Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM

828 posts, read 907,301 times

Advertisements

Would you write, or have you ever, written a proposal to win a job? I've seen it go down like this: You go in for a regular interview. There is mutual interest. The interviewer suggests you write a proposal (whether or not they call it that) with ideas for success in that position, or some other kind of short-term plan.

Would you do this? Or would you pretend like "OK, that was merely a suggestion". What if they actually clearly requested it?

In this scary unemployment climate, I wondered if I should write a proposal the next time I want to make myself stand out for the second interview (or after the second interview, even). But here is what bothers me: Hasn't the employer right then gotten some free consulting? Aren't you as the candidate entitled to some compensation? Where do we draw the line from showing eagerness to trying to win the job over the other top candidates?

Oh, and in case you're wondering. I have done this twice. Once it was requested, and the other it was suggested. I didn't get the job in either case. Both were with very well-known organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:45 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,138 times
How specific of a proposal are we talking about here?

If it's a broad-strokes kind of thing, I would have no qualms whatsoever. In fact, I think it sounds like a great thought exercise for the candidate. (I would tend to discuss it orally rather than requesting a written proposal, but that sounds like a personal or industry style issue.) An example would be something like: Target student populations by ramping up programs in coffee shops near campus."

Or are you describing something much more concrete? À la "Target student populations by partnering with Billy's Coffee on 10th Street. Negotiate a deal whereby Billy's agrees to host programs in exchange for a guaranteed $10 minimum order per participant. Offer key trend-setters among the student population free access to events in exchange for promoting programs on campus. By the end of the 4th quarter of such efforts, revenue is projected to increase by at least 400%."

The second scenario gives them a great idea of the work you are able to produce, but it comes disquietingly close to simply functioning as a pro bono consultant on their behalf. If they are asking for something like the second example, I would do a mental cost-benefit analysis before agreeing. How desirable is the job? How likely are you to encounter the same request as part of the application process from other companies? How long will the proposal take you? How strongly to you need/want a new job? How groundbreaking are your ideas? (I personally would not share something truly revolutionary without a firm offer of employment.)

Old 12-09-2014, 02:56 PM

254 posts, read 458,009 times
I wouldn't unless it was a very high level management or executive position. One, I need time to see their business and what assets and resources they have before I make a serious suggestion. A good idea for one producer of type a widgets is a bad idea for a different maker of type A widgets. Two, I currently work for an employer who pays me for my good ideas. It would bebunethical to share them with other companies.

For a very high level position I would do it but only after lengthy discussion about the company. I might also look into asking the hiring manager to sign an NDA.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:16 PM

795 posts, read 4,536,515 times
I would never provide any kind of plan for free. I have even had to change my cover letters. I work in a creative field and had a potential employer ask me for a social media plan as part of a second interview. I declined the second interview... and then, a couple of weeks later, saw on this company's Facebook page that they were using a concept I introduced in my cover letter. They used that concept for over a year, and needless to say I received no compensation or acknowledgement AND I won't ever be able to use it for another client or company.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:34 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,602 times
If I was a final contender for a position, and after they interviewed me and talked to my references, they asked me to write something, I would, especially if I didnt would make them go with someone else.

If they asked for something like that before the interview, or with the application/resume, then no way. Probably not worth the time unless I was seriously desperate for a position.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,166 times
I love proposals, it shows a certain level of acumen, and it is entirely acceptable in certain industries.

With that being said, you have be careful about two things:

a.) What you consider a proposal, it may come off as a glorified cover letter. In order to counteract that you need to ask as many questions during the interview process, and understand as to the relevant problems that the company is bringing you on to solve.

b.) Timing. Never write a proposal too early in the interview process, and you need to feel very comfortable knowing that this proposal is used ONLY in evaluating you as a candidate, rather than a process in which the company steals your ideas for free.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:52 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,206,866 times
I would rather not give my ideas to a company for free.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 PM

828 posts, read 907,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
I would never provide any kind of plan for free. I have even had to change my cover letters. I work in a creative field and had a potential employer ask me for a social media plan as part of a second interview. I declined the second interview... and then, a couple of weeks later, saw on this company's Facebook page that they were using a concept I introduced in my cover letter. They used that concept for over a year, and needless to say I received no compensation or acknowledgement AND I won't ever be able to use it for another client or company.
Holy christmas ornaments. I would be so itching to confront them

Old 12-11-2014, 09:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I have done what I call "work sample projects" as part of the interview process. I will always present a scenario that presents a fairly common dilemma or problem, and ask them to spend 20 minutes outlining their approach to solve it (on paper). I already know what I would do or have done, or would expect my employees to do, so what they write is not likely to be used as "free work." It's just another measurement tool to help determine the best candidate, and often can expose exaggeration in their interview answers.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:17 PM

795 posts, read 4,536,515 times
Wonderwall -- Oh, to this day it makes me furious. But I have learned from experience (unfortunately) that almost nothing can be done about it. Something similar* happened to me one other time with a different company, and I went nine rounds with that company and lost. I no longer do any "testing" or submittal of plans as part of interviewing. Clients/companies can either hire me or not based on my portfolio and references.

*In that situation, the company wanted me to do an editing test and then the pieces (which were supposed to be test pieces only) went live on their web site. AND THEN we couldn't come to terms on a contract. Insult to injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search