Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:28 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Even if found out years later? So if someone had only 3 months gap on their resume when it was really 6, 2-3 years later they find this out they will fire the employee "for cause"? Seriously? What company is this?
I believe all that would be confirmed before you became official at the new job which is the purpose of the background. Once you get your company id and password then you don't have to worry about that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 01:35 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
I don't understand, I thought software developers didn't have to fudge dates because freelance and consulting stints between employers are so common.
They are. That's all the OP has to put on the resume.

People get far too much into defending their actions when an employer doesn't really care about them. You left the job and it was a layoff. t's going to sound negative no matter how it's explained, so it's better to focus on the skills you have to bring to this new job. Unless the company was being relocated to another state you didn't want to live, I wouldn't waste any more time talking about it and use the time to impress the hiring manager about yourself.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:38 AM
FBJ

Quote:
They are. That's all the OP has to put on the resume.

People get far too much into defending their actions when an employer doesn't really care about them. You left the job and it was a layoff. t's going to sound negative no matter how it's explained, so it's better to focus on the skills you have to bring to this new job. Unless the company was being relocated to another state you didn't want to live, I wouldn't waste any more time talking about it and use the time to impress the hiring manager about yourself.
A few years ago I put Job Ended as for Reason leaving the last employer and they never made a big deal about it

Old 11-29-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
well I know for me that when I was laid off I didn't start job searching right away because I had to get over the initial shock of losing my job which took a month. It had to sink in first that I was no longer working so I couldn't just come home and start applying for jobs right away

Now I think if I was laid off now I would not have a choice because you only get 6 months which means you can't afford to waste a month
That's understandable for some situations. Often people were working without taking vacations only to he fired or downsized, so it's their time anyway. I personally don't think it's anyone's business how long the gaps on the resume were. After all, what if after you lost that job you decided to spend the next 3 months working on your novel and then start seriously looking for a job. What if you had an elderly relative you wanted to move in with and take care of for several months. Why should someone else sit in judgement of how you decided to spend your time between jobs. I mean, why is that anyone else's business. The thing is, people are going to have a 40+ year work history, what freaking difference does it make if you didn't work 2-3 times for a very months here and there.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
A few years ago I put Job Ended as for Reason leaving the last employer and they never made a big deal about it

Yes, HR and the hiring manager's office is not a place to confess your perceived sins.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:55 AM
FBJ

Quote:
That's understandable for some situations. Often people were working without taking vacations only to he fired or downsized, so it's their time anyway. I personally don't think it's anyone's business how long the gaps on the resume were. After all, what if after you lost that job you decided to spend the next 3 months working on your novel and then start seriously looking for a job. What if you had an elderly relative you wanted to move in with and take care of for several months. Why should someone else sit in judgement of how you decided to spend your time between jobs. I mean, why is that anyone else's business. The thing is, people are going to have a 40+ year work history, what freaking difference does it make if you didn't work 2-3 times for a very months here and there.
I agree, especially if you are quality for the job that is being advertised

Old 11-29-2014, 04:04 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:

Old 11-29-2014, 05:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Lying is an excellent way to start off any relationship.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Lying is an excellent way to start off any relationship.
If you claim you can do a job and can't that's a lie regardless if you have a spotless work record or not. It's just a job, and a lot of information is private or should be, and if someone who has to put food on the table and has to say something that isn't truthful to protect their privacy they have no other choice. Employers demand and have access to information about you that you wouldn't tell close friends or some members of your own family, so why does the level of becoming an employer entitle them to treat you like a little child with no privacy. Then to sit in judgement to define you because of things that are out of your control and simply none of their business.

Tell them whatever makes them happy, if you can't do the job, it will become obvious immediately to everyone.

And this isn't a relationship you are forming, it's a business not a person.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
One of the few things a past employer can say about a former employee is that you were employed with them and give the dates...and since you have such a short job history and they WERE your last employer it seems pretty likely that they would check. THen you'd be in a whole world of hurt - don't lie! If you get an interview you can explain then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
View detailed profiles of: