Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 10:19 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times

Advertisements

I had my first interview via Skype this morning with a recruiter (30 miles away) who found my info on LinkedIn. It was very convenient and efficient. It lasted about 30 minutes and it happened before I left for work. When she called me yesterday to discuss an opportunity with me, she was anxious to meet me to get the ball rolling. It was she who mentioned Skype and it turned out great. She gave me tips to edit my resume for the job she wants to submit me for, which I have already done and emailed her.

Have you interviewed with Skype? What were the pros and cons of your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:54 AM

27 posts, read 35,121 times
I did an one a couple of weeks ago. Mine as well was relatively short, only being about 25 minutes. I have mixed feelings about it. My interviewer was using her cell phone, and we had some bad receptions at times. It was funny though, with this being her first time interviewing someone via Skype, she joked around on if I was going to dress up. Which I did for it.
i
Anyways, sounds like you got some feedback and good luck.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Have you interviewed with Skype? What were the pros and cons of your experience?
I had one with a recruiter, it was convenient, but I never got work out of it.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 AM

493 posts, read 980,261 times
I had a couple Skype interviews with recruiters. For dealing with recruiters I prefer it, I'm not going to take a day off work to go to the recruiter's office for a brief meeting so they can "get to know me." If they can't work with me using either phone, email, or Skype then I'll just find a different recruiter to work with. For actual job interviews, however, I definitely prefer in person.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:27 PM

292 posts, read 1,243,919 times
Hated it. The signal was iffy at times, and the girl interviewing me was in her bedroom with a gazillion things behind her. It was distracting. I set myself up so I would have a blank wall behind me.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
It would be good to practice a mock Skype interview with someone you know with the full video. I haven't had one yet, but know that some employers have them for people who apply for 100% remote positions.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:54 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I had several Skype interviews for a position 2 years ago. With the final person I met with, the Skype connection dropped several times. I got the offer, but didn't accept.

Shortly before that, another organization interviewed me using some video platform they had set up. Unfortunately they couldn't get their camera rolling, so they could see and hear me, but I could only hear them. I felt at a huge disadvantage. I did not get an offer with them (fortunately wasn't that interested, anyway), but I always thought the way the interview went down was a negative.

These were both for positions in another city, so I appreciated the convenience.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:00 AM

359 posts, read 476,760 times
I had a skype interview with a company from Austria that I now work part-time for. It lasted about 20 minutes and we had video and audio on both sides. Did not have any connection problems (this is an issue with either you or the person interviewing you, not skype) and it was much more efficient than flying to Austria.

For what its worth, I put on a shirt and tie, but no pants. I really just wanted to be able to tell my friends I did a job interview without any pants on.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:16 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,680 times
I had one earlier this spring. I enjoyed it more than a typical phone interview with a hiring manager. Somewhat like a face to face interview. I actually wish I could do more Skype interviews once I speak to someone beyond corporate recruiters, but have only done one so far. For what it's worth, I thought it went well but was rejected a week later. The job title in question was renamed and requirements modified.

Pros: convenient, no travel, more personal than phone since you can see each other, don't need to even wear pants (I did though)
Cons: must have decent functioning web cam, internet connection dependent, must be aware of your background/surroundings, don't stand up if you don't wear pants

Old 11-22-2014, 08:30 PM

166 posts, read 482,690 times
I just interviewed a job candidate on the East coast via Skype (at my request). The room behind this person was a pigsty - completely trashed. This factored into the interview for me on multiple levels, but mostly because they would be teaching customer paying classes from home. The other issue is that the person was dressed like they were just hanging around the house on a weekend. Dress appropriately even for Skype interviews. They did not get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search