U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-01-2014, 11:58 AM
 
131 posts, read 160,930 times
Reputation: 147

Advertisements

The modern 21st Century Resume used in today's incredibly competitive job market for professional white collar jobs that required advanced education and experience:

Two pages long (in most cases unless you are just out of college)

Key Words linked specifically to the skills needed for the job for the Applicant Tracking Software

Social Network (LinkedIn) address listed

Accomplishment Statements vs. a list of tasks

Career Headline vs. a Career Objective

Statement of qualifications in bullets near the top

Written specific to an actual job

Able to be scanned by a computer and then if it passes that, ability to get sell yourself in a ten second scan

Shows how your knowledge and skills in technology have added valuable to previous employers and solved organizational challenges
--------

The old fashioned 20th Century Resume (still be used foolishly today)

Jam everything in to one page no matter how many jobs you have

No Key Words or skills list

Lists every task they did in every job

Career Objective

Subjective statements saying how wonderful you are

Written for jobs in general

Written with the expectation that the hiring manager will read it thoroughly.

Last edited by Office Politics; 11-01-2014 at 12:21 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2014, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
16,330 posts, read 18,278,004 times
Reputation: 14517
I haven't updated my resume in years. Social media has completely replaced it. I use Facebook, Ning, Linked-In. And I'm a dinosaur when it comes to that stuff. The only time I've even used a resume, which was years out of date from when I was working in a completely different industry, was when doing a contract job for the government. They needed a resume so I just gave them what I had which said I worked in accounting =D
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2014, 09:50 PM
 
270 posts, read 223,023 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
The modern 21st Century Resume used in today's incredibly competitive job market for professional white collar jobs that required advanced education and experience:

Two pages long (in most cases unless you are just out of college)

Key Words linked specifically to the skills needed for the job for the Applicant Tracking Software

Social Network (LinkedIn) address listed

Accomplishment Statements vs. a list of tasks

Career Headline vs. a Career Objective

Statement of qualifications in bullets near the top

Written specific to an actual job

Able to be scanned by a computer and then if it passes that, ability to get sell yourself in a ten second scan

Shows how your knowledge and skills in technology have added valuable to previous employers and solved organizational challenges
--------

The old fashioned 20th Century Resume (still be used foolishly today)

Jam everything in to one page no matter how many jobs you have

No Key Words or skills list

Lists every task they did in every job

Career Objective

Subjective statements saying how wonderful you are

Written for jobs in general

Written with the expectation that the hiring manager will read it thoroughly.
Frankly, I preferred the 20th century resume. The list of accomplishments crap is so easy to B.S. that if I did the hiring, I would immediately ask for references on anything that looked suspicious.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 02:45 AM
 
305 posts, read 247,009 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
Frankly, I preferred the 20th century resume. The list of accomplishments crap is so easy to B.S. that if I did the hiring, I would immediately ask for references on anything that looked suspicious.


I agree. The bias in the poster was so amazingly obvious.

I love how he thinks that just putting a bunch of keywords makes your resume better. It makes it look even more generic than normal.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 05:19 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,670,655 times
Reputation: 1143
Keep your resume to 1 page. No one's going to look at page 2. There's a difference between a resume and a CV.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 AM
 
131 posts, read 160,930 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
I agree. The bias in the poster was so amazingly obvious.

I love how he thinks that just putting a bunch of keywords makes your resume better. It makes it look even more generic than normal.
KEYWORDS are just one important aspect of a 21st Century Resume.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM
 
6,381 posts, read 7,504,289 times
Reputation: 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
I love how he thinks that just putting a bunch of keywords makes your resume better. It makes it look even more generic than normal.
It looks worse to a human, but not to a computer. I've seen people literally just shove a "Keywords" or "Skills" section at the end of their resume, shoving tons of search terms into it. It probably does get them past some computerized filters, but it looks like crap to the human who then reviews it. I think the key is to get the search terms in your resume in a meaningful way.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM
 
10,076 posts, read 5,690,960 times
Reputation: 15436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It looks worse to a human, but not to a computer. I've seen people literally just shove a "Keywords" or "Skills" section at the end of their resume, shoving tons of search terms into it. It probably does get them past some computerized filters, but it looks like crap to the human who then reviews it. I think the key is to get the search terms in your resume in a meaningful way.
could always "frame" the resume with the keywords... but people really include a "search terms" section on resume? HAHA, never even thought of that, does that even look professional?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 AM
 
Location: RI, MA, VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (that one sucked), KY
38,727 posts, read 29,129,078 times
Reputation: 36261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
KEYWORDS are just one important aspect of a 21st Century Resume.

Not really. Or, not unless you're just throwing your resume out there through big company HR software.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Springfield
709 posts, read 643,656 times
Reputation: 1481
What is a career headline?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top