Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Agreed. How desperate you are for a job can determine how much excrement you are willing to put up with during the hiring process. If you are unemployed or depserate for a new job you may do whatever some HR bimbo tells you to do, deal with their rediculous psychobabble, assigning you essays, have sociopathic interviewers rip you apart then pat themselves on the back with the delusion they are doing the company a service, volunteer salary history, take an hour long quack psychometric exam, and anwser any out-of-bounds or obnoxious questions they ask.

If you have a decent job or are highly in demand you can walk out of an interview or withdrawl you app when you encounter off-their-leash HR dimwits, hostile interviewers, out of bounds questions, or other nonsense.

Exactly, when you know in your mind there will always be another interview, there is no need to answer silly questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Exactly, when you know in your mind there will always be another interview, there is no need to answer silly questions
How about if that knowledge is not in your mind but somewhere else? Do you then answer "silly questions"?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:35 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
They also may see you as uninterested and not hire you.
Are we assuming that the jobs at the two different companies are the same? If so how does that make you look uninterested if you're actively pursuing that role? If they want you that bad they should match or beat the other companies offer. I think they wouldn't move forward because they know they couldn't match the other companies offer.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM

366 posts, read 452,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Are we assuming that the jobs at the two different companies are the same? If so how does that make you look uninterested if you're actively pursuing that role? If they want you that bad they should match or beat the other companies offer. I think they wouldn't move forward because they know they couldn't match the other companies offer.
They want overqualified peons who will do anything to serve their specific company through paycuts and famine.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
They also may see you as uninterested and not hire you.
And that is the problem with the hiring system. When hiring officials are more interested in psychoanalyzing people, stereotyping, making rediculous leaps, or other forms of poor logic and BS it is tough to offer advice because the process is too unpredictable.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
If they ask I would be honest. If you really want the job you are interviewing for you could state, "until I have a job I am keeping my options open, if this job lines up I would have no problem cancelling my other interviews" or something like that.

One time a job wanted me to cancel my other interviews so they could turn my resume into the client. They wanted to make sure if I was approved, I would be available, I did.

I got hired and then all of a sudden they dropped the pay. I called them back and told them I was going to go to the other interviews due to my pay changing, and I'll let them know if I am still available. They called back 5 minutes later with my pay back to how it was originally. What a bunch of pricks. I was livid.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
IME, I've had no problems (or follow-up questions) after answering "Yes, I am actively applying to and interviewing for similar positions at other firms."
I've never asked that as a HM but I know our HR folks ask so they can advise me how quickly I need to move on a candidate.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I don't have direct experience that I can recall, although I've had one or two times, like when I got out of law school, where it was obvious that I would be looking at one or more job options.

As an interviewer I don't consider it a negative that a prospect is looking at more than one employer, although I would sometimes think that finding out where else the person is applying would give me useful information about that person. (E.g. we're hiring for a lawyer to represent tenants in evictions and we find out they are also applying to another firm that represents landlords.)

Old 10-21-2014, 07:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
so glad I was never asked that question because I would have ended the interview immediately

Old 10-30-2014, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,227 times
If your looking for a temporary job or part time go for it if not focus on that company and that interview, if you get a new better opportunity down the go for that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search