Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 02:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
This is why you need to by-pass HR entirely and find out who the hiring manager is and get your resume in front of them. It's beyond foolish to look at a resume without seeing the qualifications and accomplishments first, and focus on pointless things like start and end dates as a top priority. You do this by networking. If you aren't on linkedin then you should be.
I don't believe anyone is looking at start and end dates during a scanning process. It's experience and education which is a good way to determine if someone meets the upfront qualifications for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 04:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I don't believe anyone is looking at start and end dates during a scanning process. It's experience and education which is a good way to determine if someone meets the upfront qualifications for a job.

I look at start and end dates during the quick scan. You'd be surprised at the number of people who cannot keep jobs. Three months in one place, then off for six, then two months someplace else, then off for three, etc. This kind of history indicates a problem.

Of course I look a little further to make sure I'm not eliminating someone who did temp jobs or internships, but most of the time that's not the case.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:23 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I look at start and end dates during the quick scan. You'd be surprised at the number of people who cannot keep jobs. Three months in one place, then off for six, then two months someplace else, then off for three, etc. This kind of history indicates a problem.

Of course I look a little further to make sure I'm not eliminating someone who did temp jobs or internships, but most of the time that's not the case.
What happens if it someone like me where two jobs ended through no fault of my own. Job one, which was a temp job. was lost due to upper management losing the bid to retain two of three properties I managed. I was let go by the owner three weeks after being told by my direct superior that not only was I being hired on but I was also getting a raise.

Job 2 I returned to a position with an old management company but six months later the owner of the building sold it and the management contract to a new company. They kept me on for three months until the transfer was done and the senior manager moved in.

I do not put these explanations on my resume as it would be considered bad mouthing former employers. So I wait to explain in interviews. Which is held against me anyway no doubt.

If you only scan my resume and do not talk to me no doubt you would discard it out of hand wouldn't you? Thereby holding things against me that were completely out of my control.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
What happens if it someone like me where two jobs ended through no fault of my own. Job one, which was a temp job. was lost due to upper management losing the bid to retain two of three properties I managed. I was let go by the owner three weeks after being told by my direct superior that not only was I being hired on but I was also getting a raise.

Job 2 I returned to a position with an old management company but six months later the owner of the building sold it and the management contract to a new company. They kept me on for three months until the transfer was done and the senior manager moved in.

I do not put these explanations on my resume as it would be considered bad mouthing former employers. So I wait to explain in interviews. Which is held against me anyway no doubt.

If you only scan my resume and do not talk to me no doubt you would discard it out of hand wouldn't you? Thereby holding things against me that were completely out of my control.
Most people are not focused on gaps when reviewing resumes just how your experience is connected to the open position

Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
We look at all applications for our openings -- a recent listing attracted about 275 resumes before I had the company take down the job -- and involve HR only when we are quite far along and need a real background check. Every applicant doesn't deserve a response but does deserve to be considered.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post

Two isn't bad. I would still put Temp in the listing if I were you. I've seen people with two pages filled with one job after the next and they've only gone back three years. BIG problem.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confounded View Post
Nobody will admit to it of course, but it's still done. Try sending out some Toni resumes and see if you get more responses.
Better yet, "Tony". They'll do a double take when they realize you're not a guy, but you're already in the door. (only half-kidding here)

Old 11-08-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Two isn't bad. I would still put Temp in the listing if I were you. I've seen people with two pages filled with one job after the next and they've only gone back three years. BIG problem.
Thanks. Both were completely out of my control. What you mentioned does seem problematic though.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Most people are not focused on gaps when reviewing resumes just how your experience is connected to the open position
OK. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:21 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
First thing that is looked for, is does their previous job positions, give any indication they are qualified to do the job you are offering. Combine this, with your education background.

If you have not worked in the field, and/or have not been educated for the position, then your application is immediately rejected. There will always be people qualified for the job by work history and/or education so why waste your time on the others.

Just because someone is sending out applications for every job that comes along, does not mean they should be considered for a particular job if there are qualified applicants.

Those are the first thing looked at to make the first cut in applications, your name, sex, etc., need not even be considered on the first cut which will eliminate most of the applications.

I repeat what I have said before, "If you have had a number of applications and not able to get a job, it is your fault you are being eliminated". Quit blaming the interviewer. It is your fault. Until you find what you are doing to turn off HMs and willing to admit your are in t he wrong, you will not be getting the jobs you apply for.

The biggest thing that kills your chance for the job, is your attitude and personality. You give the interviewer the impression you will not be a team player and not fit in with the other members of the team you will be working with. That is what keeps so many people from getting a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search