Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:56 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,621,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If it was actually Tourette's Syndrome than the HR woman would have been aware of that, and more than likely told the OP in advance in the event the interviewer had an outburst.

Sounds more like a case of an arrogant SOB who realized he made a mistake and tried to do damage control by going after the OP.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 12:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,713,982 times
This story is either a gross exaggeration or the OP has anger problems that need to be addressed and should not be working in a professional environment. I'm not saying OP shouldn't have ended the interview, but screaming and swearing and storming out shows a complete lack of control. There is also the possibility that the interviewer has other connections in the industry and that this behavior could come back to haunt the OP in unforeseen ways. The interviewer sounds as if he behaved inappropriately(although it's hard to tell for sure because he was not given the chance to explain himself) but the OP reacted both unprofessionally and immaturely to the situation.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:18 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,264,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
This story is either a gross exaggeration or the OP has anger problems that need to be addressed and should not be working in a professional environment. I'm not saying OP shouldn't have ended the interview, but screaming and swearing and storming out shows a complete lack of control. There is also the possibility that the interviewer has other connections in the industry and that this behavior could come back to haunt the OP in unforeseen ways. The interviewer sounds as if he behaved inappropriately(although it's hard to tell for sure because he was not given the chance to explain himself) but the OP reacted both unprofessionally and immaturely to the situation.
The interviewers don't have a network where they maintain a secret database of employees to blacklist. Anyone that behaved this stupidly at the company is no threat to anyone. If he was really offended, he wouldn't have chased after him in the parking lot. The interview with a company has to be a two-way street and they have to meet you half-way with respect. Respect is earned and if they don't treat you with respect they have to be educated in how to behave and the OP did the right thing. Sitting there, smiling, nodding and taking it, zero good would have come out of it for anyone. This way at least the interviewer will be forced to re-examine how they are treating others in the work place. They might tell their direct reports to "shut up" like that all the time, and now there's a chance he might realize people don't like that. But to just take that abuse does nothing to improve the situation for next person that jerk has to deal with.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM

741 posts, read 909,233 times
Quote:
This story is either a gross exaggeration or the OP has anger problems that need to be addressed and should not be working in a professional environment.
You are naive.

Those kinds of people very much exist and the OP was perfectly within his normal human rights to get very angry. I would've probably hit him and yes, I realize by the standards of passive weaklings that is considered 'aggression issues' but then again in my business, passive weaklings don't last very long.

Of course, there are always counter-possibilities. Its possible that 'shut up' guy made a HORRIBLE snap judgement about the nature of his rapport with the interviewee and communicated in that distinctly informal, salty way usually reserved for people who have been working with each other forever and have an understanding, but again, that was his error.

My own communication style with my people is pretty bawdy but I would never take that tack with a interviewee. I most definitely will clarify certain things about our office culture, our 3rd tier interviews with candidates are video recorded where certain things about the office working environment are made clear and if for whatever reason they express hesitancy, they're advised to seek other options, but no.

Telling someone to 'shut up' in a Round 1 interview is totally hackish and I for one hope the OP outs them,

Old 11-26-2014, 12:34 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,713,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Respect is earned and if they don't treat you with respect they have to be educated in how to behave and the OP did the right thing. Sitting there, smiling, nodding and taking it, zero good would have come out of it for anyone.
There is much wiggle room between the OP's reaction and smiling, nodding and taking it. I've no issue with him ending the interview, or even being frank as to why. I'd have at least heard out the interviewer's explanation for his behavior but even absent that there were much more professional and appropriate ways to handle it. I stand by my assessment of either exaggeration or severe anger issues and I suspect most here who are applauding his approach would have thought better of it and reacted differently if faced with the situation in reality instead of the hypothetical.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,264,163 times
Quote:
There is much wiggle room between the OP's reaction and smiling, nodding and taking it. I've no issue with him ending the interview, or even being frank as to why. I'd have at least heard out the interviewer's explanation for his behavior but even absent that there were much more professional and appropriate ways to handle it. I stand by my assessment of either exaggeration or severe anger issues and I suspect most here who are applauding his approach would have thought better of it and reacted differently if faced with the situation in reality instead of the hypothetical.
While his story telling abilities might not be up to the standards in forums as others, it's clear from the OP's posting they were rude to him and he let them know it. That's good enough to get the idea of the situation.

We weren't there and if you want to claim the whole story is fiction, that's your opinion, but everyone who posts in a forum is telling their story from their point of view. None of us were there, we don't know how the whole thing looked or what kind of job it was. It might have been a horrible place to work doing telemarketing selling real estate scams or trying to rip-off senior citizen's of their life savings. Maybe if we were there, we would have told the OP not to even apply for that company because it was going to be a bad situation.

The interview's explanation won't change the fact he was rude. Bullies like this always have a reason for their behavior. There is no explanation that makes that a respectful way to treat a guest that comes into your business who takes time out of their day to interview with you. So if their interviewer said, "I told you to shut up, because I didn't want to hear anymore about the courses, and wanted to move on to others things", what would you do with that information? Sit there and have a pointless argument with someone who doesn't understand simple business interviewing etiquette? Or tell them they need to change their behavior if you are going to work there? Then the second day on the job, he tells you to "shut up" in a meeting again.

