Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:38 AM

67 posts, read 64,101 times

Advertisements

OK! I shouldn't expect any news tomorrow either, right?
Happy Christmas to those who celebrate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 10:32 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Old 12-25-2014, 01:50 PM

um.... RUDE

Old 12-25-2014, 04:00 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
The last job I had, before I retired, didn't contact me for 6 months. They liked me, were impressed by my credentials but the job I applied for would not have been a good fit. When they had an opening that they felt would equal my skills (it did) they contacted me and asked me to start as soon as possible.

It turned out to be a tough job in many ways, working with Native American communities to help them get out of poverty, but the rewards of seeing their growth surpassed any hardship. My main position was helping them submit a contract our organization would approve.The president and Board of Directors made the final decision. There was much editing, rewriting and teaching. Once they were approved - all three of my tribes were approved- I then had to help them hold to the contract, go over their budget with them and generally help them conform to business procedures.

The position I'd originally applied for was as a secretary.

So you see, they may know they want you but want to make sure it is the right fit.

Last edited by meo92953; 12-25-2014 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: english

Old 12-25-2014, 04:01 PM

133 posts, read 175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysomethingjourno View Post
um.... RUDE
I agree the meme above was somewhat rude. But I wouldn't expect to hear anything yet, as many people especially those with hiring authority are likely out of office, or on vacation and likely won't be back until after the new year.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:08 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysomethingjourno View Post
um.... RUDE

Look, I don't mean to be rude but you really need to snap out of it.

Noone here can predict whether you'll get the job nor does anyone here know when they will eventually get back to you. As it's been mentioned many times, every company and situation is different. There's no advice needed for waiting. Heck, you could be the runner-up, in which case, you won't hear anything until the first-place candidate has accepted/rejected the offer.

The time to ask when you can expect a decision or when you will hear back from them was during the interview. Since you didn't ask them then, just move on and apply to other positions.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:47 AM

jaypee, you are completely ignorant of my situation. i asked MULTIPLE TIMES the timeline, and they said they wanted to hire someone by end of november. now here we are a month later...

do you guys think they will tell me the outcome next week, before new year's?

MPowering, please advise. Leave the snarky comments alone, everyone else. Jeez.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
journo, you're asking us (me) to guess. I understand you're stressed out about getting this job, but you are making yourself even more stressed by not following the advice previously given, which is to busy your mind by continuing to look.

I know you want me to say, yes, they're probably going to contact you next week, but how would I know this? I don't. There's no way to know, or even guess with any accuracy, what they're going to do, who they're going to hire, when they're going to do it, etc.

All we know for sure, is that this has been dragging on since November, so they are in no hurry - which means you may not hear anything until after January 5th when 99% of the workforce is back to work.

Now, does this mean I think you'll hear the week of January 5th? No, I don't mean anything specific by this.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more assistance to you. My advice stands, to keep looking and put this particular job out of your thoughts, because you're ruminating and obsessing about it, which isn't healthy.

If not this job, I'm sure you'll find something soon and I wish you the best of luck in that endeavor.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Thanks, MPowering. It's just difficult to NOT become invested at this point. Especially because I spoke to the SVP/my potential boss's boss last week over the phone!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:09 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I understand. Given the way this has played out, I believe they're at the end of the process. That last interview was for the SVP to either give his blessing or to suggest the hiring manager keep looking. Nobody has any idea of which thing happened. And, just because I believe they're at the end of the process does not mean they are necessarily ready to make an offer. They are taking their sweet time on this. For that reason alone, if I had to bet, I would bet that you don't hear from them next week.

So try your best to remove the attachment to this particular job and keep looking. If they call you in a week or two, it will be a pleasant surprise for you.

And please don't ask me to guess on anything I've written here. Guesses are meaningless and won't help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search