Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Yes. I check for reviews on Indeed as well.
This. I look at both Glassdoor and Indeed. Like most others if they are below a 2.0 I am turned off. I also read the reviews thoroughly to see if there are trends or things that are big cons in what I am looking for, are trends in that company.

I also look at salary, which is a huge advantage because it gives you an understanding on what you can expect/negotiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 08:53 AM

227 posts, read 392,504 times
Unless you're talking about a smaller company, reviews can be very hard to put much faith into. For a decent sized company, so much of it depends on what department you're working in, how your specific manager is, etc.

I work for a large company, and I've worked in two departments over the last 9 years. In the first department, I went nowhere. There was no growth potential, minimal raises, the work environment was stressful, etc. Within about 4 years of switching to a new department, my salary had almost doubled, I can work from home when I want to, it's much less stressful and more casual. It's the same job title (with a different number at the end of it), but a completely different experience.

If you're applying for my job title at my company, glassdoor won't let you know if you're going to be in the poor work environment of my last job, or the great work environment of my current job.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Salary information - but even that may be inaccurate. Someone who got a job out of college and been there for 10 years will not be making the same as an experienced professional just joining even though they have the same title. The college guy will get screwed staying at the same job since they start lower and raises are typically minimal.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
I do check glassdoor but would not write a company off strictly on a glassdoor review. FIrst off glasdoor kind of sucks compared to the site they took over. I can't remember the name but it used to be more honest reviews once glassdoor took the site over it definately gets scensored and is more favorable reviews.

WIth many companies your satisfaction as an employee not only depends on if the job is a good fit for you, it could be great for you but someone else could hate it but more importantly for example at my current company if you work under a good manager and in a good office location the job could be awesome, under some managers the job could be unbearable so you may be reading someone's review in new jersey but if you are in florida it could be a totally different atmosphere and totally different level of employee satisfaction.

Just something to think about

Old 10-24-2014, 09:22 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,452 times
Always.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:17 AM

444 posts, read 581,759 times
Default Yes

I use Glass Door before going on an interview. You can gain an advantage by learning what interview questions they ask. It also gives you a good idea how long it takes for them to make a decision.

My friend did not check Glass Door before taking a job last year. My friend works in staffing and took a job at a new startup...typical situation of NY'ers thinking they know how to do things in the South. If they had checked Glass Door they would have learned of the incompetence. They would have also seen the nasty replies to some of the negative comments from managers in retaliation. 7 months later (on monday) they shut doors to the facility. We believe the company has some serious money issues and has lost some major contracts, never mind incompetent management. Glass Door reviews clearly laid out that the owner is very abusive, that the owner has a 7th grade education, that they fire people who do not meet unrealistic expectations, and then sue them for non-compete, etc. People out of college BTW. Glass Door reviews also showed they fail to pay contractors on assignment and employees, slow to pay expense checks, etc.

If anything, especially for small firms, always check Glass Door...and the BBB as well. They always say that only the angry people post reviews but that is not true...even if it was, why would so many people get angry enough to post such reviews?? Something to think about!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
I have checked on those types of sites but it is a BAD idea to do so and I would not do it again and strongly advise others not to.

Basically, as most already know, it can be very biased...and wrong. The ratings are global but are graded at the local level. Meaning that a person is really rating their own specific dept or supervisor and applying that opinion to the entire org. Some places are large and have multiple organizations - Someone who works at a branch office but is rating the headquarters. There are many other issues.

But there is a lot more to it that that IMO - a low rating and bad reviews can turn a candidate (i.e. you) off to the org and thereby affect your performance on an interview. It can put a bad taste in your mouth whether the reviews are valid or not. Consequently, one's performance on an interview may suffer. Personally, I want to perform my best and get an offer every single time - every single time, from both horrible companies and great one's. I want to be in the driver's seat. This has happened to me and I regret it. A place got not so great reviews, I arrive at the interview already feeling skeptical about working there and looking for clues that'll validate the reviews. The building wasn't in great shape and a few other things all fed into my thought that it's probably not the right place for me. I did poorly on the interview - I usually do much much better but my pre-negativity and disposition affected me. The position itself sounded ok, the supervisor seemed ok, but I did not move to the next level of interviewing. Maybe I would have rejected it anyway but I missed the chance to find out more and was taken out of the driver's seat. Basically I failed.

It was a good lesson. Do research on the company but look at any reviews AFTER the interviews. Otherwise, you may be tainted prematurely.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Do you check a company's rating before applying? If a company has a 2.9 or below I usually don't apply. Im curious if anyone else does this.
Like some of the other folks have mentioned, I also check Indeed.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
I never knew Glassdoor existed until someone at my job told me about it. They said the reviews about the place we work were really bad. I wasn't surprised and checked it out. Sure enough, the reviews (VERY TRUTHFUL) were bad and no one recommends it as a place to work.

I don't mind working there as I know I won't be there very much longer.

Had I read the Glassdoor reviews beforehand, I probably would have taken the job anyway since I had been out of work for a while and needed a job.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:02 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Before applying? Not really. At some point, I will check, likely before a phone or in-person interview. I too just like to read comments and reviews of what people thought about the place, things that they do well, and areas that could use improvement. The interview questions, and whatever salary ranges can be helpful. Much like an actual interview, it's up to you to interpret what you're taking in, and make your own judgment call.

I am amused how many of the places I've worked at, some reviews have been spot-on (e.g. if they mention 'x', then RUN!; if you lowball your start salary, then you're screwed; good place for a college grad; or great medical indeed). Some reviews are personal given that it varies per location, department, job title, etc., so if that info's available, all the more precise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search