Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

If it hasn't been mentioned, I would suspect that no reimbursement will be given. Not as many companies are still paying for applicant travel, because they typically have sufficient local talent available. Here for example, only recruited executives would get any kind of travel expenses. Middle management and below are on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 01:11 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
Maybe just me but I have never heard of a situation where the company knows that you are not local, interviewed you via phone anyway, and then asked you to come for an in-person interview, and then expected you to pay for your own travel.

A few years ago I interviewed at my absolute dream company. After the phone screens they flew me out and the interviews went well but I was basically a borderline candidate. Some wanted to hire me but one guy didn't. It went back and forth for months and got escalated to a high up guy to make a decision and he said "let's have one more interview and that will be our decision."

Well, the "one more interview" would make it or break it and they wanted to do it via phone. I offered to fly out there on my own dime for that interview since this was my dream job. The recruiter said that isn't necessary and told me to just do it via phone. Well, I did it via phone and didn't get the offer. I think being in person would have been better but oh well. The guy on the phone also didn't know how important this was as he thought he was doing an initial phone screen (at the end he said "you'll hear back from our recruiter on whether we bring you on-site or not...or you might have another phone screen, etc."

To end this story...I actually interviewed again a few years after that. I was making about 2X what I was making back then but that time they hired me...and gave me a raise. Those guys paid me over 2X what they were going to pay me had I actually gotten in that first time.

Alls well that ends well I guess.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,137 times
We always pay for job candidates' on-site interviews. We bring people in when we are maybe 75 percent sure we plan to hire him/her.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
if no recruiter then there has to be a HR person in contact with you. Its highly unlikely that the hiring manager is directly coordinating this with u.
Nope. You're incorrect. My first contact/interview was with the hiring mngr.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:33 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Nope. You're incorrect. My first contact/interview was with the hiring mngr.
so you submitted your resume directly to the hiring manager and he interviewed you without involving HR. I am beginning to think what kind of company it is

Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
Maybe just me but I have never heard of a situation where the company knows that you are not local, interviewed you via phone anyway, and then asked you to come for an in-person interview, and then expected you to pay for your own travel.

A few years ago I interviewed at my absolute dream company. After the phone screens they flew me out and the interviews went well but I was basically a borderline candidate. Some wanted to hire me but one guy didn't. It went back and forth for months and got escalated to a high up guy to make a decision and he said "let's have one more interview and that will be our decision."

Well, the "one more interview" would make it or break it and they wanted to do it via phone. I offered to fly out there on my own dime for that interview since this was my dream job. The recruiter said that isn't necessary and told me to just do it via phone. Well, I did it via phone and didn't get the offer. I think being in person would have been better but oh well. The guy on the phone also didn't know how important this was as he thought he was doing an initial phone screen (at the end he said "you'll hear back from our recruiter on whether we bring you on-site or not...or you might have another phone screen, etc."

To end this story...I actually interviewed again a few years after that. I was making about 2X what I was making back then but that time they hired me...and gave me a raise. Those guys paid me over 2X what they were going to pay me had I actually gotten in that first time.

Great, inspirational story, RVD. Are you still with the company?

I'm still awaiting a response after my 3rd phone interview. All 3 were very pleasant, although they did ask very pointed questions & each made it a point to tell me they liked me. The only bump was the last said she felt I was over-qualified, sounded more like upper mngmt, not middle & she was afraid I might be bored with the job. It was the 1st time I'd ever casually tried to convince someone I was a little less qualified.

I'm a little nervous I haven't heard anything in 1-wk & the hiring mngr was so responsive with emails before/after each interview, but it's out of my hands & there's nothing else I feel I can do. So, at this point, I'll post back to update once I find out one way or the other.

Thank you again, everyone.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
so you submitted your resume directly to the hiring manager and he interviewed you without involving HR. I am beginning to think what kind of company it is
Hahaha, you have no bloody idea. You only want to argue or be snide, so I won't debate/banter/respond any longer. You're not offering much to the thread, so please stop. Have a good week.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:06 PM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post

I traveled from TN to IN after a couple of phone interviews and was not reimbursed, but was hired.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Hahaha, you have no bloody idea. You only want to argue or be snide, so I won't debate/banter/respond any longer. You're not offering much to the thread, so please stop. Have a good week.
Don't take it personal buddy. I hire lot of H-1B Indians everyday who say any location is their base location or they move like gypsies all year long. But the point was not to argue with you. You posted a question, I posted my comment in essence of free speech. You decided to be Correct/Incorrect police and all I am saying is that it is very unlikely for a manager to hire and coordinate interviews for a position without keeping HR involved. It is possible and it would be nice if you shared how you went about getting the interview process scheduled. Plus looks like your a still a novice in this process since you want to post a question on forum rather than address it with your manager. Maybe its your first professional job in this country. Its all good. Just try to address the right question to right person instead of public forum. Its not that hard. Best of luck.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I traveled from TN to IN after a couple of phone interviews and was not reimbursed, but was hired.
If they didn't offer to cover expenses, no hard feelings, I'd still show up for a face-to-face meeting. Of course, I'd greatly appreciate it if they did & thought perhaps they might not offer if I didn't inquire. I just want to take advantage of any benefits that may be available to me. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search