Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
THIS is the answer! No one here, while suggesting he jump on the offer because it is an offer, has asked what the job entails. No one has asked what the turnover rate is at this company. No one has asked what the possibilities (and probabilities) are for advancement. These are questions he should be asking and maybe he has. It sounds to me like this could be a boiler room operation for a call center; if that's the case, I'd recommend that he avoids it.

I'm not recommending he take or pass on either job. I'm recommending he consider all of them. There may be another opportunity around the corner, so don't let him count those birds in the bush before they hatch in his hands. How's that for a mixed metaphor?
I agree with this. Hopefully, he is researching this job as much as his mom is because ultimately it is his decision. It's also time for him to grab his life and career by the reins.

I also don't understand all of this advice regarding taking the job based on the pay. Although $15 an hour may be great for Omaha, Nebraska, it is not going be wonderful for NYC, Los Angeles, Boston Massachusetts, Hartford, CT, Philly, and many other areas of the country.

The information you've given just isn't enough to make a determination, in other words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Forget the Enterprise. It's a joke
I agree, reread what I posted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
To give you a bit more information, and this is without knowing where you live, but in other fields that would be considered low. But we see posts here all the time from those who have Sociology degrees who cannot find any kind of business job like the one he's found. So, he has his foot in the door and that's a great thing.

I tell you this because you may hear from others at some point that their kids have found jobs that pay more, and I want you to know the reason we're saying this is a good opportunity.

Congratulations to your son. I know it's a big relief for both of you.
$15 per hour is over twice the federal minimum wage. He has a SOCIOLOGY degree, it is USELESS! Having a job offer with an USELESS SOCIOLOGY degree before graduation from a non-Ivy League school is almost unheard of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Exactly this, he found a decent job with a degree that many employers see as useless. In most cases his future would probably be retail/fast food. He must take the job, it is his "foot in the door" . After he builds up a couple months-years of experience he will have a good shot at landing the better paying jobs.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerrunner View Post
Speaking as someone who has a degree in Sociology with a minor in English, I would encourage him to take the position, but also to make a determined effort to obtain professional qualifications or certification in a specific field, or an advanced degree in either the same or another field.

This is something I failed to do because I could not decide what I wanted to do as a career, and ended up being "stuck" in sales.
The bachelors degree establishes the graduate has the ability to organize work, research a subject, work independently, and complete assignments on time. All of these are useful job skills but not enough by themselves to ensure a successful career.
Do not get a MS in Sociology, it is just as useless except you would have two pieces of paper instead of one and exponentially more debt!!

The only thing a bachelor's degree in sociology establishes is that the student was probably too stupid or too lazy to pursue a more challenging degree that teaches him a useful skill-set that has a much higher probably of getting him a job after graduation!

80% of bachelor's degrees are USELESS. The only degrees that actually substantially increases your chances of getting a good job after undergraduate are as follows:

Engineering
Computer Science
Accounting

Old 11-18-2014, 10:04 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Sorry, disagree about cutting the cord and letting him be a man. Choosing where to start your career could be the single most important decision of his life so parental guidance is necessary here.
If the parent was in tune with the job market and whatnot, perhaps. but she is on here asking for advise since she isnt.

Sociology is a weak major, but a bachelors is a bachelors. He could definitely find a $35-40,000 entry level gig with benefits at a big company if he put his mind to it.

He could go either way with this offer. If he wants to get into marketing as a career and this company looks like it has a good future, I would go for it. If he does take the job it should be an 18 month kind of thing. He should be looking for a new job if he hasn't been promoted by that point.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post

$15 per hour is over twice the federal minimum wage. He has a SOCIOLOGY degree, it is USELESS! Having a job offer with an USELESS SOCIOLOGY degree before graduation from a non-Ivy League school is almost unheard of!

I agree.

Do not get a MS in Sociology, it is just as useless except you would have two pieces of paper instead of one and exponentially more debt!!

