Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,012,148 times

Advertisements

I hate that question and I never ever know how to answer that I truly don't and I do believe I got the job once because I told the interviewer I really don't know how to answer that question . I cant lie I really don't know how to I wish I did but I do my best . I mean I have literally broken out in a rash and gotten paniced and sick to my stomach right after an interview has happened .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 03:34 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,800,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I hate that question and I never ever know how to answer that I truly don't and I do believe I got the job once because I told the interviewer I really don't know how to answer that question . I cant lie I really don't know how to I wish I did but I do my best . I mean I have literally broken out in a rash and gotten paniced and sick to my stomach right after an interview has happened .
I really hate that question. I never got it in the interviews I've done in my life I don't think but I am dreading it. When put on the spot, being reserved I will answer questions literally like we're doing a poll with one word answers so I'd imagine I'd panic and say I'm a true Aquarius because that's how I define myself. I don't think they'd want to know that. I'm not looking for a date. I'm looking to make money.
If only interviews were done by email I'd have this crap down.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:50 PM

10,339 posts, read 7,931,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
When put on the spot, being reserved I will answer questions literally like we're doing a poll with one word answers so I'd imagine I'd panic and say I'm a true Aquarius because that's how I define myself. I don't think they'd want to know that.
Actually, that's exactly the answer they want (assuming, of course, that you go on to elaborate on what you mean by "a true Aquarius"). See, the question's not so bad!

Quote:
I'm not looking for a date.
Too bad, because a date is EXACTLY what an interview is. To be specific, it's a blind date, and each side is trying to find out more about the other party and whether this will be a good match if an offer is made. Think about it as a date, and not simply as a 20 questions session or a quiz, and you'll have a better understanding of how to handle the interview process.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 PM

271 posts, read 425,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I hate that opening question! I mean, they have my resume in front of them.

Let them ask the questions and tell me about the damn job!

What do you all think?
I've interviewed a lot of people and by the time it gets to that stage, the resume is almost irrelevant. I want to get to know that person, how they present themselves, and see if they would be a good fit to the rest of the team.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,889,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
I've interviewed a lot of people and by the time it gets to that stage, the resume is almost irrelevant. I want to get to know that person, how they present themselves, and see if they would be a good fit to the rest of the team.
Right, how their personality will fit in with the workplace and other team members not what's on their resume

Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,767,538 times
Personally, I love interviewing. I find it challenging and an opportunity to sell myself. If someone asked me to "Tell them about me" I would start by stating my age and then tell them how long I have been in this industry and what I have done in that time. I know the age question is not asked any more, but I have no problem telling them, nor do I shy away from blowing my own horn about my accomplishments.

It also takes some of the stiffness out of the interview because you can show them you are human, intelligent, and humorous at the same time. It is an opportunity to get on a warmer, more personal level with the interviewer.

Don

Old 12-09-2014, 09:50 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,917,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
It's a good question, you should embrace it and use it as a way to connect and flatter yourself. Personally, I feel it's a nice softball and a good way to allow the candidate to open up about him/herself.
Agreed. Just use that to talk about whatever it is you want to make sure you say about yourself. I think one of the reasons that is asked is to weed out the people not sophisticated enough to realize the interviewer doesn't want to hear about the stamp collection.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Actually, that's exactly the answer they want (assuming, of course, that you go on to elaborate on what you mean by "a true Aquarius"). See, the question's not so bad!

Too bad, because a date is EXACTLY what an interview is. To be specific, it's a blind date, and each side is trying to find out more about the other party and whether this will be a good match if an offer is made. Think about it as a date, and not simply as a 20 questions session or a quiz, and you'll have a better understanding of how to handle the interview process.

Yeah that's what I mean so it is bad. I'm no good at explaining myself anyway and if I explain what I mean by "true Aquarius" it would make me look like a bad candidate.

The problem is it's not a date. If you screw up on a date, you can either find someone else or just not have anyone. It doesn't open any doors for you. It's just so you can have someone to spend time with and I'm a loner anyways so I could give a crap if a random dude likes me or not. If I mess up on an interview though, it is the end of the world. Money is important to survive, more money is important to have a decent life (well some people are okay with being poor it just depends on who you are) At the same time though it means nothing to me if I don't earn it.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,572,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I hate that opening question! I mean, they have my resume in front of them.

Let them ask the questions and tell me about the damn job!

What do you all think?
I personally love this question as the opening question. It tells me the interviewer is willing to let me lead the interview. It also tells me they are open options rather than having their mind focused on a specific skill set.

Trust me, you should embrace it whenever you get this question as the opening question.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I personally love this question as the opening question. It tells me the interviewer is willing to let me lead the interview. It also tells me they are open options rather than having their mind focused on a specific skill set.

Trust me, you should embrace it whenever you get this question as the opening question.
That's exactly what I hate about it. I'm not a leader. I'm better when I have guidelines. Answering an open question requires you to be more sociable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search