Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 03:03 AM

6 posts, read 45,835 times

Advertisements

ok so I've just submitted my BC to rehire Friday night and after talking with some people I know, I've realized I've put bad info on my BC that could prevent me from getting the job. I don't know why the heck I put my 1st job on there which was me helping out at a relatives restaurant get paid by hand. Ive been on my current job for a year and my past one for 6. I've only had those 3 jobs with no gaps or unemployment. So basically I've heard that if you have multiple jobs on your BC that they only check the last 5 years of employment. Has anyone ever been through anything like this? Does anyone know if they just check the 5 years only? It isn't Monday yet so I was wondering if its even possible to cancel it so that I can edit it or something. Everything is legit on the BC no criminal history, school, etc is good. I just put a irrelevant job on there way before was working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 08:10 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalking View Post
I don't know why the heck I put my 1st job on there which was me helping out at a relatives restaurant get paid by hand...............I just put a irrelevant job on there way before was working.
well, you didn't put an "irrelevant" job on there. You put an illegal job on there. If it was just irrelevant, you wouldn't be concerned.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:05 AM

531 posts, read 1,177,119 times
I am going through background check for my new job as well and they asked for 7 years of work history (I am in California).

If they need for proof of employment (such as W2/ pay stub), I guess you can explain to them that you are just helping our a relative and it is unpaid?

I am not too sure about cancelling a background check once submitted. This action might raise red flag.

Last edited by MrsBunny; 12-07-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 09:11 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
HireRight is a really cool company and I truly appreciate the way they work. They will verify every place you have listed. They have contact information for most companies. But small companies they will have to get the information from State records. If they cannot, they will ask you for the phone number. If they cannot verify your work there over the phone, they will ask you to submit documentation. Since you have none, you are pretty much stuck.

However, HireRight does not pass or fail you. They simply determine what can be verified and what cannot and pass the results to the employer. The employer might have follow up questions for any discrepancies.

The beauty of HireRight is that you only have to go through this once. They cache the results for use in the future. You'll never have to go through the trouble of supplying them with documentation again (except for you most recent position).

Old 12-07-2014, 09:26 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
I think you are in good shape. There is little to worry about. A real problem would be an outright lie or complete invention, ie... putting down you worked somewhere for three years to cover the fact you were in jail.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I think you are in good shape. There is little to worry about. A real problem would be an outright lie or complete invention, ie... putting down you worked somewhere for three years to cover the fact you were in jail.
yea that's the only problem with the a
BC. Is there anything I can do? Or should do?

Old 12-07-2014, 03:40 PM

should I contact my recruiter 1st Monday and tell her about the job? I can give a phone number and a person to talk to but that's it. Plus the experience from that job has nothing to do with the original job offer or anything like that. I know for a 100% fact that everything will come back good except for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search