Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 02:05 AM

810 posts, read 1,341,841 times

Advertisements

Not everyone is going to have strong references. For whatever reason, you didn't get along well with your previous supervisors/managers, your "personal" references are people you haven't affiliated with in years.

Someone in their early 20's can put down a high school counselor or coach, but after 25 putting anyone down from high school or college might look a bit odd, like you have no one else. A reference from someone in the clergy could be off-putting to the interviewer if they are of a different religion or athiest.

Lately, I've gotten the impression even the most basic jobs want some sort of reference, and they will also look up that person or even conduct a short interview on that person (about themselves & the person applying for the job). I've had it happen to me before when a friend used me as a reference.

Also, some people are very private and don't want to be listed as references. I have one friend who holds a PhD in a highly specialized field, and has specifically told me they would prefer not to be used as a reference because of privacy concerns.

How big a deal really is it? If you only have a few references from friends or extended family (with different last name) is that enough, assuming they do not have impressive CV's or high-paying careers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 AM

587 posts, read 915,268 times
There are a few ways of looking at this.

References don't need to have fancy careers or titles - no one is looking at their resume. References ideally are people who worked with you in a supervisory capacity or people who supervised others. I also think it's okay to use an 'old' reference if the person will give you a good one.

Most people don't call references. I have been a reference for a few friends looking for work and I have been called twice. I actually had someone thank me for a glowing reference I gave when she was offered the job -- the person had never talked to me and lied to the new hire!

Unofficial references can be important. If you worked at Company X and are now interviewing at Company Y, Company Y might know someone at Company X and ask about you. They might look you up on LinkedIn to see who you have in common. If I burned a bridge when I left an employer, I would be more worried about this than about the references I provide.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:18 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
I sometimes put more weight on references than I do the interview. They should be professional affiliations, and preferably someone you were subordinate to. A personal reference is fine as long as it's not standing alone.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:39 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Do you know the name of the HR representative of your former company which could provide a basic reference? Do you have any professional peers or friends, people you may not have necessarily worked with, but whom could provide a legitimate personal reference about your character? That is what employers are looking for, solid references from people who can either validate that you worked at Company A, and can provide confirmation that you are someone likable and has a solid work history.

I know a lot of people have a problem with references, so I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
I have 4 ,owner of a company, a boss, a parent, coworker.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:49 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I have 4 ,owner of a company, a boss, a parent, coworker.
That's great, I have a similar set of references and I think the 'owner of a company' is an excellent one. I have a friend who is president and CEO of his own company and we're best friends. He's based in Toronto. It looks good to add him on my select list of references.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
That's great, I have a similar set of references and I think the 'owner of a company' is an excellent one. I have a friend who is president and CEO of his own company and we're best friends. He's based in Toronto. It looks good to add him on my select list of references.
Heck yeah, you have awesome ones.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
No offense to you, Raena, but I don't know anyone who would take seriously a reference from a parent. I don't put much stock in personal references, I don't ask for them and wouldn't call them, but I think a parent would be particularly biased.

Trancedout, you say personal references are people you haven't affiliated with in years, but personal references are friends, neighbors, people who know you on a personal level. Are you saying you haven't any?

Old 11-10-2014, 09:59 AM

It is good for the field I'm working.Which is with children.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:14 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,511,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
There are a few ways of looking at this.

References don't need to have fancy careers or titles - no one is looking at their resume. References ideally are people who worked with you in a supervisory capacity or people who supervised others. I also think it's okay to use an 'old' reference if the person will give you a good one.

Most people don't call references. I have been a reference for a few friends looking for work and I have been called twice. I actually had someone thank me for a glowing reference I gave when she was offered the job -- the person had never talked to me and lied to the new hire!

Unofficial references can be important. If you worked at Company X and are now interviewing at Company Y, Company Y might know someone at Company X and ask about you. They might look you up on LinkedIn to see who you have in common. If I burned a bridge when I left an employer, I would be more worried about this than about the references I provide.
Dang right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search