to a different job every year and may have four or five jobs in the last five to six years they want to promote. One page is not going to do it!

How much work experience is a 23 year old really going to have if they started working at 16? I can only see it being 3 jobs at the most since employment is not necessary while you are in school full time. So unless they put a bunch of useless information on the resume to make it two pages I don't see how it can be anything more than a page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search