The only thing a bachelor's degree in sociology establishes is that the student was probably too stupid or too lazy to pursue a more challenging degree that teaches him a useful skill-set that has a much higher probably of getting him a job after graduation!

80% of bachelor's degrees are USELESS. The only degrees that actually substantially increases your chances of getting a good job after undergraduate are as follows:

Engineering
Computer Science
Accounting
Wow, talk about a whole bunch of ignorant nonsense. I have yet to see a college degree that is "USELESS". One does not need to attend an Ivy League school to succeed in the field of sociology.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
He needs an overall gameplan with a focus and a Plan A, B, etc.

It's pretty obvious he has none if he majored in Sociology and interviewed at Enterprise Rent a Car.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:36 AM

399 posts, read 568,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Sorry, disagree about cutting the cord and letting him be a man.
Most people do. That's why we have such an influx of extra large babies who can do very little more than have sex by themselves, and I'm almost sure that if it were permitted, mom would be there directing that as well.

These posts and this behavior is almost ALWAYS from mothers. I've had moms come pick up applications. They've called inquiring about available positions. They've brought their children to interviews (not drop them off, but walk them in too). They've called to check on the status of their kids' applications. At some point, YOU HAVE TO TRUST THE JOB YOU DID.If you don't have faith in the job you did with them as children, very little you are going to do is going to help them get and KEEP that job. You'll be job searching for them for the rest of your life. You'll get them in the door, but what can you do to keep them there?

I've had parents to call and verify their children have done their insurance enrollment documents properly, even though we have a whole HR department here to help them should they need it. I've had parents who have called to get help reading their paycheck stubs and one demanding an explanation as to why they were let go. You're NOT helping them as much as you think you are.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post

Isn't that pretty much what I said, without all the PANIC and DRAMA???!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:13 PM

399 posts, read 568,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Isn't that pretty much what I said, without all the PANIC and DRAMA???!!!!!!
Yes, but that poster was giving a 2 for 1 offer on advice and panic and drama.
You were all sensible like. That's no fun.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
Most people do. That's why we have such an influx of extra large babies who can do very little more than have sex by themselves, and I'm almost sure that if it were permitted, mom would be there directing that as well.

These posts and this behavior is almost ALWAYS from mothers. I've had moms come pick up applications. They've called inquiring about available positions. They've brought their children to interviews (not drop them off, but walk them in too). They've called to check on the status of their kids' applications. At some point, YOU HAVE TO TRUST THE JOB YOU DID.If you don't have faith in the job you did with them as children, very little you are going to do is going to help them get and KEEP that job. You'll be job searching for them for the rest of your life. You'll get them in the door, but what can you do to keep them there?

I've had parents to call and verify their children have done their insurance enrollment documents properly, even though we have a whole HR department here to help them should they need it. I've had parents who have called to get help reading their paycheck stubs and one demanding an explanation as to why they were let go. You're NOT helping them as much as you think you are.

Thanks for the laugh in the post above, dmk!

It's not that some mothers (not the op) don't trust the job they did - the job they did resulted in "He won't do it if I don't take him."

Having said that, I think the op is just curious and doing some digging on her own to get more information.

There's nothing wrong with guiding and advising our children as they enter new phases of their lives, and if a parent doesn't know how to guide and advise, it's best to get some answers first.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:23 PM

626 posts, read 903,182 times
I'm not sure what the job market is like in your area. Anyway, I'd suggest that he takes the job and work on his MBA in the meantime. More doors opens up with an MBA. (Not an MS). In addition, look for jobs in other states, (if he has no ties to where he is, he should be open to relocating elsewhere).
The fact that he's "grown up" does not mean that you just toss him to the side to make decisions. He's going through a transition phase and still needs advice. He completed college so he's not a slouch. You know your child. Some kids leave college and fly immediately while some still needs a little more assistance. Do as much as you can (within reason) to guide him. Support, suggest and encourage him to persevere. Sometimes we can be too harsh on our young people. Our days of growing up and theirs are completely different. We have to find different ways to encourage them. Just my opinion. Congratulations and best of luck to your son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search