Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 09:11 PM

256 posts, read 842,086 times

Advertisements

I have been fairly successful in my life so far. 27, graduated college, own a condo. Job sounds pretty good on paper and I intend on sticking with it for a career.

I do think there is a good amount of potential upward mobility at my current company. Got hired at $37,500 three years ago. Make approximately $45,000 now (including $2500 or so in bonus money). I got promoted once during that period.

My 401k had a 3 year lockup where if I were to leave the company, none of my 401k matching money would have been vested. The lockup period recently ended. It would have been about an $8000 hit if I left prior to now. My thought has always been to find a new job once I had 3 years with the company, as I have felt underpaid for a while now and I feel as if 3 years is sufficient for it to be a solid piece of my resume for years to come.

Relatives were asking me about work at Thanksgiving today and I mentioned I am going to be looking for a new job after the holidays. I got the impression that they did not think this was a good idea.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 09:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
What made your relatives not think it's a good idea? After three years if you are feeling ready for a new challenge, I say go for it.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:26 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Sounds like a good start for you. Moving to a new company/field doesn't sound terrible. Your retirement is vested and your not making so much you cannot find more. That said, be sure your career move is a positive and not just move for the sake of changing scenery.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
I have been fairly successful in my life so far. 27, graduated college, own a condo. Job sounds pretty good on paper and I intend on sticking with it for a career.

I do think there is a good amount of potential upward mobility at my current company. Got hired at $37,500 three years ago. Make approximately $45,000 now (including $2500 or so in bonus money). I got promoted once during that period.

My 401k had a 3 year lockup where if I were to leave the company, none of my 401k matching money would have been vested. The lockup period recently ended. It would have been about an $8000 hit if I left prior to now. My thought has always been to find a new job once I had 3 years with the company, as I have felt underpaid for a while now and I feel as if 3 years is sufficient for it to be a solid piece of my resume for years to come.

Relatives were asking me about work at Thanksgiving today and I mentioned I am going to be looking for a new job after the holidays. I got the impression that they did not think this was a good idea.

What do you think?
Can't hurt to look. Don't get discouraged if you put your resume out in December and don't get many bites, though; this is not a great time of year to look for work. Things usually pick up in Q1. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2014, 08:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
It's a generational thing, so if your relatives are older, that might explain it.

My generation figured 3 - 5 years in a first job was good. Your generation tends to stay 1 year - 18 months in first jobs. At three years, you've already met the expectations of my generation and exceeded the expectations of yours.

Do what is best for you. If it's time to move on, then do that. And if you're unsure, interviewing with other companies may answer that question for you.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
I'm not sure what your industry is and what your competitors pay for your work, but I would start by having a conversation with your employer about your salary. If they do not budge then I would start looking. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,749,491 times
If you can find a better paying job that makes sense than you make a move, but do not make a move just to make a move, which is probably what your family is concerned about. I do not under the whole thought process of this generation that you have to change jobs every year or two, if you are happy with where you are at, and there are opportunities to learn more and advance do not get in a big hurry to find something else as the grass is not always greener.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:27 AM

836 posts, read 1,032,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Can't hurt to look. Don't get discouraged if you put your resume out in December and don't get many bites, though; this is not a great time of year to look for work. Things usually pick up in Q1. Good luck!
This is true. I started job hunting and the recruiter was nice enough to call me and give me a phone interview but told me up front that they are out of budget for the year with it being Q4 and all so the hiring wouldn't be until early 2015. Luckily, that's when I'm looking to start the new job anyway.

At least you currently have a job, while you are looking. That is a plus.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,477 times
Is your only complaint with this job the feeling that you are underpaid?

It never hurts to be looking around (so long as you play that close to the vest), but bear in mind that the higher paying position which sounds great may be a horrible place to work. That is mostly what has kept me in my current job for so long, it is a very good fit for my personality, so the pay becomes secondary.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:46 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
i been thinking about looking for a new job almost the day i started where i'm at now. Its been 31 years so far. I guess the grass always greener on the other side. company not bad, every company has the sane diffulcut people. i guess its the grass being greener deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search