Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:36 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,321,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
In my experience, maybe just bad luck, but every single company that has given me an offer took a long time to get me a written. The last 2 offers I got it was a solid week (5 business days) between verbal and written. If you think about that, including weekends, that's a long time I had to wait. That leaves a huge grey area for a company to possibly change their mind

To answer my own question - no it hasn't happened to me before, but I am afraid it will with this current opp. To be more specific, I received a verbal offer this morning, was told it would be pending reference checks and to send the him (hiring manager) my references ASAP so he could call them ASAP today. I know I'm using ASAP a lot because he kept saying ASAP himself. He told me if all went well I would expect a written offer by EOD. Well, he never even called any of my references (so obviously no offer), and it has me wondering why he kept telling me to send them to him ASAP when he didn't even make any calls...

I know someone is going to say 'well he probably got caught up in something and just got busy'...seriously pple, he told me ASAP many times, he knows his own afternoon calendar schedule, something just seems a bit odd here

So anyone have any bad experiences? Or is it just the norm to wait forever...
I've never had an offer come in before a week. That is the norm. It takes HR time to go through all the processing to get you approved for the money and vacation, etc.

And I've had an offer get retracted because of budget issues, too. It's the nature of the beast.

Just keep swimming. ~Dory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 12:32 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,806,239 times
FYI - I forgot to mention this on my main post, but a lot of people are telling me to wait and usually it takes a week or something to process. When they gave me the verbal offer, we discussed a Monday start (in 3 days). So I supposedly start in 3 days (less now) but don't even have a written offer...

//EDIT: Middle of day 2, still no contact with any of my references. I reached out to HR and they said they are still waiting on the hiring manager. HR told me if we don't hear back by EOD today to reach back out again, I have no idea what's going on...

Last edited by unknown00; 10-22-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,486,781 times
Quote:
FYI - I forgot to leave this out on my main post, but a lot of people are telling me to wait and usually it takes a week or something to process. When they gave me the verbal offer, we discussed a Monday start (in 3 days). So I supposedly start in 3 days (less now) but don't even have a written offer...
You don't supposedly start in 3 days if they discussed "a" Monday start and not "this" Monday.

Until you get a written offer, there is no start date, it's just conjecture.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:29 PM

19 posts, read 43,945 times
Yes, Once when a contract did not go through. We also waited months while waiting for a contract to be finalized so from offer to final written was over 6 months. Usually a week is norm while papers are written up.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,874,075 times
No, but I wouldn't quit my current job without a written offer. Verbal don't means thing.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,806,239 times
UPDATE1: Mid afternoon day 2 the references calls are being made

Old 10-22-2014, 02:18 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,048,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Yes, it happened to me once.

I was offered a job as a grant-writer/fund-raiser by a not-for-profit organization. We had already negotiated salary and a start date. A rule of the organization's by-laws required them to inform the board of another organization (which held a mortgage on a piece of their property) of any hiring they were doing. They were under the impression the notification was a mere formality. When they told that board they were hiring me to fill the open position for which they had advertised extensively, an executive from that group said, "Wait a minute, my wife would be perfect for that job." The non-profit board felt forced to withdraw their offer to me and they gave the job to the executive's spouse. She didn't work out and the entire organization ended up being restructured two years later due to a financial collapse (some of which was due to the wife's incompetence).

I still have every faith I could have done that job successfully.

What a disgusting abuse of power. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 PM

399 posts, read 566,582 times
Quote:
He literally said 'please get me references ASAP so I can call them later today' and I checked with my references at night and they never got a call
I have plans to do things all day long but you know what doesn't get put on my calendar?

My husband calls and says the house flooded out
The kids get sick at school and I have to go pick them up
The power goes out in the office or other emergency that has to be dealt with much sooner than calling references
MY boss telling me that she knows I need to do this ASAP, but her ASAP takes precedence and that means I can't do anything on my ASAP list until hers is done.

In other words, sh** happens. Calm down. Go have a drink.

Don't be a pest. You don't want to give them the impression that you're going to be an impatient ass before you get in the door.

Oh, and yes, I've had it happen to me. The director of an organization made me an offer, I had the offer in hand, she did a background check, she found out that my sister worked for the same city that she was running for Mayor and was a supporter of another candidate and withdrew the offer.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,227,648 times
Somebody I know who does a lot of contract work says he doesn't consider he actually has a job until he gets his first check! There are many, many things that can happen....

Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,838,685 times
i can't even imagine a company playing games with my life like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search