Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:53 AM

406 posts, read 559,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
My friend is the one who wants me to come with on Tuesday, I'm not going to pi$$ him off. He's furious at his cousin. He came up with the idea of asking him what is going on in front of other family to put him on the spot.

My friend did factually receive a job offer. Me, I would argue that I did, perhaps it could be argued that I didn't since it came to my friends phone. However, my friend did absolutely receive a job offer.
The thing is though, you don't want to guilt him into hiring you by confronting him in front of his family... This is someone who you want to be your employer, not someone who owes you a sack of money that you're trying to pressure into handing over to you. You want to establish a good relationship with this person and the plan you mentioned above will yield the complete opposite effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
My friend is the one who wants me to come with on Tuesday, I'm not going to pi$$ him off. He's furious at his cousin. He came up with the idea of asking him what is going on in front of other family to put him on the spot.

My friend did factually receive a job offer. Me, I would argue that I did, perhaps it could be argued that I didn't since it came to my friends phone. However, my friend did absolutely receive a job offer.

Your friend is trying to get a job by strong-arming or embarrassing his cousin. If you ever had an opportunity in the future to work there, that will certainly spoil any chance for that ever happening. That's a terrible idea.

Legally, neither of you have proof of a job offer. There is nothing official, in writing, on company letterhead. Period.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Nothing screams loser like causing a scene at a family function.

smh

Old 10-31-2014, 09:57 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
The thing is though, you don't want to guilt him into hiring you by confronting him in front of his family... This is someone who you want to be your employer, not someone who owes you a sack of money that you're trying to pressure into handing over to you. You want to establish a good relationship with this person and the plan you mentioned above will yield the complete opposite effect.
I agree, I'm not going along with that plan. I was hoping to get a chance to meet him and speak with him privately, however.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Your friend is trying to get a job by strong-arming or embarrassing his cousin. If you ever had an opportunity in the future to work there, that will certainly spoil any chance for that ever happening. That's a terrible idea.

Legally, neither of you have proof of a job offer. There is nothing official, in writing, on company letterhead. Period.
This isn't a legal matter. I am talking about right and wrong. At the very minimum, it's a lousy thing to do to someone to offer them a job and then disappear. I'm not going to do the embarrassment thing, I actually agree with you on that one.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Nothing screams loser like causing a scene at a family function.

smh
I agree but hopefully we get the opportunity to speak with him privately and find out what's going on.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
You're not grasping that he offered you nothing. He said something to your friend, unofficially. That's not a job offer for your friend, and it's really not a job offer for you.

You want to believe it is, and you keep insisting it is, because you want to hold his feet to the fire. Why? So you have a job? To prove a point?

Don't act like this is a matter of right or wrong - we keep telling you that you're wrong and you don't believe us.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're not grasping that he offered you nothing. He said something to your friend, unofficially. That's not a job offer for your friend, and it's really not a job offer for you.

You want to believe it is, and you keep insisting it is, because you want to hold his feet to the fire. Why? So you have a job? To prove a point?

Don't act like this is a matter of right or wrong - we keep telling you that you're wrong and you don't believe us.
If you want to get super technical, he offered my friend something on my behalf. Again, "tell your friend he has the job."

Whether that is 'official' or 'unofficial' is completely irrelevant to the discussion. Factually, he texted it. He also texted my friend a job offer. You may argue that the offer doesn't count because it wasn't issued on company letterhead. Personally, I don't subscribe to your circumscribed criteria. He said it, he's accountable to what he said, whether on letterhead or verbally or text or whatever. In this case, it was a verbal as well as a written offer.

What I am trying to accomplish is to determine what changed from when he spoke to my friend for hours and seemed excited to hire us, to now. Perhaps it is something that can be managed. For example, perhaps there is a hiring freeze for 30 days. If that is the case it's something that can be overcome. Perhaps it is not something that can be overcome. I'd like to find out, however.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:19 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
The first step to get a sales job is to have the ability to sell yourself and secure a position on your own merits.

Action is the result of communication which, in this situation did not happen.

I suggest confronting this guy and getting it off your chest to confirm that he made the correct decison, then continue your job search on your own.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
The first step to get a sales job is to have the ability to sell yourself and secure a position on your own merits.

Action is the result of communication which, in this situation did not happen.

I suggest confronting this guy and getting it off your chest to confirm that he made the correct decison, then continue your job search on your own.
Right because no one ever got a sales job based upon networking. Oh- kay.
Mod cut,

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2014 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Rude; off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search