Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:41 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times

Advertisements

From your description, this guy is successful businessman which in turn means he's somewhat business savvy.

I find it very odd that a savvy businessman would extend a job offer to someone (you...although via text to a cousin) without viewing a resume, interviewing, checking references, etc. - he's never even met you! I mean, he didn't get to where he is now by conducting business like this. It's very unprofessional and unconventional. I'm surprised that you can't grasp that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:52 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Right because no one ever got a sales job based upon networking. Oh- kay.
[Snip.]

So ...

- you've never spoken with the hiring "manager" on the phone or in person about the job
- you've never forwarded a resume to this person, for all you know, he has never seen it
- this person never even interviewed you
- this person never extended an offer to you directly (salary, start date, other terms and conditions)

In effect, your friend is acting as your agent?

I don't think "networking" means what you think it means.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2014 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
From your description, this guy is successful businessman which in turn means he's somewhat business savvy.

I find it very odd that a savvy businessman would extend a job offer to someone (you...although via text to a cousin) without viewing a resume, interviewing, checking references, etc. - he's never even met you! I mean, he didn't get to where he is now by conducting business like this. It's very unprofessional and unconventional. I'm surprised that you can't grasp that...
Well he knows of me. A few months back I was involved in some contract/consulting work with his company. I had meetings with several of his top level employees including his director of business development. The contract got cancelled but I was able to make some very good connections. At the time we actually talked about my future employment with the company. But the timing was bad from my end as I was deeply entrenched in a custody battle and I was in and out of court. I didn't want to start a new career and miss a bunch of time due to court, I didn't think it was fair to them. I think they appreciated my honesty and we left it that we may revisit things at a future date when I could make a full commitment to the company.

Fast forward a few months and my friend lost his job. That's why we came up with the idea to have both of us work there. I've had success with this type of 'double pitch' in the past, btw.
So I may never have met the cousin, and he doesn't know me personally, but he knows all about the conversations I had a few months ago with his executives.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:54 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
Sure, talk to the guy to find out why he changed his mind. However, do you expect to shame him into offering you a job? At best you find out the real reason he reneged on his promise. I doubt you'll get the job anyway.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So ...

- you've never spoken with the hiring "manager" on the phone or in person about the job
- you've never forwarded a resume to this person, for all you know, he has never seen it
- this person never even interviewed you
- this person never extended an offer to you directly (salary, start date, other terms and conditions)

In effect, your friend is acting as your agent?

I don't think "networking" means what you think it means.
He did give us the salary and benefits package. As far a resume, see my last post. They don't have it, but other executives in his company have met me.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
He did give us the salary and benefits package. As far a resume, see my last post. They don't have it, but other executives in his company have met me.
Here's the problem. You keep looking for a workaround to fit your narrative that a job was offered.

No, I didn't get anything but my buddy got a text message.

No, he doesn't know me but he knows of me.

No, they don't have my resume but other executives in his company have met me.

You're trying to rationalize this and it's not rational.

Here's what I would do. Tell your friend you're disappointed and upset and would just like to know the reason this mean changed his mind. Ask him if he would be willing to find out.

If you call this guy or go to see him, you're putting him on the spot, and then in 30, 60, 90 days when he may be willing to hire, you will have burned that bridge. Trust me, it will come across as aggressive.

No offense, but I don't know how old you are or how much experience you have in the workforce, but your thinking about things is a little off. You would benefit by sticking around, asking questions, and than heeding the advice of people a little more seasoned than you.

We're not the bad guys, we're trying to help you, but you keep banging the same drum because we're not playing the only tune you have in your head right now. Which means, you have zero interest in learning and are only seeking validation.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Here's the problem. You keep looking for a workaround to fit your narrative that a job was offered.

No, I didn't get anything but my buddy got a text message.

No, he doesn't know me but he knows of me.

No, they don't have my resume but other executives in his company have met me.

You're trying to rationalize this and it's not rational.

Nope. I just didn't want to write a very long initial post. Everything I said was true. The benefits package was given to my friend verbally, not by text. Does that change the scenario? I would say no, I'm sure you would disagree. This guy does in fact 'know of me' although we have never formally met. I would say that the narrative does not fit your argument, but it certainly is factually true.

Quote:

Here's what I would do. Tell your friend you're disappointed and upset and
would just like to know the reason this mean changed his mind. Ask him if he
would be willing to find out.

