Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 03:02 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookey123 View Post
Dutygal86? I am hispanic and live in the Orlando metro area too. Do hispanics "stick" together? Of Course! No different than blacks or Polish or Italians do either in the US.
I do find it funny when you talk about a "Cultural" shift though! As in "white" WASP people are no longer in control?
I am half black, half white. I can most certainly let you know that black people DO NOT stick together when it comes to hiring among their own. Leaders in the AA community are always going on and on about how much more black people could accomplish if they were to work together and cease with the in-fighting.

As of the last census the largest minority is Hispanics and my minority (Multi-racial) is the 2nd largest growing one. I predict that by the time I begin drawing social security more than 1/2 of Americans will look racially ambiguous or be Hispanic.

I'm the biggest cheerleader for diversity,- but it's just that DIVERSITY. I don't like being in homogenized environments - ever. I don't want to work anywhere that's 90% Puerto-Rican, Black or White.
I had such negative experiences living in that area that I left. I had an older lady screaming at me in the dollar store that "I needed to learn my language" when I told her I wasn't Hispanic she snorted and said "yeah right."

Last edited by duttygal86; 12-14-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 03:39 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
All you Americans here who just love this "multicultural" idea of learning Spanish to get along, well, you are just hastening your own demise.

You don't even have the courage or guts to speak your own language and demand that others do the same.

So you will be absorbed into Latin America, it's just a matter of time.
I will miss the days when everyone was speaking American.

Oh wait a minute, we speak English. The language of a country on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:01 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I'm saying that while still by far the majority language in the US, it is increasingly being supplanted by other languages, especially Spanish. That is reason for the increase in bilingual job listings. In some other countries having two or three official languages isn't unusual, and it is possible in the future that may be the case here. Already more than 10% of the national population speaks Spanish, and then you have all of the other languages that are spoken here.

So my point is that for all the fuss from certain facets of people in the US about people needing to learn English and how the language "binds us," without any concerted effort the landscape of language in the US is slowly and organically changing. In the future it may not be nearly as much of a binder.

So...you are saying that when immigrants come to this country, it's not sufficient that they learn English, that they should learn several other languages?

You are all for our government printing up official forms in every language known to man? You like the idea of a tower of Babel?

You still don't get it, do you?

So, for your sake I'll repeat this yet again. I had 2 co-workers. One was from Hungary and Hungarian was her first language. The other one was from India and Hindi was her first language. Yet, these women would often have conversations. What language do you think they used to communicate? Swahili? No, it was English.

Puerto Ricans have been US citizens since 1918. Yet, when they moved to the Mainland, they knew that they needed to learn English if they were to survive and thrive. No one gave them signage in Spanish. The only businesses that offered up Spanish were the barrio bodegas and restaurants. Outside the barrios, they needed to know English.

Why should we be catering to Hispanics---both legal and illegal---by giving them Spanish signage, etc? We don't do that for non-Spanish speaking immigrants. How is that fair?

BTW, I'm half-Puerto Rican. Spanish was my father's first language and he will tell you that when you call a business "para Espanol oprime dos" has no place in our society.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:08 PM

336 posts, read 441,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So...you are saying that when immigrants come to this country, it's not sufficient that they learn English, that they should learn several other languages?

You are all for our government printing up official forms in every language known to man? You like the idea of a tower of Babel?

You still don't get it, do you?

So, for your sake I'll repeat this yet again. I had 2 co-workers. One was from Hungary and Hungarian was her first language. The other one was from India and Hindi was her first language. Yet, these women would often have conversations. What language do you think they used to communicate? Swahili? No, it was English.

Puerto Ricans have been US citizens since 1918. Yet, when they moved to the Mainland, they knew that they needed to learn English if they were to survive and thrive. No one gave them signage in Spanish. The only businesses that offered up Spanish were the barrio bodegas and restaurants. Outside the barrios, they needed to know English.

Why should we be catering to Hispanics---both legal and illegal---by giving them Spanish signage, etc? We don't do that for non-Spanish speaking immigrants. How is that fair?
I don't mind the government printing up brochures in different languages and for those that do, they have too much time on their hands. If it bothers you that much that you see "signage" which is a first amendment right to display, then move. I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that I speak spanish and can speak italian, but poorly and I am not going to change myself just because someone has a problem with it.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundNinia View Post
I don't mind the government printing up brochures in different languages and for those that do, they have too much time on their hands. If it bothers you that much that you see "signage" which is a first amendment right to display, then move. I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that I speak spanish and can speak italian, but poorly and I am not going to change myself just because someone has a problem with it.
Then "move"? Seriously?

Sure, people have the right to put up signs in other languages, but why just stop at Spanish? After all, to put things in perspective, in the past ICE has deported people back to 189 different countries. Why not put up signage in each and every one of those languages?

