Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 09:26 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Why don't you understand this? In order to survive and thrive in the US, people need to speak English. If they speak another language, there is nothing wrong with that at all. No one ever said otherwise.
I think what is aggravating to people with this mentality is it is increasingly common that this is in fact not the case at all. If it was, there wouldn't be an increasing amount of positions requesting bilingual applicants.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
I do physics simulations for a living and am not sure what journal would only be in German.

I work for a german company and knowing german is unimportant. All corporate communications are in english.

It might help for picking up women when in Berlin. Not sure yet.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
The only time German and French come in handy for me are when I'm visiting with my family or when I'm in a German or a French-speaking country.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:53 PM

24 posts, read 28,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You know what sucks in this conversation? The FACT that most every country in the world speaks English, those who come to America from Europe speak English, those who come from India speak English, those who come from China speak English yet none of those who come from South America can speak English and force everyone else in America to speak Spanish!!!!

It is highly disrespectful to move to another country and NOT speak its language!
Well said & I completely agree.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:54 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I think what is aggravating to people with this mentality is it is increasingly common that this is in fact not the case at all. If it was, there wouldn't be an increasing amount of positions requesting bilingual applicants.

Ummm...what?

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with the fact that English is the language that binds us all who live in the US?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Nebraska Native View Post
Becoming fluent in Spanish or any other language requires years of study. You don't just wake up one day and say, "Hey guys, I'm learning Spanish this afternoon!" -- and magically become fluent a few hours later. I don't hate Spanish, but I have no ancestral ties to Spain or any Spanish-speaking country. Thus, the language simply does not interest me in the slightest. That's why I, and most other native born Americans, are unwilling to learn that language. I do, however, spend some time each day studying a language that does interest me. So I'm not personally opposed to learning other languages, but I have to feel a connection to a language if I'm going to invest the immense amount of time necessary to master it.
Cool story, bro.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Spanish is pretty easy to learn. I'd even go so far as to say it's one of the easiest languages to learn. It is definitely easier than english. Perhaps that is why it's so widespread. I would bet a person of average intelligence could learn conversational Spanish in under a year, with only an hour of serious practice per day.
Not even close to a year. A friend of mine took a job in an industrial kitchen where most of the workers spoke primarily Spanish. He knew enough to communicate with them within six months. It's not rocket science. Or Welsh.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:32 PM

336 posts, read 441,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Not even close to a year. A friend of mine took a job in an industrial kitchen where most of the workers spoke primarily Spanish. He knew enough to communicate with them within six months. It's not rocket science. Or Welsh.
Exactly! People need to seriously get over themselves. Speaking a foreign language is no different from learning a programming language or any other skill. Either learn the skill so you can have the job, or don't and let other bilingual people have the job. But to me, nothing is more pathetic than people that whine about something that they could have if they would just put the work in, but are too lazy to do so.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post

I work for a german company and knowing german is unimportant. All corporate communications are in english.
Why do you suppose that is? Maybe because German students are taught foreign languages that will help them in their careers and personal lives? For people living in America, Spanish is one such language, and people who want to be successful will find a lot more opportunities to do so if they learn it.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundNinia View Post
Exactly! People need to seriously get over themselves. Speaking a foreign language is no different from learning a programming language or any other skill. Either learn the skill so you can have the job, or don't and let other bilingual people have the job. But to me, nothing is more pathetic than people that whine about something that they could have if they would just put the work in, but are too lazy to do so.
Spanish (which is what this thread about) is really no more of a foreign language than English.

I, agree, however... it's just like any other skill. Be it knowing English, Java, or Legalese. It's reasonable for an employer to want to hire folks with desirable skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search