If you call this guy or go to see him, you're putting him on the spot, and
then in 30, 60, 90 days when he may be willing to hire, you will have burned
that bridge. Trust me, it will come across as aggressive.
Yeah, I can see your point on this one. I haven't called him yet, for the record.

Quote:
No offense, but I don't know how old you are or how much experience you have in
the workforce, but your thinking about things is a little off. You would
benefit by sticking around, asking questions, and than heeding the advice of
people a little more seasoned than you.
Ya, ok. Like you, right?

Old 10-31-2014, 11:51 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times
Quote:
Last week, my friend texted me that his cousin had offered both of us jobs. The only 'hangup' was that the job requires some technical training. The plan as he explained it to me was that his cousin was going to pay for an abbreviated training for my friend (since he already has some knowledge of the industry), but that my friend would pay it back out of his first few checks. As for me, I was going to have to pay for my own training which basically amounted to a course/class that would take a few weeks. The course is expensive, but I readily agreed as I really need the job, and it's a good paying job. The plan was that my friend was to contact his cousin this week and set up a start date for himself. I was to introduce myself, get him to sign off on something, and apparently get an offer letter contingent upon me completing the course. It was then going to be up to me to register for and complete the course. As I mentioned it takes a few weeks and is quite expensive.

... How should we handle this?
Just say no. How can someone offer you a good job if you never even met with them? No, I don't like the smell of this whole thing. He sounds like a ten cent millionaire where you have to pay for your own training, that's complete and utter BS. The COMPANY is going to benefit from this training and they should be paying for it especially if you are doing this as an employee for the company.

I had a similar situation years ago, where I knew the owner of the business because he was a former customer of mine from another company I worked at. He talked big, wore expensive suits, luxury car and bragged about how big and great his business was. But when he came down to actually making me an offer, it was a shockingly small salary. I told him what I was looking for and he acted insulted. He made it sound like he was doing me a favor by making the offer. I didn't take the job, and within a month or so I got an offer for the exact salary he was so insulted about. I took that job instead.

Don't get mixed up in this situation with the cousin, because you aren't speaking for yourself and while you think your friend is watching out for you and has the best of intentions for you, he isn't the one in control of things there obviously. If you take this job and pay for your training, you are setting a very bad precedent for you to be further taken advantage of by this guy.

Contact your friend and say...
"I would like to tell you how much I appreciate your help for the job with your cousin. But I think it would be best for me to pursue other jobs at this time. I wish you the best of luck with things and I won't forget your kindness in looking out for me."

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 10-31-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Just say no. How can someone offer you a good job if you never even met with them? No, I don't like the smell of this whole thing. He sounds like a ten cent millionaire where you have to pay for your own training, that's complete and utter BS. The COMPANY is going to benefit from this training and they should be paying for it especially if you are doing this as an employee for the company.

I had a similar situation years ago, where I knew the owner of the business because he was a former customer of mine from another company I worked at. He talked big, wore expensive suits, luxury car and bragged about how big and great his business was. But when he came down to actually making me an offer, it was a shockingly small salary. I told him what I was looking for and he acted insulted. He made it sound like he was doing me a favor by making the offer. I didn't take the job, and within a month or so I got an offer for the exact salary he was so insulted about. I took that job instead.

Don't get mixed up in this situation with the cousin situation, because you aren't speaking for yourself and while you think your friend is watching out for you and has the best in intentions, he isn't the one in control of things there obviously. If you take this job and pay for your training, you are setting a very bad precedent for you to be further taken advantage of by this guy.

Contact your friend and say...
"I would like to tell you how much I appreciate your help for the job with your cousin. But I think it would be best for me to pursue other jobs at this time. I wish you the best of luck with things and I won't forget your kindness in looking out for me."
This is an interesting perspective that I hadn't thought of. It may well be that the guy is just really good at keeping up appearances and pays his employees poorly. Maybe he lied about what everyone was making and didn't want us to find out. That could def be it.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:58 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Does anyone pick up the phone anymore? How about you have a conversation?
Or even going to this guy's place of business and formally applying for a job. Take a resume or fill out an application, have an interview.

A text message on a friends phone does not constitute a personal job offer.

I wouldn't give up my present job nor would I pay for the expensive course and my friend's course with only third party info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search