Who has a "problem" with you speaking "spanish" [sic] and "italian" [sic]? You are very defensive.

I have no problems with learning another language. I've studied Spanish, French and German.

As for the government printing up forms in every language known to man---did you ever stop and think how much that will cost the taxpayers?

Did you ever stop to think that by putting up signage in Spanish and having "para Espanol oprime dos", it actually discourages people from learning English? It's funny that you think it's okay with discouraging someone from learning the language that binds us all in this country. Now why is that?

You do realize that not knowing English while living in the US, really limits a person and holds them back, right?

Those who legally come here are well aware that they need to learn English to thrive and survive in this country.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
You do realize that not knowing English while living in the US, really limits a person and holds them back, right?
Do you think the people who move here from Spanish-speaking countries don't know that?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Do you think the people who move here from Spanish-speaking countries don't know that?
Many illegal aliens do NOT know that. In fact, many of them can't even read or write in Spanish so all that Spanish signage is wasted on them. Also, there are those who come here illegally from Central America that don't even know Spanish. Instead they speak obscure Indian languages.

As long as Hispanic illegal aliens (those who speak Spanish) find work environments where they are spoken to in Spanish, and if they need to phone a company and have the option of "oprime dos" they will not be motivated to learn English.

Many of them come here illegally, have kids and send those American-born kids to school not knowing a word of English. On top of that the Spanish they do know is atrocious. Teachers will tell you that these kids will never fully catch up when it comes to education. Sadly, this scenario is common. The parents have been here for years and don't even make an attempt to learn English.

If you would like to volunteer your time to teach them English, there are groups that will take you on.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Many illegal aliens do NOT know that.
Really?? They must be pretty stupid, then. You're claiming that they up and move to a foreign country where the majority of residents speak English, and they have no idea that they might be at a disadvantage?

Quote:
In fact, many of them can't even read or write in Spanish so all that Spanish signage is wasted on them.
Uh huh. Do you have any actual sources for these claims?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 PM

336 posts, read 441,993 times
Quote:
Then "move"? Seriously?

Sure, people have the right to put up signs in other languages, but why just stop at Spanish? After all, to put things in perspective, in the past ICE has deported people back to 189 different countries. Why not put up signage in each and every one of those languages?

Who has a "problem" with you speaking "spanish" [sic] and "italian" [sic]? You are very defensive.

I have no problems with learning another language. I've studied Spanish, French and German.

As for the government printing up forms in every language known to man---did you ever stop and think how much that will cost the taxpayers?

Did you ever stop to think that by putting up signage in Spanish and having "para Espanol oprime dos", it actually discourages people from learning English? It's funny that you think it's okay with discouraging someone from learning the language that binds us all in this country. Now why is that?

Those who legally come here are well aware that they need to learn English to thrive and survive in this country.
Of course I said move! lol, well you talk like a republican with all the "illegal aliens" stuff you throw around so I figured that I would just tell you what conservatives in my area would tell me if I said the same thing. Don't like it? Well move then. You talk about costing tax payers money, hell, we were in two wars I didn't want to be a part of and the budget that was just passed allows for 5 billion to be allocated to fighting the ebola virus (which I also do not agree with) and yet you waste your time worrying about some stupid brochures? Man, get out of here with that stuff lmao.

Quote:
Many illegal aliens do NOT know that. In fact, many of them can't even read or write in Spanish so all that Spanish signage is wasted on them. Also, there are those who come here illegally from Central America that don't even know Spanish. Instead they speak obscure Indian languages.

As long as Hispanic illegal aliens (those who speak Spanish) find work environments where they are spoken to in Spanish, and if they need to phone a company and have the option of "oprime dos" they will not be motivated to learn English.

Many of them come here illegally, have kids and send those American-born kids to school not knowing a word of English. On top of that the Spanish they do know is atrocious. Teachers will tell you that these kids will never fully catch up when it comes to education. Sadly, this scenario is common. The parents have been here for years and don't even make an attempt to learn English.

If you would like to volunteer your time to teach them English, there are groups that will take you on.
Wow, really? Have you actually ASKED these undocumented workers these questions? I have and most are aware that they need to learn a foreign language. As for sending the kids, what's wrong with that? Why do you care? Are they YOUR kids? No, so again, why do you care? The job of schools is to educate them which is what they do and honestly, no teacher that I know of has EVER said that they will not fully catch up when it comes to education because that is simply not true.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Really?? They must be pretty stupid, then. You're claiming that they up and move to a foreign country where the majority of residents speak English, and they have no idea that they might be at a disadvantage?

Uh huh. Do you have any actual sources for these claims?

Yup. How else do you explain that they don't make even the slightest effort to learn English? You would think that they would do so for the sake of their kids, but no.

Google is your friend. I can tell you that years ago WaPo had an article about this. If you are so curious, do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search