Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times

Advertisements

OP, bring more than 2 or 3 copies of your resume. Bring a bunch just in case. And put it on some nice paper too. No need to bring a cover letter, or the cover letter. I guess you can bring some just in case too but I can’t see anyone having any use for it in the interview. And it can only serve to hurt afterwards, not help. A cover letter is to get you into an interview, not to get you the job. It has already accomplished its task.

And your resume should state something like "References available upon request" at the bottom of your resume, no need to include them with an application or resume before they are needed. Again, you can bring a copy of references if you like but not having it immediately available is perfectly fine. If asked on the interview (they are highly unlikely to ask you to produce a copy right there and then) I would tell them that of course, you’d be happy to email it to them. My experience has been that people expect 2-3 references. If it’s 3 they will sometimes allow a personal reference. Again, if/when asked, you can ask them what type of references they are looking for...if a personal one is OK.

Know this, reference checks come at the end, when you have been chosen as 'the one". They are not used as a tool to see if yours are better than the others. We all want to have CEO of the Universe as a reference but the truth is that it matters little who they are. As long as the reference doesn’t say you’re a complete dope, it’s fine. Brevity is safer than a reference who intends to shower them with how fantastic you are. Something like “yes, I’ve worked with Santas-reindeer in the capacity of xxx. He’s great - smart, insightful, has a lot to offer, and I enjoyed working with him and think he’ll make a great contribution.” But let your intended reference know that you are listing him/her so they aren’t surprised and have an opportunity to say no if they choose to not be a reference.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:27 AM

22 posts, read 30,080 times
ok thank you for your replies and advice

i had my interview. unfortunately i don't remember any of the interviewer's names considering i was a little nervous and too focused on answering properly. No resume or references was asked of me, i just kept the documents with me.

after the interview they just said thank you and I was walked out and that was it. Did I make any crucial mistakes here? How do I follow up (phone call? email?) if I dont know their names, I may be able to look up there names based on there position but im not sure. I'm sure they have others to interview but I definitely should receive something in the mail whether i was accepted or denied right?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Was there a person from HR that brought you in? You could follow up with them, say you want to verify the correct spelling and email addresses for the people you talked to.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Nobody knows if you made any crucial mistakes. However, crucial is a strong word. If you did, you would likely know about anything that was crucial.

Follow up with a thank you email first. You should have asked for business cards. Do that next time. Maybe call HR and get their info - you can tell them you want to send a thank you note.

No, you won't definitely receive anything from them. You may, but it's not definite. It's an anxiety provoking experience. Try not to let it rattle you too much. Take what you learned from it and keep searching, try to keep your mind off of it.

Best of luck

Old 12-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Was there a person from HR that brought you in? You could follow up with them, say you want to verify the correct spelling and email addresses for the people you talked to.
Well I don't remember there names at all so I'm not sure if verify is the right word but something like "May I get the names and e-mails of the individuals interviewing me?" - sound good? And should i email all 3 of the interviewers? I dont think a member of HR was involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Nobody knows if you made any crucial mistakes. However, crucial is a strong word. If you did, you would likely know about anything that was crucial.

Follow up with a thank you email first. You should have asked for business cards. Do that next time. Maybe call HR and get their info - you can tell them you want to send a thank you note.

No, you won't definitely receive anything from them. You may, but it's not definite. It's an anxiety provoking experience. Try not to let it rattle you too much. Take what you learned from it and keep searching, try to keep your mind off of it.

Best of luck
Got it thanks

Last edited by santas-reindeer; 12-08-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 10:57 AM

Another few things: It's perfectly ok to ask about a timeline for hiring at the interview. If they would have said they plan to make a decision within the next couple of weeks, you can then follow up with a call in 2 weeks (if you haven't heard anything) and reference what they said to find out the status.

Moreover, if you have the hiring mgrs phone #, you can follow up with a call in 2 weeks anyway. As long as you don't pester them, it's OK. A simple cal to find out the status and "check in" won't look bad or eliminate you. If you get voicemail, leave a message. If you hear nothing in a week, call again. If you get voicemail, leave a message. If you hear nothing back again, let it go. When/if you call, say something about you continued interest and that you felt lk eit was a great fit and other nice stuff. You know, butter 'em up a little.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:02 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santas-reindeer View Post
ok thank you for your replies and advice

i had my interview. unfortunately i don't remember any of the interviewer's names considering i was a little nervous and too focused on answering properly. No resume or references was asked of me, i just kept the documents with me.

after the interview they just said thank you and I was walked out and that was it. Did I make any crucial mistakes here? How do I follow up (phone call? email?) if I dont know their names, I may be able to look up there names based on there position but im not sure. I'm sure they have others to interview but I definitely should receive something in the mail whether i was accepted or denied right?
Bridge has been crossed, but something to consider for next time:

One, every interviewer should have given you a business card or other identifier. I try to do this, though business cards are rapidly becoming passe.

