Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 AM

403 posts, read 557,509 times

Advertisements

I've never asked, but I have been told before on a couple occasions. Once, there were 3 of us interviewing for 1 position and I didn't get that job right then, but about a month later, they called me and offered me the job. I'm assuming the person they hired didn't work out or just didn't like the job him/herself and quit. Another time, they told me that I was 1 of 22 people being interviewed for 3 positions. I got the job that time. Once, and I thought this was odd, I was told that I was the only person called in for the 1 opening they had. After the interview, the hiring manager told me that I had the job when they called me basically, but the interview was just a formality. All 3 of these interviews were face to face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
If you could please state whether it was over the phone or in person.

The only times I've heard about how many other applicants there may be was over the phone.

Do you guys ask about this stuff or just ask more important questions (which I usually plan on doing) and move on?

I never have but honestly I don't care how many others were being interviewed. I was there for myself and I don't compare myself with others so that question is a moot point for me.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 PM

271 posts, read 427,046 times
I've never asked. I don't see the need to. What difference does it make? If I find there are 10 other applicants is that supposed to make me feel good or bad?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:30 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
I have not though I sometimes I am told by the interviewer that we have "x number more of people to see about the position"- a bad sign perhaps lol.... The way I see it for sure, without a doubt, without question to the point that it would be useless to ask- I am competing against a great number of people for that singular job opening.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:04 PM

399 posts, read 568,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
It's a very inappropriate question to ask.
If so, it should be equally as inappropriate for an interviewER to ask how many other offers a candidate is considering and/or what other companies they've interviewed with.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
If so, it should be equally as inappropriate for an interviewER to ask how many other offers a candidate is considering and/or what other companies they've interviewed with.
EXACTLY and when a candidate asks me how many other people are in the running, I fire that right back at them. Fast. Also start peppering them with questions at that point, about their other interviews. Then they realize who is actually in charge during the interview. Me.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:40 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
Yes, it's inappropriate both ways.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:57 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Actually, It is none of your business. You are being considered on your merits. There may be 2 applicants, or 1,000, it is still the same, the best qualified and one able to handle personal interviews is the one that gets the job.. If you have the right qualifications and are the best applicant you will get the job. If not, you will not be hired.

Start asking questions like that, and forget the job, you are not going to be hired.

Back in my corporate days, I hired hundreds of people so I know what I am talking about.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:23 AM

183 posts, read 292,534 times
I believe mostly its mentioned under job posting the requirement of employer but asking about it won't make any bad impression in fact its considered good to ask questions.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilywhite View Post
I believe mostly its mentioned under job posting the requirement of employer but asking about it won't make any bad impression in fact its considered good to ask questions.
It's mentioned in the job posting how many applicants there are? I think you're misreading the question but as far as that's concerned it's NOT a good idea to ask that question for all the reasons previously stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search