Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:59 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Understood. Question is, what's the best way to convert this opportunity into a real job? I'm still leaning towards calling the guy. I have his number.
I can't believe you have 10 years of sales "experience" and can't even bring yourself to call a potential employer (a live lead) to schedule a meeting.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2014 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 12:00 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Or even going to this guy's place of business and formally applying for a job. Take a resume or fill out an application, have an interview.

A text message on a friends phone does not constitute a personal job offer.

I wouldn't give up my present job nor would I pay for the expensive course and my friend's course with only third party info.
Of course I wouldn't pay for the training without meeting him and getting a signed offer. As far as going to his place of business that's a little tricky because he is very hands off. From what I understand he goes into the office a couple of times a week and that's it.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:08 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's already over. Don't bother going with the friend, that will push him over the edge and he will probably tell both of you to eff off, and then talk about his cousin behind his back to his family about what scrubs he and his friend are.

Frankly, you both sound a little like bit like beggars. He probably got sick of the cousin getting all up in his grille about giving him a job, and then, oh by the way, Jim Bob needs a job too.

Your buddy bugged him one too many times, and now he's not willing to deal with it.

Besides, it's a very bad idea to hire family.
I agree. Furthermore, the OP might be getting this "job offer" through text entirely out of context. His cousin might have said "If he has X experience, Y skills, pays for his own expensive training and will accept the low starting salary of only Z, then we have a job for him sometime in the future". And his friend took all that as "You have a job offer".

Under no circumstances should anyone assume or expect a job offer to be valid unless you are dealing directly with the hiring manager. Period.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I agree. Furthermore, the OP might be getting this "job offer" through text entirely out of context. His cousin might have said "If he has X experience, Y skills, pays for his own expensive training and will accept the low starting salary of only Z, then we have a job for him sometime in the future". And his friend took all that as "You have a job offer".

Under no circumstances should anyone assume or expect a job offer to be valid unless you are dealing directly with the hiring manager. Period.
Nope. That is not what happened at all. You couldn't be more wrong.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

When I originally spoke to my friend about this, I simply asked him to introduce me to his cousin. Again, his cousin already knows who I am so it's not totally out of the blue for him.
That was the conversation that turned into a job offer. I never REFUSED to introduce myself and to suggest such a thing is just a smear campaign. Once I got the job offer, part of the offer was to meet up with the owner this week. As of Monday, that's where I thought we were in the process. Then the owner disappeared.

I certainly didn't find anything out of the ordinary whatsoever with the cousin giving me an offer via text. As a matter of fact, that's how I got my first real job. Exactly in that way. "Tell your buddy he can start on Monday." Granted that was almost 20 years ago, but in my mind I don't see why it couldn't happen again.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
This is an interesting perspective that I hadn't thought of. It may well be that the guy is just really good at keeping up appearances and pays his employees poorly. Maybe he lied about what everyone was making and didn't want us to find out. That could def be it.
There is a very interesting book called the Millionaire Next Door. The book is about saving and investing your money for a comfortable retirement. Through the surveys for the book, the authors found out interviewing many people who were self-made who had a net worth of at least $10M, that they actually lived much more frugally than you'd think. That's why the book is called the Millionaire Next Door, because you could be living next door to the guy who owns a shop in town who drives an older car, truck or van, but actually is worth several million dollars. But the thing is, he doesn't brag or show it. He doesn't buy anything unless he has cash for it, and the majority of the people who buy things like a Mercedes don't pay cash for it, they lease it. He doesn't buy things to show off. His home is modest and so is his clothes. They still cut coupons from the paper too.

The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy Paperback – November 16, 2010
by Thomas J. Stanley (Author), William D. Danko (Author)
If you can't afford to order it from Amazon.com, check your local libraries.

There is a philosophy that if you want to be successful you have to project an image of success. The problem is people do this with material needs. People see you living to the max in a McMansion, leasing a late model sports or luxury car, maxing out their credit cards to wear the latest trendy clothing, and dine in expensive places and have expensive vacations. If you actually saw how little money many of these people have in the bank and how much debt they have you'd be shocked.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I think at this point the OP is likely too intimidated by calling this guy up, because his friend spent so much effort building his cousin up to be such an important person.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
There is a very interesting book called the Millionaire Next Door. The book is about saving and investing your money for a comfortable retirement. Through the surveys for the book, the authors found out interviewing many people who were self-made who had a net worth of at least $10M, that they actually lived much more frugally than you'd think. That's why the book is called the Millionaire Next Door, because you could be living next door to the guy who owns a shop in town who drives an older car, truck or van, but actually is worth several million dollars. But the thing is, he doesn't brag or show it. He doesn't buy anything unless he has cash for it, and the majority of the people who buy things like a Mercedes don't pay cash for it, they lease it. He doesn't buy things to show off. His home is modest and so is his clothes. They still cut coupons from the paper too.

The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy Paperback – November 16, 2010
by Thomas J. Stanley (Author), William D. Danko (Author)
If you can't afford to order it from Amazon.com, check your local libraries.

There is a philosophy that if you want to be successful you have to project an image of success. The problem is people do this with material needs. People see you living to the max in a McMansion, leasing a late model sports or luxury car, maxing out their credit cards to wear the latest trendy clothing, and dine in expensive places and have expensive vacations. If you actually saw how little money many of these people have in the bank and how much debt they have you'd be shocked.
I highly doubt this guy is broke. He owns the buildings (several locations). He has over 100 people on his payroll. At the very minimum he has the money to make payroll, service his debt, go on vacation all the time, pay his x a hefty alimony sum, and only show up to work twice a week for a couple of hours. His inventory in and of itself is probably worth over 1 million.
Basically, more money than I'm likely to ever see.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I think at this point the OP is likely too intimidated by calling this guy up, because his friend spent so much effort building his cousin up to be such an important person.
Not at all, dude. Just trying to decide the best angle. I might go down to his company and wait for him next Monday. Haven't decided yet.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Nope. I just didn't want to write a very long initial post. Everything I said was true. The benefits package was given to my friend verbally, not by text. Does that change the scenario? I would say no, I'm sure you would disagree. This guy does in fact 'know of me' although we have never formally met. I would say that the narrative does not fit your argument, but it certainly is factually true.

Yeah, I can see your point on this one. I haven't called him yet, for the record.

Ya, ok. Like you, right?
Forget me. Look at page after page of people voicing their opinions and 99% of them are all saying the same thing. These are not kids, they're adults who have a lot of experience and know what they're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search