Paper resume and an "application" and "cover letter". Wow. Wasn't sure such fare still existed. I do remember printing some of that garbage out until c. 2010, though. Once or twice I handed my then-iPad to clients and similar, if they asked. That all mostly went away by the following year at least @the tech clients I dealt with.

These days, that's what tablets are for, they've reached that magic point whereby a generation or two back are now affordable to working people. Interesting to see iPad 2 from 2011 are now about $150 used. State-of-the-art Xperia Z tablet from mid-2013 (Android) now down to $330, wow.

Yes, arriving with a list of references ready to be emailed is a great idea. Good thing to keep fresh, and who to put on it is a bit of a challenge in OP's case.

I appreciate that our Admin has zero paper on her desk, just visiting with her a minute ago. I'd be a bit concerned about a company that deals with paper-anything at the interview process. What's in store on the job? Want to differentiate yourself as a savvy candidate?

I quit walking into client offices with anything but my Samsung Note 3 phone (w/EverNote and handwriting recognition), for quick notes, about a year ago. We live in good times.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Since you have already had your interview, the question of resumes and references many be somewhat moot here. However, for future reference, potential employees often make too big of a deal about their paperwork ... and don't focus enough on their past accomplishments and what they believe they can offer the company. That's what interviewers really want to know about.

Resumes are primarily used by HR people to narrow-down the field, by disqualifying those who don't have the desired credentials. But, actual hiring is typically based more on a personal perception of how the applicant will fit-in with the company and other employees. References are meaningless until one gets through the interview stage, except as an assessment of they type of people one might choose for references (ie; friends vs professional contacts).

One other note: 'Social networking' is rapidly becoming a major discriminator with many employers. Some applicants may present themselves on paper (resume) as polished and excellent ... but, present a far different image on Facebook. Employers ARE looking!

Old 12-08-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Since you have already had your interview, the question of resumes and references many be somewhat moot here. However, for future reference, potential employees often make too big of a deal about their paperwork ... and don't focus enough on their past accomplishments and what they believe they can offer the company. That's what interviewers really want to know about.

Resumes are primarily used by HR people to narrow-down the field, by disqualifying those who don't have the desired credentials. But, actual hiring is typically based more on a personal perception of how the applicant will fit-in with the company and other employees. References are meaningless until one gets through the interview stage, except as an assessment of they type of people one might choose for references (ie; friends vs professional contacts).

One other note: 'Social networking' is rapidly becoming a major discriminator with many employers. Some applicants may present themselves on paper (resume) as polished and excellent ... but, present a far different image on Facebook. Employers ARE looking!
well I have no facebook or social media open. closed them.

I need to ask if I don't have past qualifications for an office job how difficult is it to get my foot in the door? I work in retail currently and pay is obviously not great, but i have had skills in microsoft excel (basic) because of school. I like to say im a pretty bright guy, keep things organized in life. My major is not in the finance sector either. Thats why I have trouble sometimes relating my experience with the office job I may be applying for.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I always bring several copies of my resume. I have been caught short handed only bringing three with me, (which is crazy) but it has happened.

I also bring a list of references to provide upon request. . This has been asked of me approximately 70% of the time during interviews. One is not enough. You need at least three references, they do not have to be from your current job. They can be from previous employers (your odd jobs), coworkers and a personal reference.

I would be interested to hear from others about bringing your cover letter. That seems odd to me, I have never heard of that practice.

You do not need a 'report cover' with everything included, that screams school not professional.
Agreed on the report cover. Plus they scream tacky. I would also suggest getting a leather portfolio folder where you have a slot for a pen and a legal pad. They are no more than 10.00-15.00 at Walmart.

As for the resume amount, I've only brought two unless specificaly told because I've often had one at tops two interviewers. I've only had one where it truly was more than two unannounced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you sent a cover letter with the initial application, bring a copy of that. You do not need to write a cover letter for an in-person interview. Bring multiple copies of your resume. They will probably have printed copies, but it's nice to have one you can hand over to the person you are talking to if they can't find theirs. They will tell you what they want in terms of references, but it's not bad to have a printed list with you. Chances are high they will want more than one, but they don't all have to be from your current employer. It can be someone from a prior job, or a teacher or professor.
The only thing I may change is location if the interview is in another location, dear hiring manager if you know the name(s) of interviewers, date and start date (if they stated a specific date.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search