Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch
I would think there are many opportunities at your hospital that she could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I did not read the OP owns the hospital.

Just like almost every other place of employment, especially in the medical field, there is a thing called a hiring process. Competition for jobs like this even on the admin level is very tough and I doubt this person has a chance.

OP - I was going to suggest some type of seasonal work just to get something recent on her resume but that is out because she is unable to stand. Possiblly a staffing agency may have something seasonal in a call center but without experience even that is going to be difficult. However, it can't hurt to try.

Sorry to say going on disability may be her only option.

John, you've never heard people say anything like, "In my company we......"? At your hospital, in your company, at your school, in your church are phrases that do not have to denote ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
She tells me that its' difficult for her to stand for prolonged periods of time without sitting (although I've seen her walking constantly and am doubtful of this, but I could be wrong and have to take her at her word).
My knees/feet hurt when standing for prolonged periods also....but moving around is not as bad as just standing in one place. Take her at her word, her story is highly possible.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM

836 posts, read 1,777,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
My knees/feet hurt when standing for prolonged periods also....but moving around is not as bad as just standing in one place. Take her at her word, her story is highly possible.
Also, it's one thing to walk one-two or even three hours that you've seen her do, occasionally, and spend an entire 8-hour shift on your feet, day in and day out.
(One thing I do not understand: WHY is it required for US cashiers to be standing while doing their work?? They could just as good ring up purchases sitting on a stool (like they do in some countries), that being so much easier for a lot of health issues).

Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
(One thing I do not understand: WHY is it required for US cashiers to be standing while doing their work?? They could just as good ring up purchases sitting on a stool (like they do in some countries), that being so much easier for a lot of health issues).
Same here! My DD was a cashier for a while and I never understood why they couldn't provide stools for them to at least sit on and rest a bit between customers. Her feet and back hurt her a lot. It just seems cruel.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM

271 posts, read 426,748 times
can she babysit? work at a daycare? nursing home? seems like there are often open positions for entry level jobs in those areas.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
John, you've never heard people say anything like, "In my company we......"? At your hospital, in your company, at your school, in your church are phrases that do not have to denote ownership.
It's not something I would ever use.

Adding - also means just because the OP is a doctor doesn't mean he can tell HR to hire someone. It doesn't usually work that way.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
It's not something I would ever use.

Adding - also means just because the OP is a doctor doesn't mean he can tell HR to hire someone. It doesn't usually work that way.
Dude stop being difficult you know full well what was meant. Geez

Old 10-20-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
can she babysit? work at a daycare? nursing home? seems like there are often open positions for entry level jobs in those areas.
I don't think it's easy to get a job anywhere these days. However if one is willling to work for $9.00 an hour or less your chances probably increase. It appears the OP's friend is almost disabled with no recent work experience.

One would have to know people real well who have young children in order to get a babysitting job.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Dude stop being difficult you know full well what was meant. Geez
Well, no. You are the one that is wrong. You missed the important point that there is likely a hiring process.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:22 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
The point being made wasn't that someone at a place of business could drop an acquaintance's name and thereby bypass the hiring process for that person. The point was that an "insider" would have ready access to job postings (which are often done internally before openings are announced to the public.) By my knowing someone who worked in a hospital setting I was able to get the scoop on some jobs when I needed one. I ended up getting hired - and then promoted twice - during my years there. As far as I know, my "foot in the door" position was never advertised away from the facility. So the advice to investigate available work at one's own employment location was sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search