Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times

Advertisements

I keep getting emails from them offering me contract positions, like on a weekly basis. The pay is attractive enough, but I'm not interested in taking temporary work because I don't have temporary bills.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:41 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
Yes, I hang up on Indian recruiters.
What if it were an American recruiter from India ??

Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
When I was unemployed, I welcomed all queries regarding any employment that I may not know about. The more recruiters I can get to shop my resume around to their clients, the better it is for me.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:23 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
One way a coworker suggested in getting rid of recruiters is to tell them your rate is $100/hr. If they fib or exclaim that this is a project management position that pays $45/hr, or a junior software developer position that pays $25/hr, tell them that your rate is till $100/hr. Heck, if they bite, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Hang up on them..that is fine..
but do it on the basis of their actions..

Why not just say that recruiters that call and don't seem above board
and don't know the language get on your nerves...

It is when a whole group is judged that it becomes prejudice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
What if it were an American recruiter from India ??
I can't speak for others on this forum, but for me, Indian recruiters annoy me because of their basis of their actions. There is no racisms involved here! Half of them, I never hear back from again. On a couple of occasions, when a hot job came on the market, 7 of them called me within a 3 hour time frame. There are those that expect you to relocate 200 to 3000 miles away for a 4 to 12 month contract. If a white person or European sounding person has treated me the same, I'd be annoyed at them too. It just so happens that every one of these folks have been Indian thus far. Some even ask for a social security number (privacy and security alert to be asking this before even an interview is scheduled), or to provide professional references (one of my former managers congratulated me on a prospect, but then I had to correct him that no, I don't even know if i'll get an interview with them. Another manager suspected that a recruiter that was trying to solicit which firms are hiring could've been from me)

Also, many have horrendous accents. Not racist either, as I've had soft spoken people try to talk with me (annoying to have to ask them several times to please speak up), or folks who can't enunciate (mixing up sounds and words). These folks AFAI can tell were clearly NOT Indian, but they annoyed me all the same for not being able to communicate clearly.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:12 PM
g89

126 posts, read 179,642 times
for recent college grads.....they're a savior

I got my first job as an entry level analyst making more than the average household income in the US
2 years later now close to six figures with another firm

as far as career....they did more for me than my university

Old 11-16-2014, 11:53 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Recruiters that email me with job descriptions that don't fit my background are quickly deleted, doesn't matter what race they are.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Don't let your racism blind you to genuine opportunity.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:43 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Don't let your racism blind you to genuine opportunity.
This is a good point at which to lock the thread. Dozens of off-topic and inappropriate posts have been deleted. The thread will remain closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search