Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:32 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times

Advertisements

When I was a new hire out of school, I asked these questions

1) what do they personally like about working for the company

2) how do they plan to develop their employees? Do they have a long term developmental goal or short-sighted goal for just having an employee fill an immediate need

3) what is their plan for growing this particular office/branch?

If I was moving into a new position now, I would definitely ask how this position came to be open? New position due to work upswing? or someone moved on/got fired/etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:38 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post

I really like the advice about asking a personal question of the interviewer about their experiences as an employee. I will certainly use that in the future.
Thanks.. That works really well for both internal and external positions. It's asking them a personal reflection on the culture of the company instead of just saying "can you describe the culture of your company to me". You then listen to them, ohhhh and awwwww at it, and then give them (basically) a sales pitch on how you would fit in to that.

For an internal one last year (I have that job now, by the way), I asked the person (who has risen up the ranks from a Supervisor to a Director, which is a position really high up the food chain here) about what did he feel made him so successful in the company and what traits did feel to be necessary to be successful in my role.. Again with that, you let them talk about themselves ( a little ego stroking never hurt anyone) and then they also tell you what they feel is needed... You then take that and say how that is great advice, and how you have those traits, expand on that, blah blah.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:40 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Always research the company you are interviewing with and be ready with some questions, that are not insulting, that tells them you have done your homework.

In addition: "What are the qualities of your most valuable employee that has worked in this position?"

Old 12-11-2014, 11:41 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
so what is the "universal" response that employers would like to hear

because even low paying jobs ask the same bs questions

so what is the right response as we arent mind readers and dont know what xyz interviewer for xyz wants to hear

the general inter iew questions are pretty much standard answers but this one is generally more company specific so there has to be a one size fits all response rght?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 AM

399 posts, read 568,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I would ask if it's a newly created position, and if it's not, how long were the previous two or three people doing the job. Why did they leave? What is the turnover like in the department? If it's high, I would have no problem asking if they've identified the reason for it.

Most hiring managers will be honest about these things knowing if they hire you you'll find out anyway, and it may give you an opportunity to see if any red flags arise.
You make it very difficult for me to rep you if you keep making so much sense in these threads. I have to spread it around, but there are so few to spread it to

Old 12-11-2014, 11:56 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
I have to add use common sense with your question. My husband reminded me of a job he did not get because of what he asked. He was interviewing at Dell and he asked what kind of computers they used? As soon as it came out of his mouth he knew he screwed up. tee hee, funny now.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 PM

17,181 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
i have to add use common sense with your question. My husband reminded me of a job he did not get because of what he asked. He was interviewing at dell and he asked what kind of computers they used? As soon as it came out of his mouth he knew he screwed up. Tee hee, funny now.
hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Apparently, it's a good idea to ask about salary, benefits, bonuses, etc. I've heard this from several employers/interviewers.
It shows a genuine interest in a long-term position with the company.
Many are just scared to ask, but from what I hear, it's one of the better questions to ask.
No, no, no. These questions are for HR. The interview with the hiring manager is to understand the position and how you would fit into it, not whether you get 2 or 3 weeks of vacation. I immediately discount any applicant who goes into these questions.

Ask me what my challenges are.

Ask me what the short and long term goals for this position is.

Ask me to clarify anything you heard in the discussion.

Ask me about potential growth in the role.

Ask me what my management style is.

The only logistical question that I am fine with is "Can you share when you might make a decision?"

Old 12-11-2014, 02:35 PM

20 posts, read 36,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
What questions...

What would you say would be my biggest challenge in this position?

What are the goals of this 30, 60, 90 days in?

What are your backgrounds?

If I were to start next week what would day one look like?
I always use the above, plus I usually try to ask a follow-on question about something we touched on earlier in the conversation. Another one is "How does this position fit in with the organization's Mission and Vision?". The response to this and to the "What are the goals of this position in the first 60-90 days on the job" question is usually very enlightening. Either a 'deer in headlights' reaction or a crap answer that shows they have no plan for the position and I'm crossing them off my list of possible employers.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:42 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
It's good to try and make an impression at this point, but remember that the interview process should be as much as you finding out about the company as them finding out about you. Stay away from the typical benefits questions, those can be asked when speaking to an HR person or company recruiter.

It will almost always reflect poorly on the candidate if they do not ask any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search