That's the whole point of the interview to look the other party over and see how they behave and answer your questions. The interviewer failed here and he realized it which is why he chased after him.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 AM

41 posts, read 51,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Unfortunately this is the bleak future of the United States workplace environment in that you have to prostitute yourself tolerating humiliating demeaning abuse just to survive. The past is becoming the future. Not really a surprise for a nation where lifelong slave labor was such an important part of the economy that half of the nation took up arms and formed an insurrection against the Federal government in which they were willing to die in mass numbers defending their states rights keep such an abominable system legal.
When the economy collapses and Obama is kicked out, whoever becomes president should give a rebuke of current businesses like FDR did in addressing the US business climate after the stock market crash. This should be done on live tv and go on for a while, making all of these bad companies and employees so uncomfortable they blush and find an excuse to walk out of the room during the broadcast. Pull no punches and linger on the point for 5-10 minutes.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,686,029 times
What we have not heard, is what the OP was saying or doing, that prompted the interviewer to say, "Shut Up". He/she could have been going on and on about something that was not needed and couldn't stop talking, or was talking about forbidden topics, etc.

I have seen times, that when I was interviewing someone, that it was all I could do to keep from saying Shut Up.

The OP starting cussing when told to shut up, shows someone that gets angry easily, and weakens their argument that the interviewer was wrong in what they did. The OP shows an anger problem, doing what they did.

Remember that interviewers have to listen to one person after another, that will not just answer questions and not go on and on, to the point they just want the person being interviewed to shut up.

Everyone is assuming the interviewer is always in the wrong, and they cannot accept the fact that many people are such bad at being interviewed, and believe that the interviewer is in the wrong no matter what.

To really understand what happened and why it happened we would have had to be there, or at least heard both sides of the situation, not just one side that is looking for sympathy for what they did, or for how they felt they were treated.

We seen posts where people complain they had been to 25, 50 and as many as 100 interviews without getting one job offer. As very few applicants are called for interviews, and only what appear to be truly qualified applicants are given interviews, you have to consider on paper, these called for an interview were qualified for being hired if they pass the interview. If someone is going to interview after interview with no offer, it says one thing.........The applicant is turning off interviewers with.....Their attitude.....Their refusal to answer questions.....Their refusal to take a test ......Their general ability to make the interviewer believe they would be able to do the job they are being interviewed for.....Their personality and their convincing the interviewer they would fit in with the existing team.....They are there to interview the interviewer and not there to show the interviewer that they are the best person for the job.....And last but not least, show the interviewer that what they showed on the application for abilities that got them the interview, did not hold up when in an actual interview.

Companies have over the years, learned that there are a lot of people that will not fit into their organization for one reason or another. When someone being interviewed turns off the interviewer to the point they hold up their hand and say, "Shut UP", it is a sign that person was going beyond the norm and drove the interviewer to reach this reaction.

As I just said, from being in management most of my working life, and having hired a lot of people, I can say without any reservation what I was taught in learning to interview people, that anyone who has been to a lot of interviews without getting a job, is the one at fault they are being rejected. If they were as good a candidate as they think they are, they would have been offered a job.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,602,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What we have not heard, is what the OP was saying or doing, that prompted the interviewer to say, "Shut Up". He/she could have been going on and on about something that was not needed and couldn't stop talking, or was talking about forbidden topics, etc.

I have seen times, that when I was interviewing someone, that it was all I could do to keep from saying Shut Up.

The OP starting cussing when told to shut up, shows someone that gets angry easily, and weakens their argument that the interviewer was wrong in what they did. The OP shows an anger problem, doing what they did.

Remember that interviewers have to listen to one person after another, that will not just answer questions and not go on and on, to the point they just want the person being interviewed to shut up.

Everyone is assuming the interviewer is always in the wrong, and they cannot accept the fact that many people are such bad at being interviewed, and believe that the interviewer is in the wrong no matter what.

To really understand what happened and why it happened we would have had to be there, or at least heard both sides of the situation, not just one side that is looking for sympathy for what they did, or for how they felt they were treated.

We seen posts where people complain they had been to 25, 50 and as many as 100 interviews without getting one job offer. As very few applicants are called for interviews, and only what appear to be truly qualified applicants are given interviews, you have to consider on paper, these called for an interview were qualified for being hired if they pass the interview. If someone is going to interview after interview with no offer, it says one thing.........The applicant is turning off interviewers with.....Their attitude.....Their refusal to answer questions.....Their refusal to take a test ......Their general ability to make the interviewer believe they would be able to do the job they are being interviewed for.....Their personality and their convincing the interviewer they would fit in with the existing team.....They are there to interview the interviewer and not there to show the interviewer that they are the best person for the job.....And last but not least, show the interviewer that what they showed on the application for abilities that got them the interview, did not hold up when in an actual interview.

Companies have over the years, learned that there are a lot of people that will not fit into their organization for one reason or another. When someone being interviewed turns off the interviewer to the point they hold up their hand and say, "Shut UP", it is a sign that person was going beyond the norm and drove the interviewer to reach this reaction.

As I just said, from being in management most of my working life, and having hired a lot of people, I can say without any reservation what I was taught in learning to interview people, that anyone who has been to a lot of interviews without getting a job, is the one at fault they are being rejected. If they were as good a candidate as they think they are, they would have been offered a job.

This is 100% correct. On the nose.

Whose to say the OP isn't extremely long winded when asked a question to the point that the hiring manager can't listen any longer? It happens. The HM handled this completely wrong if that were the case, but by no means does it justify the OP lashing out at the HM and cursing him out.

And to the OP who said there is no network between managers in different companies, think again. It was not uncommon for managers in competing companies within the same industry to call me for a reference on one of my old employees.

While there is no back room poker game on Thursdays, we do communicate. If I had a bad employee and one of the managers called I would be honest and answer quickly, "not eligible for re-hire" and leave it at that. This is all the companies need to hear and we do value each other's opinions. I have also called these same companies for reference and have been told the same thing. That resume' went directly to the trash.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:31 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,992,051 times
While I may not have cursed out the interviewer, I'm sure I would have left. What a jerk. I'd probably have said "excuse me, did you just tell me to shut up? I don't work with people who try to belittle their coworkers or subordinates" then I'd have gotten up and left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search