Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 5,567 times

Advertisements

I am currently hiring people for the survey crew at my company - general, unskilled labor with a very high turn-over rate. I get TONS of applicants, but maybe 1 out of every 10 can actually meet our employment criteria. My company requires a background check, an MVR check, and a drug test. Most of the time, we need someone immediately and therefore we will run all these at once. Inevitably, the background or MVR will come back with something adverse, making the drug test we sent them for a complete waste of money. Unfortunately, the need it usually so urgent that we don't really have a choice.

Could I weed out more applicants if I was explicit in the job description about what makes you ineligible for hire at my company? For example, is it legal to say "Any drug-related offense on your criminal history will make you ineligible fire hire" or "Multiple speeding tickets will make you ineligible to drive a company vehicle"? I don't understand why these people waste my time and theirs when they know something is going to come back!! Is it just that they don't think it is that big of a deal? Do I need to specifically explain how strict our criteria is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
As long as you are not excluding protected groups nor unreasonably people with disabilities you can put whatever must haves in your job requisition you'd like

Must have good driving record (no more than 1 ticket in the last X years)
Must pass drug and criminal background check

all reasonable things to put down and not really strict at all. Pretty typical actually.

I'm surprised you are getting that many druggies and wreck-less drivers.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseabell View Post
Could I weed out more applicants if I was explicit in the job description...
Yes. And you SHOULD be.

The standard is YOUR standard even an absurd one is allowable if it is applied equally.
You have to treat all applicants consistently and equally.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Haha, not too many druggies! Or at least ones that are smart enough to lay off when they are job-hunting. The MVR and background check are the biggest issues - they want to say nothing is going to come up and then they have a felony from the last couple of years! This is my first position having to do with hiring and apparently I am extremely naive - I just expect people not to lie to my face about these things when they know the truth is unavoidable.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:57 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
I am currently hiring people for the survey crew at my company - general, unskilled labor with a very high turn-over rate. I get TONS of applicants, but maybe 1 out of every 10 can actually meet our employment criteria. My company requires a background check, an MVR check, and a drug test. Most of the time, we need someone immediately and therefore we will run all these at once.
I realize this isn't what you asked, but is it possible that giving people raises or something would stop the turnover and thus cut you overall labor costs despite the higher wages?

Old 12-03-2014, 07:00 PM

Of course! But that is a decision I have no part in. I am not management and I have only been at the company for a little over a month so I don't have enough cred to overstep my bounds by suggesting it.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:31 PM

128 posts, read 201,730 times
why not, i have seen "drug testing maybe implemented when hired"
but you cant post if you have drug relate crime you cant apply, thats EEO issue, since all people must be considered equally regardless of their personal pasts.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
You can list all the qualifications you want, but in my experience hiring for the same types of positions in manufacturing, people will apply anyway. It can be very frustrating. And believe me, money is not the reason for the turnover. Sometimes people just stop showing up.

Lots of people think they can explain away their past issues if they can just get face to face.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Job requires:

Clean driving record
Clean criminal background

Question: for a job that is unskilled is it really necessary to weed people out due to past criminal convictions? I can see having a valid driving license, and generally clean record.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
I am currently hiring people for the survey crew at my company - general, unskilled labor with a very high turn-over rate. I get TONS of applicants, but maybe 1 out of every 10 can actually meet our employment criteria. My company requires a background check, an MVR check, and a drug test. Most of the time, we need someone immediately and therefore we will run all these at once. Inevitably, the background or MVR will come back with something adverse, making the drug test we sent them for a complete waste of money. Unfortunately, the need it usually so urgent that we don't really have a choice.

Could I weed out more applicants if I was explicit in the job description about what makes you ineligible for hire at my company? For example, is it legal to say "Any drug-related offense on your criminal history will make you ineligible fire hire" or "Multiple speeding tickets will make you ineligible to drive a company vehicle"? I don't understand why these people waste my time and theirs when they know something is going to come back!! Is it just that they don't think it is that big of a deal? Do I need to specifically explain how strict our criteria is?

Yes you could be more specific, but look at this way, it keeps you busy and employed.

All you have to say is clean driving record and pass a drug test, that will cut down on the number who don't qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search