Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:20 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Yesterday I had an interview for an assistant project manager position. I was answering a question asked by the interviewer when all of a sudden he put his right hand up like he was giving a 'stop' gesture and said SHUT UP. After that there was a long pause. The HR girl next to him turned to him with a stunned look and then she turned to look at me. The interviewer was looking straight into my eyes with a very deep look. VERY, VERY weird. I got up from my chair and told him and his company to F off.

As I opened the door to get the hell out I noticed employees scrambling out of their offices and into the hallway wondering what was going on. As I made it to my car ready to drive away out came the interviewer running towards me and yelling for me to wait with his arms flinging all around. I drove towards him, stopped and rolled down my window. He started apologizing with a real cracked voice. I told him to F off and I also told him that he was the worst interview I've ever had. He kept apologizing and kept saying 'I like you, I like you.' I told him I would never work for a *hit company and a *hit employee like him. I told him to shred my resume as I was driving away. The last thing I heard him say was "are you serious?"

It was so awkward when he told me to shut up. It came out of left field. Honestly, when I got up from the chair I wanted to bash his head through the computer screen behind him. How can people like this degenerate have employment? How can he treat someone like this in an interview of all places? Hopefully the HR girl notifies someone about this but I doubt it. It's water under the bridge now.

-Cheers.
Wow.

We'll don't be surprised if an offer letter comes in the mail, with an attachment that says "Your PIP will start on your first day of employment and you have 3 months to meet or exceed the following items or you will be terminated...".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Is putting somebody on ignore the same thing as telling them to shut up? Its good to know you can afford to walk away from a job.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:22 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,159 times
The thing is there were other people in the room, so he humiliated you in front of others. Think about that. He has a sadistic side. He probably does this scheit all the time to people at work. After the "shut up" and the "hand" why didn't you just rail on him right there? I would have just said "Wtf is wrong with you, son....why do you have to embarrass people like that...you get off on this cheit?

Old 11-21-2014, 03:23 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Granted the interviewer was unprofessional and acting odd but the OP definitely has some anger issues. Why would you get so worked up about someone you barely know? I think employers should use this tactic to screen out employees who may go postal one day.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:25 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,159 times
I think candidates use this tactic to screen out interviewers who may go postal one day when they are your supervisor or boss. Humiliating and being mean to people looking for work only screen you out, not the person looking for work. It's cruel.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:46 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I think candidates use this tactic to screen out interviewers who may go postal one day when they are your supervisor or boss. Humiliating and being mean to people looking for work only screen you out, not the person looking for work. It's cruel.
What makes them think they won't go postal right there in the interview? Very bad idea.

I knew an owner of a small company who suggested he use some ploy like this during the interview to see if an employee could work well under pressure. I told him it was a very bad idea.

Anyone with an ounce of self-respect won't go work at a company after being "punked" by some corporate idiot.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:50 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
He probably thought it was a "cool" way to see if he could humiliate you, and if you could take it. Probably works on those who are desperate for a job. Not so much on someone who has one already.

It sounds like a BS power trip. Kinda funny it back fired. Not so funny that with many folks it wouldn't.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:04 PM

245 posts, read 382,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
The question I was answering when he yelled at me to shut up pertained to a school course I took which was on listed on my resume. He wanted to know what the course taught- what it was about. As I was on the third point of the course is when he got upset. Very weird.
so what was the course, anger management 101? I don't think I've ever gotten yelled at while in an job interview. You did the right thing and got out of there, you don't want to be working for someone like him.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:35 PM

303 posts, read 396,330 times
That escalated entirely too quickly... everybody from the office was paying attention to ya'll? Then he *chased* you out into the parking lot because he appreciates your unique combination of talent and moxy so much? I'm sorry, this is a dream sequence.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
And they lived happily ever after.

OP, while I find the story hard to believe, we live in a crazy world, so anything is possible. If this happened, I do hope you added your experience on Glassdoor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search