Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:46 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Im seeking some advice for an older friend of mine.

She's single and in her late 50s, and hasn't worked for some time. However, due to a change in her circumstances, she's now left with a need to find employment.

She was last employed every 8 years ago, and her prior range of skills goes from being a cashier to doing clerical temp work for a temp agency. Over the past few years, she's gained a lot of weight and now has persistent pain in her knees. She tells me that its' difficult for her to stand for prolonged periods of time without sitting (although I've seen her walking constantly and am doubtful of this, but I could be wrong and have to take her at her word).

I love my friend very much and want to help her, but I dont' think I can give her any really good/helpful advice b/c I'm in a different occupational situation (I'm in my early 30s and am a physician, currently paying off student loans etc) and I've never been unemployed, thank God. However, it breaks my heart to see her in her current situation.

Do you know anyone like this? What resources can I recommend for her to turn to help find employement? What can I do to help her?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by erjunkee; 10-20-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Hello all,

Im seeking some advice for an older friend of mine.

She's single and in her late 50s, and hasn't worked for some time. However, due to a change in her circumstances, she's now left with a need to find employment.

She was last employed every 8 years ago, and her prior range of skills goes from being a cashier to doing clerical temp work for a temp agency. Over the past few years, she's gained a lot of weight and now has persistent pain in her knees. She tells me that its' difficult for her to stand for prolonged periods of time without sitting (although I've seen her walking constantly and am doubtful of this, but I could be wrong and have to take her at her word).

I love my friend very much and want to help her, but I dont' think I can give her any really good/helpful advice b/c I'm in a different occupational situation (I'm in my early 30s and am a physician, currently paying off student loants etc) and I've never been unemployed, thank God. However, it breaks my heart to see her in her current situation.

Do you know anyone like this? What resources can I recommend for her to turn to help find employement? What can I do to help her?

Thanks for your help.
Stupid question, but can't you either give her a job or get her a job at the hospital you work at?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:54 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
I would think there are many opportunities at your hospital that she could do.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Stupid question, but can't you either give her a job or get her a job at the hospital you work at?
Oh no worries, this isn't a stupid question. My apologies for not clarifying:

She lives in a different state. I live in CT, and she lives in FL, although she is considering moving.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
She should apply for receptionist jobs. She'll want an office job and as a receptionist she won't be expected to have the same skills as others would in an office.

She should also take some courses to get her up to speed with Word, Excel, etc.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I recommended this website to job seekers over 50 and also is geared toward different states

AARP in Your State

Old 10-20-2014, 04:26 PM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
I would think there are many opportunities at your hospital that she could do.
I did not read the OP owns the hospital.

Just like almost every other place of employment, especially in the medical field, there is a thing called a hiring process. Competition for jobs like this even on the admin level is very tough and I doubt this person has a chance.

OP - I was going to suggest some type of seasonal work just to get something recent on her resume but that is out because she is unable to stand. Possiblly a staffing agency may have something seasonal in a call center but without experience even that is going to be difficult. However, it can't hurt to try.

Sorry to say going on disability may be her only option.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Allied health jobs are plenty. I'm in the lab field and there seems to be a need for the ancillary jobs. Lab aid, specimen processors, specimen carriers (driving samples between locations), etc. Easy jobs that don't require any specific degrees/skills/certifications. Granted these don't pay well (around $10-15/hr) but they are available since not as many people know about them. Or she could do the office side, I'm not good at this part of the lab so I won't comment on it. At the very least, these jobs are kind of "stable". It's rare to get fired unless you screw up often, namely, there aren't layoffs (unless company is bought out)/isn't seasonal work. But she may have night shift hours. I prefer working nights so it isn't a draw back but most people it is.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I recommended this website to job seekers over 50 and also is geared toward different states

AARP in Your State
I clicked the "Money and Work" category in the Maryland section and the site has not been updated in 6 weeks. There were zero jobs posted.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I clicked the "Money and Work" category in the Maryland section and the site has not been updated in 6 weeks. There were zero jobs posted.
On the right hand side of the website under Jobs you May Like, put your state in and some listings will come up that was 3 and 8 days ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search